“Basic accommodation, brilliant activities, great value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barton Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
Barton Hall
You added Barton Hall to your Saves list
Kingskerswell Road, Torquay TQ2 8JY, England   |
Wheathampstead, United Kingdom
“Basic accommodation, brilliant activities, great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Don't expect much from the rooms or the food. Adequate 'chalet-style' rooms with bunk beds for the kids. Living out of your bags for the week. Filling grub, served up canteen-style. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either. Given all that is going on you will work up quite an appetite, but you won't go hungry. In fact I came away from the week having put on a little weight!

However, the rooms and the food are not why families go to Barton Hall. It's the PGL activities that we go for. And these are brilliant.

I took my two children - aged 13 and 8 - and we had a whale of a time. My youngest isn't an adventurous lad, so he sat out for a lot of the daytime activities, but my 13-year-old threw herself into almost everything, and I had a go too. We paid half price, but the holiday would still have been decent value for money if we had paid the full price.

The PGL staff are friendly, helpful, organised and well-trained, and they made sure our holiday was action-packed from start to finish. In fact we barely had time to catch our breath. Everything was organised for us, there were few decisions to make, the kids were kept busy from start to finish, and I never once felt worried about them, even when they went off with the friends they made. The quality and quantity of staff meant that we could all relax and have fun, and the fact that kids couldn't just wander off site, and nor could strangers just waltz in, added to the sense of security.

Good stuff PGL

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
valencia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Oh yes, we had the time of our lives. We spent one week in Barton Hall and it was great to have fun all the family together. You know that during the year we are too busy and we can not probably spend as much time with aour kids as we would like. But here we had fun we laughed and we got exhousted.
The staff is young and cool, the food is ok maybe too repetitive but that's it, acommodation is basic but ok in the main building. Chalets seemed to be a bit tyred.
We will probably repeat and wonder which other PGL should we choose.
We made GOOD friends there and we will remember always our time in Barton Hall.
Cheers

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

What can I say just returned at 12 midnite and the kids already wanting to book up for next year ! We had an amazing time and made some fantastic friends..We had a great itineray and enjoyed every activity.....the kids can just go off on their own and they are so safe..the grounds are lovely and the pool is an added bonus which the kids loved ..Food is basic and accomodation is too but dont let this put you off as you will have the time of your lives . .......great staff and special thx to christie on the team challenge course and molly and gemma on the abseling ...all in all a holiday we will never forget and the kids certainly wont .....

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We've just returned from a week at Barton Hall on a Family Active holiday.

The kids and I had a brilliant time and took part in many different activities including zipwire, trapeze, dry slope skiing, canoeing, archery, orienteering, fencing, puzzle solving and several more. The group we did our activities with were great and we've made some new friends.

The instructors are all cheerful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic - even when the rain is slating down!

The accommodation is quite basic - but for the money we paid it is what I expected. The food also is quite simple, but adequate and filling. Again, for what we paid we were quite satisfied with quantity and quality.

This isn't a holiday for lounging in luxury, but an activity holiday where the emphasis is on fun, friendship and challenging ourselves and we had a great time.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a wonderful active holiday with PGL. The staff was great. We enjoyed almost all of the activities. The accommodation is basic, bunk beds. The grounds are extensive and safe.

All of the food is included, it is basic canteen food but there is lots of it. They work with a system of "bracelets". Every bracelet has its own colour and own eating time. Not many people stick to it. We were in the last group and often is was very busy. They do not always stick to the times. Our lunch was from 1.30 until 2.00. Often they were clearing up when we came in.

We had a two great families in our activity group and we had lots of fun.
The family challange took place after a staff party. That was a shame as some of the staff were hung over and not in the best of spirits.

We enjoyed our time here and will probably look for another PGL holiday next year!

Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We went on a JFK school trip to PGL in yr.7 and I had the time of my life. In the reveiws I had read people had said that the rooms were of the bare minimum but I think they were fine. The meals were quite nice and the staff there were really friendly. All the activities were REALLY cool [espeically the jacobs ladder] and the staff would encourage you to try everything. The disco we had was amazing and overall I was a bit sorry to home in the end! I would reccomend this place for school trips, families or just with a friend.

Room Tip: I know this isn't very helpful but it just depends whether your fussy or not!! :]
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Oh gosh....where to begin? My twin girls (aged 10) are suffering from PGL withdrawals and we only got back yesterday from a week of fun filled activity. I was hoping it would be fun as I went on a PGL holiday when I was 10/11 with my school and have never forgotten it, but it certainly surpassed my expectations. When I asked my girls if they would prefer to go to Butlins/Haven/abroad or on a PGL holiday next year, they shouted out PGL immediately. We are used to going to Spain every year so it was interesting abseiling in the rain!!!

I guess I would reiterate what most people have said. They don't advertise 5* accommodation but it's functional and you're hardly in your room. If I was going to be really, really picky, then I would suggest newer, firmer mattresses but that's all. Having said that, I think I was so (pleasantly) exhausted by the end of the day I got to read one page of my book and passed out.

Met great people, had loads of fun and did things I wouldn't have had the chance to do. Jumping out of a window and hanging upside down on a zip wire is a lot of fun when you're nearly 50...you can be like a child again and get that zest for life. We skiied, fenced, canoed, climbed, worked out puzzles, swam, abseiled, built rafts, quad biked, made friends and laughed so much.

Staff were great, and they truly deserve medals for their input. The evening was catered for with outdoor games for the children and talent shows etc. and adults could watch the Olympics in the bar or just sit outside.

On the food side, well, I was just happy that I didn't put on any weight given the amount I ate! I thought the food was really great. There was an extensive salad bar, and you could go back as many times as you wanted. The food was along the lines of cottage pie, fish and chips, chilli, pork steaks, roast beef on Sunday etc. Full English breakfast every day and cereal, yoghurt, toast and tea and coffee. Lunch was simple - baguettes or jacket potatoes with filling but as usual, lots of salad on the side from the buffet. It's all in a canteen style operation but it works well. We took a bottle of wine and no one batted an eyelid. What did annoy me was when people just left their trays and couldn't be bothered to tidy up. It's not a lot to ask after all.

We loved the outdoor pool and especially the early morning swim from 7.30 onwards. We would have liked to have this option daily as opposed to every other day. Luckily the weather got better by the end of the week and then everyone made a beeline for the pool after the last activitity.

It was just fantastic. I could wax lyrical about our time there but I would need more time! Definitely going back and huge thanks to PGL and staff. You were and are great. Thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barton Hall? Share your experiences!