“A warm welcome, great view, small room with the magic Fawlty factor!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gleneagles

You added Hotel Gleneagles to your Saves list
Hotel Gleneagles
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Asheldon Road | Wellswood, Torquay TQ1 2QS, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Hotel Gleneagles)   |
Ranked #48 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Glasgow
“A warm welcome, great view, small room with the magic Fawlty factor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our night here. The staff were friendly, the Hotel was in a peaceful location compared to just other hotels in Torquay. Our room was small and old fashioned but comfortable with a fanatic sea view from the balcony. Even though a bus tour was staying the same night as us, we still enjoyed dinner and breakfast. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's good.

• Stayed July 2013
gleneaglestorquay, General Manager at Hotel Gleneagles, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I very much hope that i have the pleasure of your custom again in the future. We have lots of different room types in the Hotel may i suggest a delux sea view next time.

Thomas Monnington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Ilminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked this hotel through lateroom.com .. we arrived early and our room was ready.. we were give a room with a seaview which was stunning .. superb room with excellent view .. the room was clearn and tidy .. anything you needed .. breakfast was help yourself .. will definetely stay again x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gleneaglestorquay, General Manager at Hotel Gleneagles, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Cindy R

Fantasic review thank you so much. It really is such a pleasure for myself and all the team to have such positive feedback
I look forward to seing you again the future.

Best wishes
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week in July, on arrival I realised that I forgot my wife's Insulin. The manager Thomas took it in his stride to ensure us that all will be well and did so, problem solved. Days later Mobility scooter broke down again Hotel were more than helpful, problem solved. Staff, Food, cleanliness of hotel very high standard. Would recommend to anyone and will be returning next year. Thank U.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Really was a pleasure having you and your lovely wife staying at the Hotel. Myself and all the staff look forward to having you back next year.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights from Saturday 6th to Monday 8th July, 2013 with my husband.

We are a middle aged couple and wanted a break near the sea and requested a room with a nice view of the sea. I had read the reviews so rang ahead to ask the hotel to give us a more 'modern' room as in the advertising pics they looked nice but reviewers were complaining that some of the rooms were dated.

The reviewer who said the walls are quite thin and that the floorboards in the hall between rooms creaks was spot on. Our room - ALPINE - smelt anything but and we put this down to the room not being sufficiently aired. We finally worked out that it was the bathroom that emanated the persistent musty odor and requested another room because of this.

We were 'upgraded' to a larger room with an even better sea view (the CARIBBEAN) than the first and although the decor was still quite dated (I worked out that the pics show feature walls that add a modern touch although the furnishings are quite tired aside from this) there was no funny smell. There was a small balcony, as was the case in the first room, and a larger en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower with decent enough pressure. Again not ultra modern fittings but we didn't intend spending most of our days gazing at the furnishings and fittings in the room. We did have a massive double bed in the new room - which was very welcome after spending most days exploring on foot the undulating roads around Torquay.

The management was nice enough and acted fairly promptly when we requested another room (we spent the first night in the not so fresh one). The serving staff for breakfast were extremely attentive and I could not fault the traditional English Breakfast that was served up and included in the room price. We had dinner once in the brasserie; I had the sea bass and my husband had a burger. Nothing to write home about and the chunky chips that my husband had were cold and had no crisp to them unfortunately.

Would we go to Torquay again? Possibly, but would probably like to try another nearby hotel just for comparison on facilities, service and price. But really, not bad value for money for this part of the UK.

Room Tip: I paid over the odds for my sea view room and noticed it was cheaper if I had travelled a bit later...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
gleneaglestorquay, General Manager at Hotel Gleneagles, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Debbie
However i think at this point would like to add it is not a fair one. Room Alphine is a standard double sea view a room which does get requested by alot of our regular guests. The musk smell you discribe in your review was down to hot air and no breeze what so ever due to the current heat wave surrounding 90% of the country.
I can confirm we moved you to a second floor sea facing room which was much larger i would not say any of our rooms are out of date they all provide individual character with fantastic views all with there very own private balcony.
My management team hear delt with your problem with in minutes and found the best possible solution we could for you considering we was fully booked on a very busy weekend. I only hoped you would of brought the food complaint of cold to chips to the restaurant manager attention this would have been dealt with immediatly.
If there is anything more i can do for you please contact me directly at the Hotel

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Gleneagles with my wife and can say after staying at other hotels in Torquay that in my opinion this is the best of the lot. Lovely food (I highly recommend the steak on the menu), friendly service, the manager couldnt do enough to make our stay a memorable one, and to top it off we had amazing sea views from our room. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alex W

May i take this time to say it really was a pleasure to meet with you and your wife and i am so pleased you took the time to publish a review on your recent stay at the hotel. Bassils Brasserie is a growing product and i really do hope to make it one of the best restaurants in Torquay with fantastic food great service and amazing views which you experienced first hand. I hope very much to see you again very soon and please make sure you spread the word.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic staff, beautiful food, great views and really good location. My only criticism (and comparatively small) is that our room was a bit dated. Bt that doesn't make that much difference...because we had a fantastic time and we wish that we had booked in for longer.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andi F

Thank you so much for your recent review i am glad you where able to appreciate the hotels truly fantastic views.
All the staff really were so frilled to see they are making customers happy when they come and visit the hotel. Reference to the rooms we are always making changes hear and we hope to see you again in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

i stayed here for 1 night, great room for the price, clean and tidy. staff were friendly and helpful. surely would stay again, only next time i will be staying longer :)
really enjoyed my stay. thank you and keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shaza Woo

Wow thank you so much for a great review. I would be more than happy to welcome you back to the hotel. Please do go on to our website direct and check out our summer deals.

Thomas Monnington

Been to Hotel Gleneagles? Share your experiences!