“Very Poor in every aspect” 1 of 5 stars

The Hotel Balmoral
Meadfoot Sea Road, Torquay TQ1 2LQ, England   |
Ranked #26 of 97 hotels in Torquay
London, United Kingdom
“Very Poor in every aspect”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked the Balmoral as most of the reviews were favourable. However, our experience was completely opposite. Almost everything part of the building squeaked including door handles, our bed and nearly every floorboard which was irritating as there wasn't much space to walk 'around' the noise.

The bed mattress was very old, worn and uncomfortable. I was woken at 2am by the shower constantly dripping. The room also smelled of urine and noticed the waste pipe was not fitted properly. We also felt really uncomfortable taking a shower as it didn't look clean and generally was a bit off-putting showering with the urine smell around.

The service at breakfast was also very poor and having had to wait 15 minutes just to order a coffee is simply not ok. When leaving I spoke with the Manager about my experience and he was understanding and dealt with my issue professionally and to my satisfaction.

However this will not change our minds about coming back to this sub standard hotel with unsatisfactory service and level of comfort especially for the outlandish price they charge per night. We would not recommend this place.

Having since read more reviews it seems all review have been met with scathing replies from the Management and interestingly the Customers is always at fault never theirs which demonstrates they have no regard for there customers..

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ash Vale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is set in a very good location near the sea. It has character of the old seaside town hotel, complete with tartan style carpet! A most lovely garden with tropical plants including a eucalyptus tree. I found the manager on call, Alex, very helpful when I needed change of mattress. He went out of his way to facilitate this and I was very impressed by his attention to my request. Well done Alex.

We booked last minute and the room was not the most spacious or airy that this Hotel offers, but I was grateful that we had somewhere to stay at this busy time of the year.

Room Tip: Last minute booking meant that the room did not have a view, was on the small side and not spacious...
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first trip to Torquay, and after reading some reviews its fair to say I was a little worried about the hotel, but all in all it was a fantastic trip and we would happily return.
The hotel is dated yes, the interior looks very 70/early eighties but although not to our taste had no real baring on our stay whatsoever.
We stayed in room number 8 and although compact was comfortable and provided all we needed. the only real negative comment I can say about the room is that curtains were broken and didn't shut properly, we did try to pull them together but the rail almost came off so we left it! I did inform the man on reception and he told me that a previous guest had broken it and he was aware as he had try to fix it the other day but it had actually come off when he pulled it! (so glad we didn't yank at it after all!) he said he would take a look but as far as we could tell it wasn't corrected and so remained nonworking for the duration of our stay.
The food was lovely, plenty of choice for evening meals and try as I might I could never manage the fourth course of cheese and biscuits! it was brought out really quickly in fact service was excellent, you are allocated a table on arrival and the young man that served us every day was fantastic, very friendly,polite,attentive and an absolute asset to the Hotel. The staff are all wonderful and friendly. The breakfast was again very nice plenty of choice and again as others have mentioned I feel the "Full English" was lacking mushrooms but other than that was lovely, brought out very quickly and cooked beautifully every day.
The Hotel is in a wonderful quiet location, The lovely shingle beach of Meadfoot is two minutes away and is a lovely ten minute walk into the Harbour Centre. Although is very hilly so if this was a problem there is a bus stop immediately outside the hotel. The Hotel does not have a pool but they have an arrangement with the Osbourne hotel opposite BUT I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH DO NOT BOTHER!!!!! We went over to use the Pool and it cost us £20 to have use of the pool for the day but as it was about 5pm when we got there this wasn't much use at all and as the pool is very small, was busy with young families and frankly quite rundown I was most upset at the price and wish in hindsight we had used the large public pool in the Riveria Centre for a quarter of the cost.
WE would return as its excellant value for money and the staff and food are wonderful but next time I would pay extra for a room with a Bath as these are larger and not pay the extra for the seaview as although Our garden/sea view was lovely the sea itself was almost hidden by the trees so not quite what I had in mind.

Room Tip: Choose a Bath, Much larger rooms, and in summer with the trees all in leaf...leave the seaview.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is the 4th time we have stayed at the hotel. All staff very friendly and helpful. Food most enjoyable and served very quickly. Beautiful large garden with sea view in a quiet area of Torquay. Bus stop just outside the hotel. We stayed in the ground floor room which was a good size with plenty of storage space and a large bathroom. Large lounge with comfortable seating with garden access and sea view. Car park at front of hotel. Excellent value for money,

Room Tip: The hotel is very quiet, so any room would be ideal. If you do not want to climb stairs, book the gr...
Hornchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had previously visited The Hotel Balmoral in April of this year and were generally very pleased with our visit except the bed was "past it's sell by date", so we took three family members for a weeks holiday in July / August. We were surprised on arrival when we were allocated the same room as in April , but fortunately the mattress has been renewed and was fine this time. Our room was very nice and a reasonable size, although I did hear some visitors say their room was cramped. Our daughter's family room was also very nice. I think if we were to visit again, I would ask for the same room /s.

It is true that the general interior of the hotel is a bit '70's, but we did not mind this.

The staff were very nice and helpful, even though they were under pressure when the hotel was full. When I mentioned in April, that I would have liked mushrooms with the "full English breakfast" as most, if not all of the hotels or B & B's we have visited served mushrooms even if they didn't serve black pudding, a request was made to the chef and mushrooms were provided. This time I made the same request and it was a definite NO, "as they are only provided for vegetarians" despite the fact they had mushrooms for the excellent home made mushroom soup, On the other hand, unlike another person staying just after us, our daughter was provided with a piece of fruit with the evening meal ,as she did not eat desserts, which we were grateful for. Mushrooms please for the "full English".

Evening meals came with two types of potato and two vegetables and I think a bigger choice of vegetables , like peas and green beans would be better. Generally the meals were excellent, even if they were not always my choice, even with a good selection.

The hotel is set in a very nice part of Torquay and is good value if you go for "half board", so we would certainly like to return in the future .

Rod Smith

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Broadstairs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved this hotel.location was great,we stayed 2nights and would of stayed longer if weather had been better. On reading Susan c review totally disagree apart from it would have been nice to see someone on reception.The bed was the best I haver spelt in ,large and very comfortable .The garden was a pleasure to sit in.We will definitely book again.

cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The position of the hotel was very nice just two minutes from the beach and ten minutes walk to Torquay harbour , or two minutes by bus, polite staff, nice clean rooms, food excellent all in all a lovely hotel
just read a review on food saying it was poor and slow service totally disagree breakfast very nice(full English)service

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hotel Balmoral? Share your experiences!