“A disgrace to torquay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #140 of 248 restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: English, French, Bistro
Good for: Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Mambo in Torquay is situated right on the Harbourside with incredible views over the marina and the bay from both of its sun drenched terraces. Recently refitted and under new management the bar/restaurant serves fresh local food and pours the very best cocktails. Live Music, DJs, Artists and more are featured daily. Welcome to the English Riviera!
“A disgrace to torquay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited mambos and thought i would grab some food and enjoy the amazing views and sun shine, the food was stone cold and the service was disgusting ...bar staff talking about what drugs they would getting hold of quite openly while serving . This place needs all new staff and management and a goid clean my feet stuck to the floor , i couldnt get out quick enough!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great in the day, Cheesey at night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We feel in love with Mambos during the day sitting in the sun on the balcony, drinking purple rain cocktails, banter with the staff and people watching from above! We loved it, We decided we loved it so much we would come back later in the evening, however in the evening it became a cheesey "typical strip" place (Not strip club, as in "the strip" every town has one!) We were hoping that the chilled out lounge housey vibe would carry on into the evening but the music was standard 90's and 00's pop and chart music, great if you love that sort of thing but not for us, Also, strict rules on smoking, I was told I had to sit down for a cigarette, when they run out of seats its 1 in, 1 out so there were queues to go for a cigarette, Staff were great, cocktails were yummy, hand shaken and decent portions of alcohol in them!!

Visited July 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Nice setting but little else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited Torquay for the weekend and stopped here for lunch. We chose it for the nice balcony and view which was quite nice. The service and food were rubbish however. I ordered a bulmers with ice which had to be served in two glasses as they wouldn't give me the bottle, presumably because I was going to glass someone later on. My girlfriend's wine was served in a new plastic glass and was warm. Food took an hour to arrive and when my girlfriend asked for some tartare sauce to accompany her scampi she was informed they probably didn't have it and if they did would be charged for it. Apart from the setting we would have been much better off going to the local Lloyd's or Wetherspoons.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“A disgrace to Torquay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I have visited numerous bars and clubs into 51 years but never have I been anywhere that appears to be run purely by the door staff. The other night I visited after having 2 or 3 beers in other bars around the harbour. I was greeted quite well by the door staff when I entered. I had to wait 10 mins to be served an overpriced pint of lager. But not a problem as it was quite busy. I wanted to go on to the balcony for a cigarette but was told by a burly door man that it was full even though I could see tables available. As I walked away he let 4 scantily clad girls outside. I then sat at an inside table on my own with my drink. After about 15 mins I was approached by another doorman and told I would have to leave as I was over intoxicated. I tried to ask why but was told to get out. I also asked if I could speak to a manager as I felt his decision was wrong. I was told management had no say in matter and was physically removed. I could understand this if I was one of the many obviously drunk youngsters in the bar. But I was a middle aged man enjoying. A quiet drink on his night off.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cornwall
“Chilled and astro turf!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Sat in the sun on the roof terrace garden, good beer but had chilled beer glass twice, then a plastic glass ???? Didn't have food but menu looked very nice and reasonable. Bar staff a bit grumpy and didn't know the advertised specials on show at street level. Will return!

• Visited May 2013