“What a joke ....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park
You added Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Kingskerswell Road, Torquay | Devon, Torquay TQ2 8JU, England   |
Ranked #22 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Torquay
Newbury, United Kingdom
“What a joke ....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

To go or not to go ... 3 nights, 4 days in a caravan in Torquay in October ..that was the question! I read, re read and read again the reviews of this poor excuse for a holiday park as money is tight I wanted to make sure we were not heading for disaster! How wrong I was .... This was mine and my husbands last holiday before our baby is due!!
To start off with I booked via Sun Holidays thinking Blimey £9.50 per night for a break away how bad can it be ... ha ha nothing can prepare you for the shock you get when you arrive at this place that I can assure you! I didn't receive anything from the holiday park for confirmation from our holiday until 3 weeks prior to our departure date when I recieved a final demand notice for the balance of our holiday, which needless to say was a little bit of shock seeing as we didn't know we were going there. So, I went online to pay the outstanding balance where I saw all of the hidden charges mounting up to over £100 - another shocker! £13.00 charge for bedding (which is highlighted on the website as free), £22.00 for entertainments passes (for 4 people despite only my husband and I travelleing), surcharges, supplements for 2 people sharing .. oh my days they were charging me for everything. After sorting all of this out, I paid the outstanding balance and was ready and raring to go.
Being heavily pregnant at this time I thought I best check the reviews once more before I go just to make sure it is friendly to people in my condition, and to be honest having read the latest reviews I was horrified that my baby and I were at risk as they were talking about mouldy curtains, no central heating, broken furniture, poor gas and electricity supply, car parks miles away and up hill and I can assure you after a few sleepless nights my husband managed to convince me that nothing could be THAT bad!!
Due to the reviews I contacted the park the day we were due to arrive to ask them if they could kindly position us closer to our car and the facilities as I'm sure all you ladies who have had children can appreciate walking is somewhat difficult the more pregnant you become! The lady on reception said "ofcourse we can do that but it will cost you £20.00 for the privilidge" - now, when I spoke to her I said the only reason I am doing this is because I have been informed that there is a rather large hill and the car park is miles away as you can't park next to you caravan is there any truth in this?! her response "yes, how would you like to pay?" so I paid the money to upgrade and we headed off.
We arrived at the park and I nearly turned around and came home it was dirty, dark and univiting. I went to reception to check in and got given a map, entertainment pass and the key to our caravan. As promised we were indeed close to the facilities, however it appears that I was ripped off as there is indeed parking right by all of the caravans, the hill people were complaining about was tiny and even this pregnant I would have managed it, and the facilities were so disgusting that I didn't wish to use them anyway. But they were pleased because they had lied and got extra money out of me!! So ..... the caravan!!
We parked up, took about 15 seconds to walk to our caravan, I opened the door and the smell hit me like a steam train. I took a little look around, I saw my husbands face and he had drained in colour. It smelt like old faggs with a touch of mould and pooh. The bedroom was so small that being heavily pregnant meant I couldn't walk around the bed as the gap was too small, the second bedroom which had 2 single beds in was big enough for children but you could never an adult in there - my husband tried and his feet touched the door, the bathroom was spacious but had pubic hair over the floor, toliet and sink, the shower was dirty and recently used, the kitchen was old and dated, and the lounge was old, with mouldy curtains, torn sofa cushions, 2 foot stands from the 1970's, a glass panel inside both doors which had no curtain to cover them so at night you could see everything!! But never the less I grabbed my clearning bag and scrubbed for 90 minutes to make it reasonably stayable.
