“Best Indian in Torquay” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #62 of 249 restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali, Balti
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: After the successful trading of Himal Tandoori Nepalese & Indian Restaurant in Paignton; we're opening the doors for new customers in Torquay.
torquay
“Best Indian in Torquay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am half Indian and grew up with Indian food at home. I am also quite fussy. I think this is the best Indian in Torquay. Particularly recommend the Aloo Makhani. Very nice, family run, far better than your average greasy nonsense. Welcome Nepali twist. Well done.

• Visited February 2013
Animesh S, Manager at Taj India, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and the recommendation to our review readers. We're really glad that you loved our cuisine. I know it can be tricky while choosing an Indian meal when you're an Indian but I'm glad you like it and was up to your standard. Even I'm fussy when choosing a meal in an Indian restaurant. hehe.
Hope to see you soon in our restaurant again.

84% Recommend
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“Best Indian In Torquay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Myself and my friend visited here this evening for an indian meal. Upon entering the restaurant was clean, well presented and the background music was just at the right volume. As we took our seats a very polite and well presented waiter took our order. The order was a Chicken Balti, Chicken Tikka Massala, Pilau Rice and Onion Garlic Rice. The food arrived and looked great, very well presented on a hot plate. The Chicken Balti was absolutely divine! It was not your average, bland balti that you get in other Torquay Indian Restaurants either. It contained plenty of chicken, the sauce contained green peppers, onion and other spices with a couple of tomatoes. The taste really tingled your taste buds and just made you crave more. The tikka massala was in a lovely, rich, cream sauce with plenty of chicken and very well presented. The onion and garlic rice had a real kick of garlic, they certainly didn't go skimpy on the onions and garlic! The waiter was very polite and hospitable and asked if we enjoyed our meal and was very friendly. Overall this is the best Indian i have ever had the pleasure of eating in in Torbay. If their was a 6 star rating i would give it that. Fantastic and very good value for money!

• Visited February 2013
Animesh S, Manager at Taj India, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you ever so much for the honest feedback. I'm really glad that you and your friend enjoyed the meal and our hospitality. I'm glad that you found out the portion size adequate for you. SInce we take pride in our food, we want you to enjoy as much as we enjoy serving the mouth watering dish and thank you for considering us to be the best.

Manager
“Great food. Bring your own beer :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend visited Taj for a meal based on recommendations from this site. Initially we were shocked in trying to order drinks that we had to go next door to buy our own alcohol as the restaurant didn't have a license. However, in hindsight this probably saved us a few quid and wasn't a huge upheaval.

We ordered the tandoori chicken as starter and the butter chicken and balti as main. Both orders were taken swiftly by an attentive waiter and delivered to us fairly quickly. The meals certainly had a distinctive taste in comparison to other Indian restaurants we've visited and the reason became clear every now and again when the chef (who I assume is the managers mum) comically ran in and out of the kitchen.

The meal itself was great, the chicken fell apart in my mouth and the butter chicken in particular was the best I've ever tasted, despite this it was a little overpriced in my opinion.

Aside from the alcohol licensing issues there was also a very limited desert menu mainly consisting of ice creams. However, this was overshadowed by the fantastic food and brilliant service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Animesh S, Manager at Taj India, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you ever so much for giving us a try and recommendation from trip advisor. I'm glad that you liked our meal, quality and service.
I'm sorry about us not being licensed as its under process. Hopefully within a few weeks we should be licensed. I'm also sorry that you think my prices is abit expensive. It is because we here at Taj use fresh and local ingredients every day so you get the best meal.
And oh it lady who is my mum is a second chef as my dad is the head chef :-)
Once again thank you for the feedback.

Torquay
“Superb Food & Sevice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Lost count of the number of times we have eaten in or take a way since 2012.
Just had delivered 25/1/13 Piro Chicken and Vindaloo Chicken Bombay Potatoes.
Asked for all the meals Phal Hot and no problem exactly as I asked.
Food arrived spot on time huge portions and still hot out of the oven.
I only hope as time goes by the standard of the food and service stays the same
because if so I will neve use another Indian/Nepalese Restaurant in Torquay again.
Congratulations to all the staff especially the chef.

John & Sue in Torquay

• Visited January 2013
Animesh S, Manager at Taj India, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you ever so much for the feedback and being one of our most loyal customer. As you probably know by now all of our dishes are customisable i.e mild, hot or creamy according to your taste. Also our portions are huge because we dont want our customers to feel hungry in an hour or so, we want to make sure our customers are full until the next day.
Thank you once again for the feedback.

Devon, United Kingdom
“Incredible food, great service and very clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am a regular customer of the Himal Tandoori restaurant in Paignton due to their great food, service and atmosphere. When I heard they had opened a Torquay branch (Taj India) I felt I had to try it out.

I was definetly NOT dissapointed. The food is amazing and has its own unique taste in comparison to a lot of the other indian restaurants around. It also offers a Nepalese style menu which as far as I am aware is the only restaurant in Torbay which does (apart from the Himal of course).

They also offer incredible value. Last time I was there they had a £10 meal deal on which included popadoms with a 6 pickle tray, starter, main course, side and choice of rice or naan. I don't know how they can do this as they don't water anything down and aren't stingy on the amount of meat they give you either.

Everyone at my table enjoyed their meals with only one of us managing to finish their meal (due to portion size and number of dishes). Staff were very polite, friendly and had a good sense of humor. I don't know what else to add apart from go and try them out as I am sure you won't be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
Animesh S, Manager at Taj India, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and being a loyal customer of our sister restaurant. I'm also glad that you gave our new branch a try and was equally satisfied with the quality and service provided. All of our chef's are trained to cook the same quality in whichever restaurant you go to so you'll not find any difference in taste wise.
Thank you once again for the feedback.