“Decent” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Popped in for lunch, I had a ploughmans, very good, and the wife had ham egg and chips. Simple stuff but great value, decent sizes and quick to get to us. There was a drunkard at the bar but he was quickly and efficiently shooed out when he looked like he may start annoying the other patrons. Friendly staff.

“great pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Great pub but the toilet needs a serious upgrade. No soap, bar towels to dry hands on and a mirror the size of a postage stamp. I'm no snob by any stretch but I like to wash my hands when I've been to the can. (This lost you 2 stars)

Visited August 2014
Cairns, Australia
“You gotta love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Missus and I have eaten here four times during our week in Torquay, the food is good and great value for money. Tonight while contemplating our meals, Spencer arrived at our table with a round of our favourite drinks.

You don't get service like that everywhere!

Well doneThe Devon Arms and crew.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Best Avoided”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Based on the excellent Tripadvisor reviews, me and my girlfriend decided to eat at the Devon Arms and what a huge disappointment. I ordered the Chicken Breast in a sauce served with chips and peas for £8.95 and my other half selected the Classic Lasagne with chips and garlic bread at £8.50.

For a place that states on the pillar by the entrance that food is 'home cooked and locally sourced' the fact that the Chicken Breast was served in a Pyrex dish doesn't conjure up being fresh. In fact the chicken was so hard to cut up, it was obviously straight out of a freezer. The chips looked like the only thing that was made on the premises. The lasagne also came in a Pyrex dish and my girlfriend was so unimpressed that she only ate the cheese top with the complaint that there were huge amounts of peppers and nothing else. I also sampled the lasagne and all you could smell and taste were the crunchy peppers. Ultimately we decided to avoid dessert, paid up and left. Will never go here again, probably the worst place to eat in Torquay.

Nikki B, Owner at The Devon Arms, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Hello there,

Ive Picked this review up this morning when my Husband told me that we had received a very disappointing remark on T/A.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy your meal with us that evening, However we do make a point of always ensuring that our Customers are happy with their meal during service

I would also like to bring to your attention that we do not state that all of our Main meals are Homecooked! All main Meals that are made on our premises clearly state this on the menu. Unfortunately due to our kitchen size we are not able to make everything from scratch but do so where possible. I can confirm that your Chicken Dish is not homemade and does not state this, however it is made by a local company in Devon which I will be contacting today as you have informed me the Chickien is "Dry". As for the Lasagne dish this is one of our most popular dishes which we get nothing but praise for.

Once again please accept our sincerest apologies and we only wished that you had informed us of the issues at the time of your meal rather then saving it for a trip advisor report where you have informed people that we are the worst place to eat in Torquay, which is very clearly untrue and very hurtful.

Nikki Burton
“Outstanding Steak & Ale Pie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We visited The Devon Arms in Torquay last night and I must say what a wonderful experience it was. Not only were the hosts very welcoming indeed, but the home cooked food was a revelation for the price. I had the steak and ale pie, and can challenge anyone to taste a better pie anywhere. Outstanding, keep it up guys, we will come back again.

• Visited August 2014