“Nice scones, poor tea and coffee” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Nice scones, poor tea and coffee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a cream tea here yesterday, having had similar all over Torbay and beyond, I like to try different places to compare notes.
The scones were fresh and not too big or small and there was sufficient jam and cream.
The location is good and the café is clean and pleasant with courteous staff but the huge downside for me was the taste of the tea which was lacking. It maybe assam etc but in my case it tasted like a cup of hot water. I let it stand for a while and then stirred it before I poured and though the colour was good there was little taste. My friend had a café latte and the same applied to that - little taste and he thought it tasted watery too.
Perhaps not enough was used? I don't know but I was in the catering industry myself for over 10 years and I thought it was quite hard to serve a bad pot of tea.
Great shame as this café could be fab in a fab location and all on one level too, but they do need to look and taste their own products and make sure they are up to the required standard.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
JulieSweet, Owner at Burridge's Cafe Tearooms, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for writing a review I was sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your drinks which we would of been happy to change if we had been informed during your visit. Julie Sweet

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I popped into Burridge's Tea rooms with my family as we were holidaying in Torquay i'm not really the scone and tea kind of person so i opted for hot chocolate and their coffee and walnut cake , the inside of the tea rooms are quite quaint and i have to say that they didn't disappoint with there cakes it was amazing moist and delicious and probably one of the best cakes i have tasted and the hot chocolate was nice as well, my daughter has the bakewell and she enjoyed hers as well the lady in the shop was even nice enough to put a candle on hers as it was her birthday. We enjoyed the cakes so much that on our way home the next day we all went and bought cakes to take home with us, this is definitely a place where i would make a return journey to.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write a review I am so glad you all enjoyed your tea and cake. Julie Sweet
Saint Stephen, null, United Kingdom
“A lovely cup of tea.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The most excellent pot of tea I've had in years.
China cups, saucers and pot.
Proper tea leaves and a good strainer.
Outdoor seating for us to watch the world go by, in lovely Devon sun.

Chocolate Brownie very good too.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write a review I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. Julie Sweet
BRISTOL
“Lovely food, great setting & lovely staff. Could just do with bigger portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited here with my family as I had searched the internet for the best place in Torquay for a cream tea, and this was the most popular venue. Lovely little tearoom with friendly staff. The cream tea and savoury tea were both very nice, but I would say that there could be more of it - particularly regarding the savoury tea, slightly small portions for the money. But it really is very quaint with lovely local food on offer, and very clean and tidy.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best cream tea in devon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We popped in for a devon cream tea while holidaying in the area. I can honestly say this was the best cream tea of the holiday and believe me we tried quite a few. Two large warm scones each, plenty of clotted cream and strawberry preserve to cover your scones and proper leaf tea. Very friendly staff too. Would highly recommend a visit to anyone holidaying in torquay.

• Visited August 2013