“Excellent Experience - looking forward to returning” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bishops Court Resort Garden House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Bishops Court Resort Garden House Hotel
You added Bishops Court Resort Garden House Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lower Warberry Road, Torquay TQ1 1QS, England   |
Ranked #83 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Swansea
“Excellent Experience - looking forward to returning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I have been very surprised by some of the scathing reviews I have read about this hotel. I stayed for one night only but I was so impressed with the service and staff I will return next time I need a hotel in the area.
Firstly, the night I was travelling was the first night of severe frost prior to Christmas holidays. I stopped off at a Services area and checked my mobile to find a missed call from the hotel. I called back to find the Manager was checking if I was safe because of the weather, which I thought was lovely. I advised him that I would probobly be later than first imagined as I was driving carefully and he said he would wait for me (I was arriving late at night). When I eventually arrived at 11.30pm (I did have difficulty finding the location) I was greeted in a welcoming and very friendly manner and directed to my room. The hotel layout is a bit confusing for finding rooms but it was fun finding it.
I was astounded by the size of my room - it was enormous! with a balcony/terrace, a sofa and tv, kettle and tea/coffee making facilities. My bed was very comfortable and I slept very well.
In fact I overslept and knew i would be late for breakfast so decided to forego it and get some in town later. I had a call up to my room from reception asking why I wasnt at breakfast. I explained to the receptionist that I was running late and would just skip breakfast and she told me to go down to the breakfast room and the chef would wait for me. When i got there I expected to be offered a simple continental breakfast or coffee and toast, given my lateness but the chef prepared me a full English which was much welcomed and delicious. With more than enough toast available and copious amounts of coffee, I was a very happy lady.
I booked out about an hour late and apologised and told no apology was necessary.
My room cost me #20 b&b so I was very impressed with my stay, the service and the comfort, as well as the price. I am looking forward to my next stay with them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Business
Torquay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

My wife & I had booked at Bishops Court for Christmas lunch many weeks ago. Ten days before Christmas we had a telephone call from the hotel cancelling our booking. When we asked why the reply was “We have our reasons”. It would appear to us that as there were no vacancies for Christmas that they decided to ignore non residents who had made a booking. The hotel was known to us as in 2007 we held our wedding reception there and we were more than satisfied at that time apart from an uncomfortable bed..
A quote from there website states “Independently owned & with a new management team in situ since the beginning of September we are committed to attending your needs”. We have since heard that several staff have left recently due to management differences.
We would not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Stonnall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

The hotel has many amenities that we did not appreciate until we got there, the room was very clean & nicely layed out. The staff were very helpful in arranging taxis and showing us the best places to visit. Nothing was to much trouble to help us enjoy our stay. We had a great stay & will be returning in January 2010.

Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I red some of the articles that were really bad and thought what will we expect to see when we arrive in Torquay. My friends booked the hotel and had stayed there about 6 months ago and were pleased so we were not worried.
When we arrived we found out that our hotel looks elegant and has a lot of character. Only thing that annoyed a bit was the odour of the pool. Well, it´s only those premiseses that are close to that pool that have this little problem. After one day you don´t notice that anymore.
Rooms were quite spacious and bonus were the french doors to the balcony where you have a wonderful scenery to sea and Babbacombe area. You feel that you are somewhere on the coast of Italy - Great !
The hotel needs some renovation but you have to keep in mind what´s the price you are paying. We had half board and got excellent breakfasts and excellent 3 course dinners (stayed for two nights). Our room was superior one so that might be the answer for those french doors and scenery.
The hotel is situated on a high hill and we took a taxi once from the marina and it costed £5.60 - not bad at all.
£140 for two nights with half board is reasonable price and would recommend Bishops Court to my friends.

england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We found this hotel to be excellent value for money at £40.00 for the night including breakfast. The room was spacious with a sofa and we were surprised that there was also access through our french doors to a terrace which had fantastic sea views!
The price also included access to the leisure facilities, jacuzzi, sauna and swimming pool. Whilst in need of some updating (which was being commenced) the building has lots of character and supported with very courteous and professional staff. We came on a motorbike and the parking was appropriate and offered security too.
Excellent value for money both at the hotel and within Torquay's nightlife. Thoroughly recommend this hotel at this price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

we stayed at this hotel after booking through laterooms for a night out in torquay ,we paid £40 which was brill with breakfast ,the room was big witth a king size bed and the usuall flowery patterned headboard /chairs .
the room was clean but stank of fresh paint ,there was paint on the carpet and mouldy stains on the ceiling ,the bathroom didnt have a shower!! but duid have a very dodgy small attachment over the taps ,breakfast was very good and the bar is large and very nice too ,overall worth the money we paid but as usuall needed an uplift!

Home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel was really nice. I stayed here with 5 other friends for a weekend. Me and the person i shared room with had the biggest room. It was clean, tidy and we had a outside area where we could go to one of our friends rooms. When we arrived they said that the rooms where not ready but we were fine by that, the lady said to go look around, we did and thought it was really nice with looks of nice things that made it look posh. :P You could easily get lost in this place.. we stayed for £55 a room per night which was a good price. We had access to the indoor swimming pool (which was perfect for our group 2 of friends are swimmers) it was small but nice at the same time, we went it the pool when no one else was in. There is a jazzi aswell which was lush, they also had a sauna but this was out of order we where gutted!! There was also a gym which i loved, i have never been to one before so this was good. !! :) With the price we paid we got breakfast to, this was full english (well almost) cereal, milk, orange juice the normal stuff also they served you with toast and tea and coffee..

I will be going back to this hotel, they offer many spa treatments which looked interesting, so i will want to go back for that. Also we all injoyed our time at this hotel. It was an adventure for us!!

P.s It is abit of a way out. Our satnav took us around in circles till we finally got there. I think it was confused!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Bishops Court Resort Garden House Hotel? Share your experiences!