“Truly delightful but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rose Cottage Tea Rooms

Rose Cottage Tea Rooms
Totnes Road | Cockington Village, Torquay TQ2 6XA, England (Formerly Rose Cottage)
01803 606607
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 17 Coffee & Tea in Torquay
Cuisines: British, Tea Room
“Truly delightful but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We came here on Trip Advisor reviews. We were certainly not disappointed.
Great cakes and enormous scones with jam and cream enjoyed. However the scones are bulk cellophane wrapped and finished off in the oven. This I noticed whilst waiting for the loo. The jam is chefs larder spooned out of a tub. Not quite what I expected from such a pretty establishment. A bit of locally made would have tasted better.
The setting is delightful and the pianist really sets the tone. My mother and I were the only ones to applaud and were amazed to see no one else joined us in appreciation of him!
One note to the short haired mature blonde lady behind the counter.. As a customer it's usually better to be greeted with a smile before demanding my table number! She practically barked at me before taking my order! I'm sure you know your job and need efficiency but manners please.
It's very clean and the setting is lovely but a lot of the atmosphere comes from the pianist. We came back twice just for this. A most enjoyable hour but counter lady rather miserable.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lincolnshire
“Dissapointing Rose Cottage Tea Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have visited Devon since 1977 and have frequently visited the Rose Cottage tea rooms, were we have enjoyed a lovely cream tea in beautiful surroundings. I have not visited Devon for a few years, so last week at short notice we drove down. I kept off having a cream tea with my wife at other locations, trying to paint a picture of nothing would compare to Rose Cottage. What an absolute let down and disappointment. The staff were stressed and left me standing with my order whilst they ignored me. When I was served the lady was abrupt and explained that a drink was extra with their cream tea! The choice of cakes was poor compared with previous visits and the homemade milkshake I had promised my daughter turned out to be a bottle of "Yazoo". My memories and illusions was shattered.

“Poor customer service - long wait for dire food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Took visitors to the lovely setting of Rose Cottage Tea Room in Cockington. Embarrassed by miserable staff, wasps (!) , ridiculously long wait for food- which when questioned after 45 min wait were challenged by staff on length of wait! No apology when food finally arrived, which was dire and microwaved to death! Restuarant only half full so no excuse for this appalling service to paying customers - enjoy the scenery,you will be looking at it long enough ! AVOID!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hillingdon
“Perfect late lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We walked here from our hotel on the afternoon of our first day in Torquay. The first thing we heard was piano playing and then realised there was more so we stopped for a late lunch in the sunshine. We spent a very happy hour listening to the music and enjoying a mackerel salad and prawn salad which were ample and tasty. Beautiful setting and unique. Disappointed that more people didn't show their appreciation for the wide variety of very well executed music of the piano player. Very friendly and prompt service too.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Poitiers, France
“Romantic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This must be one of the prettiest tea rooms in the country and the live pianist playing all the romantic old favourites makes it extra special. The food, which is excellent, is almost superfluous!!

Visited July 2013