“Sensational Southern Indian Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lavani

Lavani
35 Ilsham Road, | Wellswood Village,Near Kent's Cavern,TQ1 2JG., Torquay TQ1 2JG, England
+44 1803 203040
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 254 Restaurants in Torquay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood, Vegetarian, Asian fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Experience the uncomprehendingly mysterious power of culinary India at Lavani.With two prestigious awards in its first year of trading (AAA Award Of Excellence & Taste of the West-Gold Award), Lavani is a speciality Indian restaurant with an accent of regional Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine for the global palate.Light,modern and sophisticated dishes that pay homage to the power of culinary India,defines Lavani. Situated only a short walk away from Kents Cavern, English Riviera's most beautiful coves (Meadfoot and Ansteys) and the famous South West Coastal Path we pride ourselves on the quality of service and quality of our ingredients.• Mild, subtle and delicate Flavours of India• Cookery Demo and Dinner Evenings• Imaginative Indian cocktail and Indian wines• 20% Discount Senior citizens card• 15% Discount Hospitality Card• Complimentary Birthday Package• Winter Warmer Menu• Live Music Evenings•LAVANI DIY Spice Packs & Marinades. Party Menu. We are delightful in many ways. While for some it is one of the finest speciality Indian restaurants, to others it is an amazing English Riviera retreat. And there are those that love it for its rose water and saffron marinated walls studded with themed art, red chilli flavoured chairs, buttermilk swish linen and its friendly family feel. Imaginative cuisine, undeniably happening ambience, the flavours, the aroma, the live cooking sounds and the artistic display, presented with the Lavani signature of hospitality. All come together in perfect harmony in an exciting new avatar! Our Cuisine: Careful blending of genuine Indian cooking traditions with high quality, high-end British high in protein, low in fat ingredients not often found in Indian cuisine such as scallops,wild boar,goat,lobster,mutton,wood pigeon,venison,caviar,quail, calf's liver,ostrich and more creates unique and distinct dishes.We take away the heaviness usually akin to Indian dishes and we're focusing on minimising the usage of oil and fat.The extremely comprehensive menu of dishes demonstrates how ancient wisdom and regional traditional cooking styles have been blended with British traditions evolving to become what we get on our plates today.Dig in! Be thrilled! Let the spirit of Lavani enliven you!
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Sensational Southern Indian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Top restaurant for miles and miles around......beautiful setting, very attractive decor, very very clean overall with a warm friendly, attentive welcome. My friend and I had a delicious lunch here - the food was excellent and I can't wait to go back there again to have dinner!

Oxford, UK
“The BEST Indian food outside of India”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Utterly amazing!!!
This is the Indian restaurant which I have been searching.
The meat and fish is locally sourced, it's delicate, unique and totally delicious.

I spent ages trying to decide what to order as the menu is so tantalising. I eventually went for the Masala Dosai for starters- potato pancake. Amazing and, the only authentic one which I've had outside of Southern India.
I had succulent King Prawns in a beautiful sauce for my main. I can't wait to go back and work my way through the menu.
My Dad isn't a fan of Indian food and he was totally blown away by it. It's so so gorgeous.
I reckon once word gets out, this place is going to be jam packed every night.
Lush!!

fareham
“Nice different menu....perhaps a little less attention?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We dined here last night and had a wonderful meal. The restaurant was a little difficult to find as most people and taxi drivers think of this being an Italian Restaurant as it was until 3 months ago.

On entering the restaurant two other tables occupied, typical for 7.30 on a quiet Tuesday evening, the host and front man showed us to table and then to be honest was over the top in explaining the virtues ,expectations and future aspirations of his restaurant with himself and his wife from Kerala.

Food was excellent and could not be faulted, there was a slight issue with the bill though as we had attended using my 'Tastecard' discount which was advertised at 50% yet the bill only showed a £21 discount on a £95 bill!!! On questioning it the host said he had contacted Tastecard that morning to change it from 50% to 2for1!!! all a little unbelievable really

Buyers and diner beware!!.

Would I go again? Yes if n the area if only to see if the service and food are the same or if it is a new horse wonder?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reading, United Kingdom
“Something a little different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Myself & partner ate here, and were very impressed! A local taxi driver had recommended it. We presumed it would be standard Indian restaurant food, but we were pleasantly suprised with the varied and exotic menu. Service was a little slow, but with fresh prepared food and due to the fact it was just husband and wife serving ( we thought this was nice family feel) that's what we would expect. Food was delicious, although a little over priced even with our tastecard! Would recommend to anyone who is willing to try new tastes and a break from the norm.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Authentic Food Delivered with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We recently moved back to Torquay and noticed this little restaurant when visiting the adjacent shops . The spicy aroma emanating from within attracted our attention and we decided to book a table . When we arrived our host was welcoming and polite and very passionate about his food . The amount of dishes on the menu gives many options to all and I must say the food is incredible.
I order the chefs starter of the day , Green Tikka Chicken served with a side salad and dressing - delicious , my partner order the wood pigeon and was equally impressed.
For main there was just so much choice , it is very rare for me but i wanted to try every item and in the end opted for tandoori chicken cooked in the clay oven , with a lentil sauce and basmatic rice . I enjoyed it that much that once my plate was clean I ordered the same again ! my host was overjoyed but not as much as me as I got to eat it all again . My partner has a passion for lamb which is something I dont like to eat so it is very rare we have it at home so she opted for this and it was superb .
To accompany our meal we chose a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from India , ok 2 bottles ;) which was very nice and complimented the chicken dishes. They also offer numerous desserts which we didn't try as I couldn't move after my second main course !
What I haven't mentioned is that I suffer from Gluten and Wheat intolerance which can really narrow your options when eating out . Our host was fantastic in this regard and was very helpful in ensuring that both what I chose and what was delivered was appropriate for my dietary needs.
All I can do is recommend this restaurant , the food is exceptional and the hosts delightful and we will be visiting again very soon