“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We stayed for just one night, we arrived very late as we got stuck in traffic but phoned the hotel & someone waited up to check us in. The room was far better than we expected, very clean, comfortable bed, nice bathroom. Its in a fairly good position for Torquay town centre.Overall for very good hotel will stay there next time we are in Torquay

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

I stayed at the Meadfoot Bay Hotel, Torquay, for 5 nights in July 2008. The hotel is located on a hill, close to Meadfoot Beach and only a few minutes' walk from Torquay town-centre. However, beware that it is quite a steep climb back from the town - not easy after a heavy meal, but fortunately there are buses which pass the hotel. The neighbourhood of the hotel is very pleasant and quiet, surrounded by other similar hotels and residences.

On arriving at the Meadfoot Bay, I received a very warm welcome from the owner Chris. The hotel is family-run and I have never before stayed in a hotel with such attentive hosts.

For the first two nights, I had to stay in their single room on the ground floor. The room was a nice size for a single and adequately furnished. I found the bed comfortable and was pleased to find a 19-inch LCD TV with digital Freeview channels. The ensuite bathroom was quite narrow, with a rather confined shower cubicle, but was otherwise fine. This room is adjacent to the front door of the hotel, but this did not prove too much of a disturbance in terms of noise.

During the remainder of my visit, I stayed in a double room on the second floor at the back of the building. This was a lovely light room, nicely furnished, with an outside door leading to the terraced area of the hotel. The bathroom was well-presented, although I was disappointed to find a shower, as I had specifically requested a bath at the time of booking. The bedroom was of reasonable size and really was a joy to stay in. Apart from some minor irritations, such as a rattly headboard, my main grievance was the TV - an old 14-inch model with no digital channels, no Channel Five reception and unwatchable Channel 4 reception (so basically, just three channels available).

The hotel does not have a great deal of outside grounds, but good use has been made of the little space available. There is a car park and a number of small Sun terraces with a variety of seating.

Breakfast was included in the nightly rate and there was plenty of choice, with both hot and cold options. I only sampled the cooked breakfast once, but it was of a very high standard. My only criticism here is the very restricted breakfast slot of 8:30-9:30, which seems rather short and late, particularly for those who need to make an early start in the morning.

Finally, a nice touch was free internet access available on a computer located next to the bar. This was very useful for catching up on e-mails and finding local information.

To summarise, this hotel provides a near-excellent service at reasonable cost and a thoroughly pleasant environment for a stay in Torquay. I would certainly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2008
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Nice, quiet location. Excellent breakfasts. Near all amenities for all age groups. Excellent value for money. Spotlessly clean. Lots of little extras which made it so much nicer. Beautiful room as well as all other areas of the hotel. Good car parking.

• Liked — Room and view
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Me and my partner stayed here at the beginning of July, we booked via the hotels website and booked one of the special offers they had on (see the website!).
We stayed in the St Andrews Suite, and the room was amazing, very modern and updated! The little personal touches made our stay worthwhile! We especially liked the bed sheets and the spacious bed.
There was a minor incident with the hot water one day but this was sorted straightaway! The jaquzzi bathtub and the large bathroom was amazing...I've never seen anything like this before!
Loved the breakfast (recommend the full english!) and the service was really good! Check in and check out was really efficient.
My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer to explore more of Torquay - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we're already looking for another occassion to stay in Torquay again.

• Liked — The room we had - absolutely fantastic and comfortable!
  • Disliked — We liked everything....apart from the hill if you're walking from and to the harbourside!
Hendon, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Meadfoot Bay B&B was a very comfortable base in Torquay, although the girls sharing a standard twin were a bit envious of our "superior" bedroom (The Carnoustie)! The extra touches are worth it. Everything was clean and the breakfasts were plentiful and tasty. The owners were lovely, especially when I thought I had locked my car keys in the boot during a torrential rain shower (luckily my daughter's friend had them all along)...

As far as activities are concerned, the rain reduced us to visiting Torre Abbey (possibly the most boring tour ever; there is only so much information on where doors had formerly been positioned in the 12th century that 16 year olds can take!) and Kent Caverns. We could not believe that Cockington's tearoom stopped serving afternoon tea at 3.50 pm as did the nearby farm! Perhaps they should call them Devon clotted cream elevenses. We ate for England around here and vegetarians will be happy at the Orange Tree (Torquay), the Drum Inn (Cockington) and the outstanding Bistro 67 in Totnes.

NB If you plan to visit Dartmoor, I have written a separate review about the excellent Beechwood that we stayed at afterwards.

• Liked — Everything was to a high standard
  • Disliked — Rainy weather limited our opportunity to visit local beaches and go walking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Salisbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

We highly reccomend this hotel, especially the St Andrews suite for that extra touch of luxury. A wonderful family run business with warm and friendly atmosphere throughout. It seems that nothing is too much trouble for them to make your stay special. Very high standards of cleanliness with modern yet luxurius decoration which is inkeeping with the character of the building. We are already planning our return visit.

• Liked — the en-suite and the king size bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I have just returned from a six night stay at the Meadfot Bay hotel with my Mum which I booked as a birthday present for her. From the very offset the staff/owners were more than helpful assisting with my luggage and even providing me with a dvd player and freeview unit which was not even included in the "standard" room which was unfortunately all they had left. As I say I was booked into a standard room but don't be fooled, this was miles better than other so-called luxury rooms I have booked with other hotels before! My only criticisim of the hotel (if you could really call it a criticisim) is that they do not provide an evening meal arrangement so unless you go high season you are sometimes left strugging trying to find somewhere to eat at nigh time. The only plus side to this is that the breakfast served in the hotel is of such a high quality and plentiful that you really are full for much of the day anyway!

• Liked — clean/friendly/good food
  • Disliked — lack of an evening meal
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Meadfoot Bay? Share your experiences!