We headed out for a tour of the local area, grabbed some fish and chips and thought we would head off to the entertainment that night seeing as we had paid £11.00 for the privilidge. We sat around the fire that heats up only the lounge to watch some tv - the tv had a lose cable and get dropping in and out of signal, the freeview box kept turning itself off during a programme randomly, and the rest of the caravan was so cold that we decided to head off to the entertainment earlier than planned. I went to get ready in the bedroom - now I know its October, it was raining but I never knew inside could be so cold. I could see my breath in the bedroom so getting changed was not a pleasurable experience.
Having read the entertainment programme I had prepared myself for live entertainment followed by a cabaret - suitable for adults it said. We got to the bar which was loud, overpriced and sticky to say the least, we took out seats and waited for the adult entertainment to start .. we waited, and waited and then it began at 9:25pm - a balloon show, a man in a balloon covered shirt came up on stage and made balloon animals for an hour and 15 minutes. Now don't get me wrong the kids loved it but REALLY, balloom animals on a Friday late at night. My husband resorted to drinking - £3.50 a pint and we waited for the next enteratinment to begin. A lady then comes on stage and said I hope you enjoyed the first half of the adult cabaret now here is a man who will sing you some songs. Excellent I thought, Nope wrong again, he sang out of tune, the auidience participation was none existant and he sang some firghtfully awful and dated songs. Needless to say 15 minutes later we headed off into the reception area to head on back to the caravan, we came out of the room to bit hit by a massive cloud of smoke, people had decided that because it was raining not to shut the door and to all hudle around the only door in and out of the facilities, even with security managing the evening entertainment no body said anything - I smelt like an ash tray and tasted a variety of cigs that night.
We headed on back, the caravan was so cold when we got back that we put layers on, turned on the fire and ended up sleeping on the sofa in the lounge on a plank of wood- the only heating in the bedroom was fan on the wall that was loud, processed air and made the room so hot that you were sweating so you turn it off and with the walls being made of paper the heat escaped in seconds where it became freezing all over again. So we moved the matress into the lounge and headed off to bed! The rain was coming down pretty hard so with the noise and the cold it was pretty difficult to get any sleep, luckily we had taken our own winter bedding as the stuff they had provided was stained, to be used in summer and small.
After a somewhat difficult nights sleep my husband decided to make us breakfast, now please ensure if you do visit this place you take baking trays, a spare oven shelf, a frying pan that actually has enough non stick on it that you don't burn your food and plenty of washing up liquid. The grill part of the oven worked fine however the main oven door didn't close so you had to cook with the door slightly open, there was only one shelf in the oven so you could only cook one thing at a time and due to the door being open the smoke alarm went off several times so you have to have the caravan doors open to stop the alarm going off. After a failed attempt at breakfast we decided to head out for the day. The local area is amazing, the beaches, the sea air, the local attractions, cream teas and acitivities you could do were incredible and saved us. We spent all day out and about on a tight budget however we still managed to enjoy ourselves. The only thing I would mention is the car parking charges everywhere are pretty steap so make sure you have plenty of change.
To be honest, I could probably write negative things about this caravan park for the next week or so, however all I actually wanted to do was say that if you have any kind of standards then this holiday park will disapoint you endlessly. Please think before you book this park, as they will not refund you any money or give out any kind of compensation if you are as unsatisfied as we were. I left my feedback form with reception this morninng she was not surprised I had complaints but she did not wish to discuss them any further with me. All in all a disapointing holiday that I would not recommend to anyone. If you read any reviews that say its not that bad they are lying.

