“A shabby hotel in need of updating” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Ansteys Lea Hotel

You added The Ansteys Lea Hotel to your Saves list
The Ansteys Lea Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Babbacombe Road | Wellswood, Torquay TQ1 2QJ, England   |
Ranked #100 of 153 Torquay B&B and Inns
Bournemouth
“A shabby hotel in need of updating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

The outside of the hotel looked bright and inviting. Upon arrival, my colleagues and I were kept waiting for some time whilst the hotelier was on the phone in reception and he totally ignored us and there was no apology for keeping us waiting. When I was shown my room it was small and the bathroom floor looked grubby. It was actually clean but it looked like some stuck down floooring had been removed and the adhesive hadnt been properly cleaned off. I had a twin bedded room and the bedspreads were shabby and one had a large yellow stain on it. The sheets, pillowcases and quilt cover were however very clean and nicely pressed. I also had a lovely flat screen TV that I could watch laying in bed, although the reception wasnt great. The tea cups in the room looked clean, but when I made some tea it tasted awful, I suspect because the cups hadnt actually been washed properly. On the 2nd day the room was 'cleaned' but they never washed up the cup, the bed wasnt tidy and the room hadnt been hoovered - talc from the day before was left where it was. I was provided with a bath towel and a bar of soap only - no hand towel or any other normal hotel offerings were in evidence - this is a no frills hotel!
At breakfast we were given no choice - just 'full english' which firstly came without sausages! When we asked where the sausages were we were told we had mushrooms - but after persisting we were brought some sausages. The waiter was keen to get away and whipped away plates etc before my colleagues had finished. The coffee was lukewarm and greasy and the tea was even colder! On the second day we were given more choice, but the food was just slopped on the plate from the warming dishes with no care for presentation or hygiene and the fried bread had sat there so long it was like cardboard.
In addition to the above, the swimming pool was not in use as it was grubby, the bar wasnt opened in the evening as it was in use for some sort of training session.
Thankfully my stay there was short and paid for by someone else as I was attending a conference.
This hotel needs some updating and some customer service training for its staff, but I wouldnt stay there again and I certainly wouldnt reccomend it to anyone else until there has been a change of management or I was assured of significant improvements.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Our stay at Ansteys Lea was very enjoyable - the breakfast was varied and tasty - the evening meal was very good value for £12.50. The room had free view television and a fridge which for £25 per person was extremely good value.

• Liked — good value and friendly staff and family run hotel
  • Disliked — it was exactly what we expected and we had a great holiday there
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

I think this is a lovely, clean, well maintained hotel, and I would reccommend it to anyone. The decor could be described as "dated" (flocked wallpaper, gold photoframes etc..) but I think the point is it was very well maintained and clean. Personally I thought the decor was ace!

Our room was clean, spacious and well maintained, with respectful cleaners.

The swimming pool was quiet, clean and sheltered. And the front gardens were gorgeous and immaculately kept. And there was a lovely little bar and TV lounge, none of this I could honestly fault.

We didn't eat at the hotel because we were generally out at that time, so I can't comment on the food!

I agree with the comment above about the stag and hen parties. When my boyfriend and I stayed we had a rather rude group of males sadly staying next door to us and they were very noisy. HOWEVER this was down to their own rudeness and thoughtlessness, nothing to do with the hotel itself! The hotel owner was very apologetic and that was enough for us!

We'll definitely be returning next summer.

• Liked — The comfort and cleaniness of the hotel in general
  • Disliked — The noisy neighbours!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bournemouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

The proprietor was friendly and helpful. That's about all this hotel has going for it.

The Ansteys Lea seems to be a hotel that caters for the increasing number of stag and hen parties that invade seaside towns during the Summer months in the UK. Needless to say this leads to noise problems.

The carpets, curtains, beds and in fact all the decor looks like it's straight out of the early 1980s and the bed I stayed in was not comfortable. The bathroom was functional but was not pleasant. It appeared clean at least. The television didn't work very well and only had four channels.

Overall this hotel has so much potential. It's location is reasonable and if it was updated it could charge a lot more money.

You won't pay much to stay here and you won't get much to make your stay all that pleasant either.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ansteys Lea Hotel? Share your experiences!