“A bit school dinners!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
London
“A bit school dinners!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Feeling mixed about meal here.
Beautiful place, friendly staff.
Expensive menu - had beef olives - overwhelming taste of thyme and stodgy if honest.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“bad fish day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

would not complain about the starters as they were fine I had red mullet for a main course of which I had my suspicions about as soon as it was put on the table the smell wasn't pleasant the taste was worse the attitude of the chef stunk More than the fish but rather than admit it was off he happily slagged us off in the kitchen where we could hear being a qualified chef my self I found this disgraceful oh forgot to add we have eaten 3-4 times there before so sort it out we won't be back and neither will I recommend anyone from the pub I run which is non food to eat there I am not a idiot know what is good or bad and this was bad

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were a group of 7 on a saturday night - the food was great but it was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff that made the evening exceptional - they could't have been better!
We sat upstairs but it suited the group and we never felt forgotten even though we were the only ones up there.
Great atmosphere and delicious food!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Glad we reserved the table”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We decided to visit the Church House Inn last Sunday, and reserved a table, which was fortunate, as the restaurant was full. Having said that, there was lots of space between the tables, and there were plenty of staff on duty all of whom were cheerful and friendly, and served wonderful freshly cooked HOT food.
I didn't enjoy the bouillabaisse, which did not have any crab flavour, but did include some fish stick pieces and flakes of fish, however the other starters were enjoyed, so perhaps I just made a bad choice. The roast beef and lamb were not overcooked and soft, the roasted potatoes were beautifully crisp and the cauliflower cheese was cooked just right. Normally I forgo pudding, but even though we were rather full, we couldn't resist them, the lemon sponge with ice cream and lemon sorbet, was light and the sorbet was full of lemon, the Bakewell tart and creme brulle both received compliments. I ought to comment that when we ordered two teas and two coffees, we were brought enough tea for five cups, and the cafetiere also held enough coffee for five.
The chef does not scrimp on portions, the food is scrumptious, the staff are efficient and a pleasure to know. There is a large car park to the side and rear of the building, and another in front which is a bonus.Would I go there again? I certainly would, and as soon as back in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northampton, United Kingdom
“First brief experience good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Arrived at this inn at Marldon, 3 miles north of Paignton, one day at 1.45pm looking for a ‘light bite’. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful and the food we ordered came promptly and was a cut above the average pub food. I wish we’d had the opportunity to book a full meal there. It’s a very nice place in a pleasant village and its apparent popularity seems well-deserved. Would try the restaurant when in the area again.

• Visited September 2013