Room Tip: If you wish to pay the money I would recommend that you get central heating as the bog standard cara...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Well all I can say is I am so glad I booked through the Sun holiday deal! I wasn't expecting much for the price but If I had paid full price I would have been furious! We were given the keys early to an apartment #217 (which I had no idea existed on the site). The word 'apartment' is far too grand a description...'grotty bedsit' would have been more accurate! Fortunately it was relatively clean albeit extremely basic and very tired. If you are going to cook you will need to bring your own equipment eg. oven gloves, kitchen knife if you plan on cutting veg (the one provided is useless). The hob was rusty, two of the six wine glasses were cracked. You might also want to bring binoculars to watch the tiny TV and perhaps your own mattress if you want a comfortable nights sleep. Badly repaired ceiling and walls that looked like a patchwork quilt. We did have a nice new microwave though. Luckily our apartment was on the end so we only had one set of noisy neighbours.

The pool was ok. You could buy a few basics in the shop but not much food as I suppose they would rather you spend money in the restaurant (which we didn't bother with), it mostly sold nic-nacs and toys. The club looked as run down as the rest of the site, filthy chairs and generally outdated. We only went in once to see what the tots club was like, this was only ok, I guess it may have been better on the music session the following day. I overheard one of the staff laughing with parents about a child who came to the previous nights entertainment. Apparently she was hilarious because she sounded posh despite being from Somerset (ie she wasn't a chav like the majority of the site's residents).

The lane that takes you to the main road was dangerous as people zoom along it despite it being narrow and windy. You couldn't easily stay here if you don't have your own transport.

Our visit was made bearable by the fact that we only planned on using it as a base to visit some of the attractions nearby. Paignton Zoo was great, Kents Cavern was ideal for the rainy day we had, and Babbacombe Model Village was quite amusing. There were plenty of other things to do if we had more time.

We will definitely not be returning, and would seriously be put off Parkdean as a whole even though other locations may be of a better standard. Thank goodness our next break is booked at Centre Parcs, From experience I know I am going to have a good quality stay there.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Just come back from a 3 night stay Friday to Monday and didn't want to leave caravan was lovely sparkling clean we stayed in the bell area in a denbury the entertainment was really good it is not hilly at all some people say its on hills :/ lush layout Torquay town isn't far away we had a taxi into town Saturday night cost us 10 pound in a taxi , nice fish n chip shop down the road and a little Tesco, really enjoyed it Would defiantly go back don't listen to the bad reviews you pay for what you get we payed 250 for our caravan

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

caravan very good comfy and warm central heating double glazing worth paying a little extra, site clean and tidy swimming pool like a warm bath overall a nice site only thing wrong is crazy golf needs updating and painting if you have children needs more for older children 10/14 need a car to get around but plenty to do and see.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

When we got to the park i was pleasantly suprised to see what a nice setting it was in and what a lovely childrens area there was, ideal for our 2 year old boy. The apartment was very clean on the first floor easy for all of us to get to! I was however shocked to see the z beds in both the rooms and sleeping the first night was horrible as slept very little! The entertainment was good and my son enjoyed going some nights. Torquay is a wonderful place to be loads to do. ie aquarium at plymouth fantastic, living coast, exploring babbacombe, dawlish warren for walking and amusement for children. Overall I personally wouldnt go back to this parkdean site as restaurant expensive staff half asleep! For a budget holiday it was okay but dont disappoint yourselves and go to this site in torquay its just not worth it!

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

dirty caravan through out, nets and curtains mouldy, lino ripped up in kitchen, carpets covered in dust and hairs, mass of blood on duvet, shower leaking like a waterfall. Site is old hat needs serious modernising. Restaurant was the only good part to the site. Having our baby with us made this holiday worse as he had to breath in damp mould and sit on the black not pink settee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milton keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Myself, my partner and my 18 yr old son stayed here from 3rd Sept to 7th Sept.

Whilst the apartment was exactly what I expected, minimal, basic etc, it was reasonably clean. The only downer that put us off was a very overflowing ashtray that was left behind the door on the balcony, but apart from that, a quick wash and wipe down and all was just fine.

We had travelled down by car, and planned to just use the apartment as a base to visit many different places, we didn't really use any of the on site eateries or entertainment, but did visit the swimming pool, which we all enjoyed alot! But once again, basic, but ok.

At first, like another reviewer thought we couldn't lock the balcony door, but once we'd figured out the 'system' of pulling the handle up, whilst turning the key (oh and pushing on the base of the door) it worked fine.

The staff were friendly, and whilst we didn't have much need to interact with them, they always were approachable and friendly.

What else can I say, it was a very cheap, basic holiday base, and did the job wonderfully.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!