“Good value for money but very hot!” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge Bournemouth Seafront
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Hill Road, Bournemouth BH2 5EJ, England   |
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good value for money but very hot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

After reading reviews on this website I was expecting the room to be hot and it was. I rang ahead six months in advance after booking my five night stay online to request a room with a sea view. I was told that they would do their best so I was very pleased to be allocated room 306 on arrival. I paid £162 in total. However, only one of the four windows opened partly, so we had to have the curtains drawn during the day and use two fans but the room was still hot, hotter than outside which reached 30 degrees Celcius during our stay. Despite this the room had recently been refurbished so was in good conditional and clean and there was barely any noise from other rooms or outside. The bed was comfortable for me as I sleep on my back but not for my partner who sleeps on his front. I was scared to move in case I fell off because the bed was quite small and definately not "king size" as described, (I recently stayed at the Caernarfon Travelodge where their beds were "king size"). I have been told that none of the rooms on the front of the building have a bath. The bathroom was very small in this room. The room was only serviced 2 out of the 4 times during the stay which was below the usual Travelodge standards and the choice of TV channels is very poor consisting of Channels 1-5; BBC News Channel; Film 4; E4: 4 Music and some radio channels and I wasn't able to access the free wifi (30 minutes free). I have stayed at this hotel four times now and have always had an enjoyable stay because the hotel is so well located just a short walk from the beach and the town centre as well as being within easy distance of lots of attractions including Brownsea Island, Chesil beach and the Jurassic Coast. We did not have any problem parking for free on the streets just outside the hotel and found the hotel carpark to be nearly always full.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view but beware the room will be very hot in the summer. Choose the back of the build...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Staying on business during July, arrived to find NO parking space available... The staff's suggestions for parking proved to be an additional £10 fee without security.
Very hot room with inadequate ventilation made sleeping very difficult. Street noise made opening the window impossible.
Breakfast was so crowded and unappealing, it wasn't worth staying...
Not an experience I could recommend to others---

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

i think they should do somethink about the heat and check cleaning staff i never seen any staff i had to ask for some one when i arrived i have used travel lodge for years and this is my first complaint

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Isle Of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed one night in July, weather extremely hot. Family room 223 looked on to the road with another hotel opposite. There were no net curtains so anyone in the opposite hotel could look directly into the room. This felt very uncomfortable. There was a fan in the room thankfully, but out of three sash windows only the centre one opened for about three inches (for safety, understandably), and it didn't stay open. Someone before us had kindly propped it open with a bottle of shampoo. Shouldn't complain about the heat but the room was stifling right through the night. It would have been better if all the windows would have opened from the top or the bottom.
We appreciate that cleaners very rarely have enough time to complete their task to a level that they would be happy with themselves. The bathroom floor was really grubby and dirty and could have done with a good scrub but where is the time for this...?
The bedside lights pointed down to the floor and not to the bed as they had lost their flexibility, so no good for reading by.
The carpet wasn't as clean as it could have been.
Having said all this, the hotel was its usual good Travelodge standard and we would still use the hotel chain again.

Bath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We came down on a hen party at the weekend. Staying in Bournemouth on one of the hottest days of the year is lovely. We went to the beach, went in the sea, etc. But you do not expect or pay for a room which is at the same temperature and humidity levels as outside. When entering the room, the curtains were closed to "keep it cool" but it seemed to me like all that did was keep the heat in. There was a little table fan circulating, and blowing around the warm air. The windows opened about 2cm due to a safety catch. When you are in a family room, with 3 people trying to get ready and the room temperature is about 35 degrees, it is unbearable. Surely, having known what the room gets like, you would install air conditioning?
Also, a family room (which was just a large double with a put me up bed) had 3 plug sockets, one of which was taken up with the almost pointless fan. When 3 girls are trying to get ready for our night out in the unbearable heat and none of the plug sockets are near to the mirror, it makes for some very disgruntled girls!
We had to go down to reception on at least 3 occasions to ask for various things (2 hand towels for 3 people doesn't quite cut it!). After talking to a few other guests, it would seem we were not the only unhappy people. To top it all off, one of the girls had her car hit in the car park and the area wasn't covered on the CCTV. So nothing could be done. I thought Travelodge would be better than this and I definitely wouldn't recommend a stay here, well you might be alright in the winter!

• Stayed July 2014
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is the best Travelodge I've ever stayed in. My room was nicely decorated, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Much better than rooms in any other Travelodge I've used. Even though there's limited parking, the receptionist was extremely helpful in providing me with a diagram of the area and highlighted the roads where I could get free parking. I found a space very nearby. The food available in the hotel was very good too. I only had breakfast, but it was superb. 30 minutes free Wi-Fi was good and thereafter very reasonable fees. Checking out was very professional too. The guy's name was Dan and he helped me by giving me a street map and highlighted the directions to a particular destination I needed. Excellent service. I'll definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is the fourth time I have stayed in this hotel since Travelodge refurbed it a few years ago. Fantastic location at the top of the Westcliff. Bit of a climb if your not good at walking, but worth it. Book well in advance to get the best deals and hope the weather turns out OK. Friendly staff. Didn't notice till I got there this time that they are now offering short free internet access. You have to be very lucky to find parking on site or nearby, but that is the same with most hotels in area. Pity that TVs only have limited channels. I would have expected that they offer all the normal Freeview channels by now. It was very hot when we were there and the windows don't open much to let air circulate - hence the lower rating for sleep quality. Don't be put off. We will be back again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Been to Travelodge Bournemouth Seafront? Share your experiences!