“One of our two most favourite hostels in the UK!” 5 of 5 stars

Torquay Backpackers Hostel
119 Abbey Road, Torquay TQ2 5NP, England   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Torquay
Czech Republic
“One of our two most favourite hostels in the UK!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We spend there with my boyfriend in a double room about two weeks in the first half of the year 2014. The location of the hostel was OK, it was on the hill, near the centre of Torquay – a smaller, picturesque and coastal town (with around 65 000 inhabitants). You could do all the near sightseeing simply on foot, but it was quite distant from the train station and also the hill could be a bit difficult to climb returning from longer trip (but we didn’t have any problem with this).

For a very low price (28GBP per room and night, compared with other six hostels through UK we stayed in during our half year internship) we got nice and modern room with bed, TV, wash basin and solid wi-fi signal. The only small problem with room was the shared wall and even window with neighbouring dorms, because there could be heard every noise. The room (and also common rooms) were cleaned on daily basis by very friendly and helpful staff. Bathrooms were on every floor, cosy and very cleverly furnished; it really helped the family atmosphere that is promised on their websites. The common living room was smaller that could cause problems in a case of bigger groups coming, but most of the time it was OK. Medium-sized kitchen was well-furnished and equipped; there was a fridge with freezer and large cooker with large oven. There was free tea, coffee and sugar.

There was a possibility to do your laundry for 5GBP per a load.

Torquay is an amazing place with many walking tours possibilities. The hostel was smaller, but has really friendly atmosphere. We would definitely recommend this place, it was our cheapest and one of the two best hostels we stayed in through our six month lasting internship.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for leaving us such a kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here and look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stayed at this place for 2 weeks and I really liked.
The staff is very cool making a good environment.
I felt at home. Great space to make friendship. Lots of backpackers from all around the world.
location is also a good thing. It's just 10 minutes or less from the bay and beach.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I checked in for a couple nights but extended my stay as I enjoyed it so much, the staff and residents were so friendly, it has a great sense of community and it feels like home. The staff were really accommodating and everything was clean and comfortable. great facilities with large dining room, lounge and a pool table outside! brilliant atmosphere, highly recommend this hostel and Torquay is a beautiful beach town with stunning coast paths

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you Amy for your kind review. Hope to see you soon!
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I love Torquay Backpackers and have stayed several times, for stays between 1 night to 6 weeks! Sean (owner) goes out of his way to make sure everyone has a good stay. I once phoned him after reception closed when I was stuck in Exeter, (Exeter backpackers wouldn't let me stay because I didn't have ID) and he came to open the hostel for me an hour later (10pm) or I might not have had anywhere to stay! It's always been very clean when I've stayed there and the facilities are excellent. I especially like the outdoor pool table (with a roof!) and bbq area in the summer. The hostel is always a friendly place, with a particularly home from home feel to it, even tho you always meet people from around the world, which makes it really interesting & there's always someone to have a beer with. Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you for such a nice review! Hope to see you during the summer for a few mojitos :-)
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

A fantastic hostel with friendly staff and a homey atmosphere. It was fun and easy to meet other travellers or long term people staying at the hostel. The kitchen was usually very clean too, so you can cook happily.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Hope to see you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We arrived a few hours earlier than we had anticipated and were told by the person at reception that this was not a problem, we could check into our room early. As there were four of us travelling together we had booked a private room with an en-suite. We left all of our belongings in the room, locked up, and ventured into town. When we came back an hour or so later, it was clear that someone had been into the room as things had been moved around, and the en-suite shower had been used (the floor was wet and there was a wet towel on the floor). We had booked a private room, and when we informed the reception staff that this was not acceptable, we were told not to worry, it was just one of their long term residents who had a key! We did not feel comfortable knowing that someone could come in and out of our room at will, but the staff could not see what the problem was. We are aware this is a backpackers hostel, but we had booked a private room and expected it to be private. We had already paid up front, but the staff refused to refund any of our money and were unable to assure us that no one would come and go from our room and en-suite, and we ended up leaving and finding other accommodation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Firstly can I apologise that you had a negative experience with us. We do our best to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay here. Unfortunately this situation occurred from a very simple misunderstanding and snowballed into something of a fiasco! The review is surprisingly accurate and I don't question anything the reviewer has said, but there are two sides to every story. The 4 guests booked on hostelworld so we had no direct contact with them. When booking they selected their arrival time of 3pm, which is the earliest you can check in. We do advise if people want to check in earlier to contact us and we make arrangements for that. As probably half of our guests here stay on a long term basis we had to move two guests from the room they were staying in. One of the guests worked a night shift so didn't get to bed until 5am. Although he had been staying at the hostel for many months he was used to moving rooms and I asked him to have moved by 2pm to give us time to clean the room before the arrivals. The girls arrived at 1pm while I was on lunch and a member of staff contact me to see if they could check in. I asked if the long term guest was still asleep which she said no that he had just got up and had left the hostel. I was under the assumption that he had removed all of his belongings from the room, which he had. The guests then checked in and went to the room, leaving their belonging there. When the long term guest returned at approximately 1:30 he was still under the impression that they had not arrived. There are lockers and a wardrobe in the room so I assume they had put their belongings away which we recommend. He had his toiletries in the en suite bathroom and had a shower during this time. He later told he me he forgot his towel in the room, mainly due to habit of staying there for many months. When the guests returned they seen his towel and that the en suite had been used and therefore contacted reception to complain. This was still before 3pm when they should have checked in on the first place. I was out on an errand and only spoke to them over the phone. I apologised to them about the misunderstanding and explained the long term guest had a key and that's how he got in. He had since returned the key to reception. They were extremely unhappy with the situation and demanded a refund. I offered to go and clean the room again which would not have taken long as it had already been cleaned earlier. They were still not happy and said they would not stay here. I explained that it was a Saturday night in the summer and we were fully booked. We are a small seasonal business and can ill afford to have 4 empty beds after turning away other guests. They regretfully left and stayed elsewhere. So instead of turning them away at 1pm and telling them to come back at 3pm to check in which most places would do we thought we were being nice to accommodate them checking in early only to get a barrage of abuse and multiple negative reviews online.
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Facilities inside the hostel are very good. Amazing hostel in a really good location. There is lots to see and do without travelling far which is really great and useful. I really enjoyed my stay. all the people here are nice and easy to talk to. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to spend time in by the sea.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable.