“Chic yet 'the greenest hotel in the UK'” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
England
“Chic yet 'the greenest hotel in the UK'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visit Bournemonth often but rarely stay over. A January sale offer on laterooms.com tempted us to book. I was drawn to it as my web research flagged up words like 'Boutique Hotel' 'Luxury Romantic'. It fully met expectation.
I really appreciated:
- the decor of the whole hotel including our room ( a large double)
- little touches like homemade biscuits, fresh milk, great quality 'complimentary' water & tolietries
- breakfast was delicious - it's always a bonus as a vegetarian when you don't have to have the fry up minus the meat!! there were 2 veggie options - i enjoyed the scamble egg&salmon
i would definitely stay at this hotel again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Wilts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a night here, where we found a beautifully decorated hotel and excellent staff.
We received a very warm welcome and were shown to our room straight away, where everything was explained.
Tea and coffee making facilities are in the room plus they go the extra mile and offer fresh milk and home baked cookies (delicious) or if you want a healthier option fresh apples.
The bathroom was gorgeous and filled with an array of "Temple Spa" toiletries and fluffy towels heated on a towel warmer.
The bedroom itself was great as the radiator had a thermostat on and you could control the heat instead of being at the mercy of the hotel.
There was a wedding reception whilst we stayed and understandably the guests took over the hotel which meant we only had the option of going out to eat or room service. The weather was atrocious so we decided on room service, there was no menu so my husband had to make his way through the crowds to get a limited menu, that being said the food arrived quickly and was delicious.
We only had one gripe and that is probably down to personal preference, the bed was very uncomfortable. We both had a terrible nights sleep and got up sporting bad backs as the mattress was far too soft.
Still it meant we were up early for breakfast which consisted of various cereals, pastries and yogurts laid out on a table, and an a la carte menu included in the B&B cost.
We had a full English which although beautifully presented we didn't really enjoy especially a very odd tasting sausage and cold toast.
All in all I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Over the Christmas break, we were able to get away for just one night, and decided to aim for Bournemouth. My other half found potential accommodation, but after reading through some reviews, I vetoed it (what DID we do before Tripadvisor?!). So it fell to me to find an alternative, and it wasn't log before I discovered the Green House. At first it looked out of our price range, but whilst checking out offers on some other hotels, a deal came up at the Green House that was just too good to miss.
And it was money well spent.
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome; the young lady at reception was able to show us to our room, even though we were over an hour early to check in. Throughout our stay the staff were pleasant and attentive. I was particularly impressed with the food & beverage Manager who took the time to help us choose a wine to complement our meal. For me, this was the highlight of our stay. Although the a la carte menu was quite short short, it was creative, and the food exceeded expectations. We opted for the Chateaubriand with fondant parsnip; It was the best steak I have ever tasted, and the sauce had us guessing ingredients and scraping out the jug. We finished out meal with the cheeseboard - or should I say cheese "tree"?! (I'll add the picture soon.) Breakfast the following morning was equally satisfying; I had local mushrooms on toast whilst my husband had the full English.
The decor is chic and stylish, and the emphasis on sustainable, environmentally sound practices was evident. This was what attracted us to the Green House Hotel and, combined with the excellent locally sourced food, made our short stay such a memorable one.

The only negatives I could find were that the bedding was beginning to look a little worn around the edges - such a shame, as otherwise the standard of decor is so high - and that it was rather a faff to get the tea and coffe making items out & ready to use. Perhaps a socket for the kettle could be installed inside the wardrobe if that's where the tray is situated?

Room Tip: We had a large double with lots of space and super bathroom facilities.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been searching for some time to find a good hotel in Bournemouth and my expectations were high about The Green House. It needs to be said that the food was great at times and mediocre at others, the service excellent, the decor very nice and the bed very comfortable - however it is a very expensive hotel at £245 per night and for that I expect more than we found. For two nights including one dinner we paid over £600.

The bedroom was very small with very little hanging space and no drawers etc to put anything in. We spend the couple of days there tripping over our stuff. The bathroom was huge which was weird when the room was too small. My husband slipped in the shower because there was no shower mat and the floor to the shower was very slippery. The hotel provided a plaster but little else. We are not the suing types but I would have expected more from them especially as my husband injured himself quite badly.

There was a strange green light in the room which meant that it was never dark at night - I believe we were not the only people to complain about this. I was told this was due to Health and Safety but I stay in lots of hotels and have never had a permanent light on in my room. In the end they covered it with brown tape - so what was the point? I would have given sleep quality an excellent if not for this light - the bed was very comfortable.

So in summary - a good hotel but don't think I would go back. I am more likely to look for another hotel which provides more personal service with bigger rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a bath or one where the room has hanging and drawers. The decor in the rooms...
Arundel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having worked over a very busy New Year & Christmas period, our two night stay at The Green House offered us utter peace, tranquility, a superb & carefully & locally sourced menu, as well as discreet service.

The attention to detail and quality of the fixtures and fittings, the carefully chosen colours and materials all recycled and environmentally sourced were exquisite and restful, and really should be enlightening and inspirational to us all.

I cannot fault this hotel at all, and highly recommend it to other couples, business individuals, and as a possible Wedding venue, as it offers a personal and unique service which one rarely finds.

Room Tip: The Roll Top bath is the biggest I have ever been in, very serene to bathe in the window overlooking...
Clevedon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited for afternoon tea between Christmas and New Year and had a super time. The high tea was taken in the lounge/bar room, full of comfortable sofas and with soft relaxed jazz in the background. The truly gargantuan high tea was served on a beautiful wooden 'tree' with this unusual cake stand providing the perfect display for a delicious selection of sandwiches and cakes and biscuits, two large scones each with clotted cream and jam and some unusual touches like vegetable crisps, some dried fruit, a berry compote and small cup of pannacotta, all washed down with a glass of champagne and unlimited cups of tea from a wide selection. We spent a very mellow couple of hours grazing the table and slumping ever lower into the sofa. The service was superb with arguably the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever come across. We had been hoping to take my elderly mother in law who unfortunately was too ill to make the trip but the manager cheerfully packed up a bag with her high tea for us to take back home for her, even down to the little pot of pannacotta. An absolutely superb example of what good customer service is all about. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with my wife late December for a night away,having booked it through the Mr&Mrs Smith web site under a special offer. We found the hotel within walking distance of the town centre, with free parking on the hotel grounds. This small hotel, as shown by the name, prides itself on it's green credentials (but quite why the restaurant waiting staff need the word 'organic; embroided on their sleeve did make us smile as OTT). Room was lovely, clean and an excellent bathroom (which seems important to the Mrs!). Comfortable bed. But the thing that stood out was the excellent restaurant. The food wasn't delivered quickly, as it was being cooked freshly and tasted exactly that, perfect, freshly prepared from fresh ingredients. We live in London and are used to good restaurants, and this was every bit as good as some of the best we have eaten in. Tasty, hot and exceeded expectations. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The wine list was quite good, although a few extra choices would have made it even better.
Even if you don't stay in the hotel, head for the restaurant as it is well worth the trip
So a good meal, followed by a good nights sleep and a full English breakfast that was excellent made this a good night away. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Not many rooms in this hotel, ours was at the front and was fine, no idea of the rest of the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Green House? Share your experiences!