“Will definitely visit again.” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1803 200044
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 266 Restaurants in Torquay
Description: The Elephant is a two storey restaurant with the more informal brasserie on the ground floor and the Michelin starred, The Room on the first. The Elephant was the first restaurant in Torquay to be awarded a Michelin star which it maintains today. We aim to source all our ingredients locally, many from our dedicated farm in Brixham.
Yorkshire, England
“Will definitely visit again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently reviewed The Old Vicarage and criticised the young staff for not being well trained. I'd like to invite them to visit The Elephant and study the young woman working the front of house as they could really learn something about efficiency from her.

The service at The Elephant was very good but the food was better.

We visited for lunch and I looked at the desserts straight away. I really wanted one so decided to forgo a starter to leave room. My other half liked the set menu and opted for the mussels. I had a few (so I could review them fairly) and they were very tasty.

My main course was crab linguini. A big dish. Pasta just right, in a rich ( but not too rich) cream sauce with plenty of crab. I loved it. My other half ordered the pork burger. This was very American influenced. Pulled pork in a barbecue sauce in a bun. Yum. It was served on a wooden platter with bowls of sweet potato fries, coleslaw and salad. He really enjoyed it. I shared some of the fries and tasted the burger and thought they were very good.

My dessert was caramelised lardy cake with drambuie ice cream. A comfort dessert for a cold damp day. The ice cream was terrific, wish I could buy some for home. The lardy cake and caramel was really sweet - some might say too sweet - but I enjoyed it very much. My other half had cheese and biscuits which he enjoyed, although he thought the accompanying biscuits were a bit boring.

Haven't got the bill to hand but we thought the price was very reasonable for the quality of the food.

We wished we'd eaten there at the beginning of our trip so we could have revisited.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Jacksonville, Florida
“A huge success!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Unfortunately we discovered the Elephant on our last night in Torquay. The Martini's were unbelievable. The meal was exquisite. If you haven't been here you need to go.

newton abbot
“Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The interior is OK. But not as poncy as I expected.
Food is fine, but not spectacular.
Too much cream and not strengthening the original taste of e food for my liking.

The service was not as good as I expected.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Torquay, United Kingdom
“It was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The restaurant is very nice, the food delicious and the staff very nice ; however didn't like the fact that i was "forced" to pay £7.09 for service; i like to make my own decision wen it comes to the service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester
“Great Grub & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

3rd time we have visited this Restaurant and we were not disappointed.

We prefer the more relaxed downstairs dining room to the one upstairs.

Visited October 2012