“Made my Christmas perfect!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Bancourt Hotel
55 - 65 Avenue Road, Torquay TQ2 5LG, England   |
Ranked #72 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Made my Christmas perfect!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just returned home after yet another fantastic Christmas spent at this hotel. Absolutely made my Christmas.... Always something to do, entertainment fabulous as usual, staff as friendly ( and a bit cheeky, Lol!) as usual and the food!!!!! Had already raved to the other guests about last years Boxing Day evening buffet and they had to agree. It was a feast for the eyes and the stomach. The chef surpassed himself, how on earth he carves fairy toadstools out of radishes and palm trees out of carrots and peppers beats me. May I say a big thank you to management and staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013
BancourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bancourt Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay here over Christmas, and for your positive comments. We're pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

just got back from our five day stay over the Christmas with my family a party of five. we had a brilliant time. the food was first class so much choice to choose from never had this before. it was five star trust me..not sure of these reviews saying food is terrible etc ,this is simply not true. it was 5star. as for the bedrooms two of our rooms were on the ground floor they were so warm we had to turn off the radiators this was the same in the entire hotel never felt cold anywhere. also I must say the three rooms we had were very clean and were well equipt. the staff went out of there way to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves and having a good time. what we commented on was they took the time to come and speak to us which you very rare get.
I must say I am very saddened by some of the reviews on this site. im not sure what people want ,well actually I do, they want 5 star accommodation for peanuts well get in the real world and stop giving negative reviews on this hotel its so unfair allen and Kimberley the owners go out of there way to make sure everything is right for there guest they would not allow staff to be unkind to there guest or would they let people eat poor food. this is one of the best hotels in torquay and we will be going back again next year .thanks again to you all and the chef for the fabulous food.michelle paul and the gang

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your nice comments about your stay here for Christmas. The team at the Bancourt all try their best to make sure the guests enjoy their stay so it is great to get positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

we had 50 people staying at this hotel for a 4 night turkey and tinsel break. Firstly i would like to point out that the score i have given is based on the overall stay and the price we paid.

We were welcomed at this hotel with a sherry reception the hotel is family run friendly and in a good location. the rooms are all ok just a little bit dated in places but clean and functional. as the group leader i did not have 1 complaint about the 30 rooms we had.

the meals offered a very wide selection and were all served hot and very efficiently. the highlight for our group was the evening entertainment bloody marvellous. thought at 1 point the entertainer was so funny that i might need to call for first aid for the guests they were in fits of laughter.

well done the bancourt we will be back!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
BancourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bancourt Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review the Bancourt and for your positive comments. We're pleased you and your group enjoyed your stay with us. We do like to describe our entertainment as "the best in the bay!!" Glad you agree! We look forward to welcoming you and your group back soon.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Have just spent a 3 night Turkey & Tinsel weekend at this 'Hotel' anyone considering booking I would think again. Hotel is so dated it looks dirty. Rooms were cold & some bathrooms did not have heating in at all. TV did not work even though we were told it would be fixed,it never was. Food was very school dinners style not much flavour or imagination. Staff were friendly & tried to please. The bar staff would not serve another drink until u returned your glass empty & attitude was surly. The swimming pool was disgusting & the whole hotel had a musty smell. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only good thing was the entertainment on the first night was brilliant.

Room Tip: Noisy on the front but do not expect a view as it all looked like a junk yard.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
BancourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bancourt Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
I am first of all sorry the building was not what you were expecting, but glad you didn't find it actually dirty. On Saturday we had a new aerial fitted and there was a problem with one part of the building which was resolved by Sunday.
Whilst our food is not cordon bleu, we do get a lot of compliments about our food and menu, with 35 items on there, people can usually find something to their taste.
The group you were with were on a bar promotion, one of the stipulations of the promotion is that each guest brings a glass back to the bar in exchange for a clean glass and a fresh drink. There were enough posters displaying this and most people seemed to understand the requirement. All in all the group reported having a great time. Perhaps you would reconsider and return - if only for the brilliant entertainment?!!
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was on a coach tour - the original hotel was overbooked so seveal of us were relocated here. Staff were on hand to help with luggage as far as reception and I was qi1ckly directed along a very narrow, twisty corridor with several steps to my room. Having had to pay a suppliment for a single room, I found it dated and cramped. The walls were paper=thin and I could hear conversations, drawers opening and the shower from next door. The shower room was freezing and so small that the shower cubicle door could not be opened fully as it was so close to the toilet. The water was warm but very weak. There is a small swimming pool, but I was unable to use it as solo swimming was not allowed. We had a set Christmas menu - service was not good. The wairess spilt half of my neighbour's orange juice and dropped a potato into the water jug causing a flood across the table - laughed off with an 'oops!'. A good amount of turkey was dressed with a few roast potatoes and 5 sprouts. The cheesecake was still frozen. I had hoped to be able to stroll along the prom or have a look at Torquay, but a hilly 1 mile walk made this impossible.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
I'm sorry you were not happy with your stay at the Bancourt. We do have several groundfloor rooms available on request. There is also a lift to all floors: unfortunately there are still a few stairs to some rooms. The room you stayed in is accessible by the lift, with a short walk and only 3 steps. We do not allow solo swimmers for health and safety reasons as there is no lifeguard. The potato falling in the water was an accident (it fell off the top of the serving dish whilst putting it on the table) and it was only when I mentioned getting a fresh jug of water that you noticed. I apologised and immediately got a cloth to clear up the water. If the cheesecake had been reported, of course it would have been changed. Please accept my apologises for this. We are a 10-15 minute walk from the sea front on the flat. Torquay is hilly as it is built on 7 hills. I hope you will join us again at The Bancourt - ask us for a room near reception - and hopefully you will have a better experience.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Bancourt for the first time at Christmas 2012. May I say that I enjoyed it so much I am booked in again this year.
The room was airy and pleasant, bathroom clean and a decent size. Don't know if they make a special seasonal effort with the food as it was excellent and we had no complaints in that department. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. As for the evening entertainment...... I have never laughed so much in my life. Other patrons confessed to being regulars and spend every Christmas at this delightful venue. Jolly good value.

• Stayed December 2012
BancourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bancourt Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas stay with us last year so much. Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor, we look forward to welcoming you back for Christmas this year.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights on coach trip. Every aspect of this hotel was excellent. Rooms clean and spacious, plenty of choice of menu, helpful, friendly family run hotel, cannot fault anything and we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter as not on main road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review about your stay at the Bancourt. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Bancourt Hotel? Share your experiences!