“Super food” 4 of 5 stars

+44 1803 200044
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 266 Restaurants in Torquay
Description: The Elephant is a two storey restaurant with the more informal brasserie on the ground floor and the Michelin starred, The Room on the first. The Elephant was the first restaurant in Torquay to be awarded a Michelin star which it maintains today. We aim to source all our ingredients locally, many from our dedicated farm in Brixham.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Super food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is on Torquay Harbour. Food is beyond compare. Often service could be a bit faster but you can excuse them that

Visited October 2013
ElephantRestaurant, Owner at The Elephant, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Many thanks for coming to try us out , I will speed the girls and boys up for you out front :)

regards

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The Autumn Tasting Menu is exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is our second visit to The Elephant and we were not disappointed. The Tasting Menu really is exceptional and exceptional value for money at £55. We both had the this and I had the wine-pairings. I was a little worried when I looked at the list of wines (South African Chenin Blanc, Pinot Grigio...) not my favourites but they were very well chosen. The only slight failure was the CABERNET SAUVIGNON CARMENERE 2012 Casa Silva Colchagua Valley Chile, which, while it was delightful in its own right, really did not have enough "bite" to cut through the fat of the jus gras - I would say something with a little more tannin (a Bordeaux perhaps) would work better. On the other hand, the ALEATICO DI PUGLIA was a revelation - absolutely wonderful and a perfect accompaniment to the cheese - I will be buying some of this for home!

Keep up the good work Simon, here's to your continuing Michelin Star!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Many thanks for posting both the review and photos, so glad you had a great time and I agree that wine is great.

See you again soon

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Amazing birthday treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband took me for a birthday meal and I can't wait to visit again. Living in the bay I can't believe it's taken us this long to visit. I know my husband had pre conceptions about tiny portion sizes & leaving hungry but this was not the case & we both left extremely full! Wonderful dining experience, lovely ambiance, excellent service where staff instinctively knew when to leave you be & when you needed something. I am an awkward non meat eater & also being pregnant I can not have some foods. This was no trouble at all & a separate taster menu was made up for myself which was equally amazing as my husbands food. I really appreciated that it was no trouble & I wasn't made to feel awkward. Amazing flavours in every mouthful, the salted caramel was like tiny drops of heaven! Thank you for making our evening & my birthday special & acknowledged with a extra Creme Brulee treat. I also loved our stick of rock a lovely touch.

Mnay thanks for a lovely comment, We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us , please try to get back in the summer when we have our first floor restaurant open and do a 10 course tasting menu form produce we grow ourselves.

best wishes
Paignton, United Kingdom
“10 Years for £10 – Lunchtime Set Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a nice restaurant with a good atmosphere and well presented, friendly and attentive staff. With the special lunchtime menu the restaurant was very busy, but the service was still excellent. I also felt that for lunch the portion sizes were nicely judged, and actually larger than I have had from other places in an evening.

My one complaint is that the main course did not include a side as listed in their on line menu, ie "2005 – Ballotine of free range chicken with mustard mash potato, winter greens and Madeira cream" had been changed to a pork dish and the "mustard mash potato" was £3 extra. That doesn't sound a lot but it adds almost a third to the cost of the meal. Add a couple of drinks, service charge and charity donation (which I did expect), and the £10 meal becomes nearly £35 for 2 people. No doubt some people will see this comment as being petty, but until they change the online menu and state the charge for a side I feel it is slightly dishonest.

I know this offer ends soon and represents exceptional value for a Michelin Star restaurant, but I shall return for a special occasion and choose from the full menu.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ElephantRestaurant, Owner at The Elephant, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thankyou for coming and experiencing our 10 year celebration. In reply to your comments we listened to what some of our guests were saying regarding portion size so we attached the main menu side orders to the £10 menu options. The menu changes daily and the menu's online are samples of what to expect. The Pork dish that you refer to is from our own reared berkshire pigs. The dish consisted of pan fried Breaded Pork ,grilled broccolli, pak choi and a gremolata style salsa.

We wil be continuing the charity menu throughout November for the price of £12.50 and we will also be running our set lunch menu with dishes taken from the main brasserie menu at £14.50 for 2 courses and £16.95 for 3 from the 1st of november. I hope to see you again soon

Kindest regards

Paignton, United Kingdom
“Travelzoo £75 amazing value, exceptional quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated my wife's birthday at the Elephant as I knew she really wanted to visit. This coincided with the taster menu offer through Travelzoo. Our visit could have annoyed staff due to my wife being pregnant and a vegetarian but this was not apparent. Instead we were made to feel very welcome and a separate menu was created and printed up for her.

We were amazed at the flavours captured in every course, all ingredients complimented each other. It is apparent that the chef feels passionate about what he does as there was great attention to detail throughout all the dishes. I decided to have the cheese board because I wanted to try everything and I was impressed that the cheese was served at room temperature.

I am confused at any negativity towards this restaurant, the portion sizes were just right and I didn't think the lack of table cloths was an issue. All restaurants in Torquay should follow this restaurants example.

If we were paying the full price for the menu it would have been worth every penny. With that in mind we intend to return as soon as possible to try something off the full menu.

Thank you for a lovely evening.

Visited October 2013
ElephantRestaurant, Owner at The Elephant, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thankyou , I am so happy that you enjoyed our tasting menu. We think it is tremendous value for money and I am glad you agree, If you join our mailing list we can offer you discounts on the tasting menu up until december. The menu will change every few weeks so you can keep returning.

See you soon and best wishes