“Lovely place and super staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Orestone Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rockhouse Lane | Maidencombe, Torquay TQ1 4SX, England   |
Ranked #11 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely place and super staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on 3 separate occasions and always receive a good welcome. It is a family run business and the owners always come and speak to all of their guests making you feel like one of the family. They can judge it perfectly when you want to speak and when you want to be left alone. Mthe rooms are bright and clean and the garden is nice. I love the breakfasts. The yoghourt and the blackberry compote is to die for. I could easily eat my own body weight in it. They try and source their food directly from local farmers and have an interesting selection of local ales. Go for one of the murder mystery evenings where your fellow guests are as interesting if no more so than the actors. I keep looking for an excuse to go back to this place with my wife, hopefully we can make it soon.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is on the garden side. By the way go for Sunday lunchtoo, the chef is good...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We arranged a three night stay for the price of two for our anniversary. When checking in we were met by Tom who carried our cases to the room and made us feel most welcome. Room 6 is to the side of the house with its own private balcony. It is of a excellent size and the bathroom is huge and well stocked. The first evening we ate of the a la carte menu - superb. The second evening we ate of the bistro menu , again excellent. We were given complimentary drinks for our anniversary which was appreciated. It was lovely to be able to order your food in the lounge by the log fire, then to be taken to your table when the chef was ready for you and again retire to the log fire for after dinner drinks ( whiskey and hot chocolate !). The staff are very attentive, nothing is a problem at all. Our only slight moans are on our last night we ate in Torquay but upon returning to the hotel at 20.45 the main door was locked but we had our key.We were looking forward to our bedtime drinks but nobody was around. We rang the red button as requested on the wall but nobody came. We retired to our room disappointed.This is the only reason why we didn't award 5 stars. Other minor issues, the hair dryer does not have a long enough cable to easily reach to enable you to dry your hair whilst looking in the mirror, The wall is chipped and marked badly by the bedside nearest the door which detracts from the otherwise excellent condition of the room. Breakfast was excellent with no complaints at all. We would certainly return to the hotel again and would recommend it to family, friends and work colleagues.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
orestone, Owner at The Orestone Manor, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are very happy that you had such a nice stay with us.
I remember the night you were out to dinner was a very quiet winter sunday and I let the staff go early. I slipped the catch for security while I was checking out some water dripping outside from an overflow in one of the rooms. I left the bar open but failed to take the pager, when I returned I realised I had missed you when I noticed your car was back in the car park I was sorry I missed you and was not available to offer you a drink. Hopefully you will return where upon we will offer a nightcap or two on the house by way of an apology.
The other small issues with the hairdryer and wall chip have already been resolved. Thank you for pointing this out as housekeeping had not reported/ noticed this.
Kind Regards
Neil D'allen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at Orestone Manor as part of a rather last minute business trip. Recommended by a colleague, and a very good choice. The service was excellent, the staff were helpful on the phone, and just as pleasent in person. The selection of beers at the bar worked well for me as a real ale fan and the food was also superb. To go with the food was further first class service. In the morning the sun revealed a superb view of the sea and a lovely setting.

The thing which stands between 4 and 5 stars on this reviews was that staying in early February I was cold in the night and no amount of searching revealed any extra blankets in the room. But for the other three seasons it would be perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
orestone, Owner at The Orestone Manor, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our hospitality welcoming and the food good too. We are making every effort to maintain first class service.
I am sorry your room was not warm enough. This is not a problem we have had before. There are temperature controls for room comfort on the radiators and electric boost heaters are in some rooms and also available by request. Perhaps we did not leave instruction about this and I am sorry if that was the case. We will also update the rooms welcome book to include this information. There are bed spreads/ quilts at the end of the beds which can be used, but there should be extra blanket in the cupboard and I will investigate as to why this appears to have been missing.
I would invite you to have another stay over with us and if you contact me I will give you a special rate which will allow us to demonstrate our normally cosy rooms.
Yours Sincerely
Neil D'allen
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This charming place has the "wow" factor which made the whole experience memorable. We stayed in the Horsley room, with it's elegant sophisticated decor and four poster bed. The view of the sea from the room, added to the wonder. The staff were most welcoming.
The restaurant had lovely ambience, but perhaps the dinner was a little neutral for my more exotic tastebuds.
A short walk takes you to a secluded bay by the sea.
We would certainly stay there again and would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
orestone, Front Office Manager at The Orestone Manor, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
We are so pleased you had such a lovely time with us. The Horsley Room would have been the master bedroom when the manor was a family home when William Horsley and his family (along with his brother in law Isambard Brunel) came for their Summer holidays.
The chef does focus mainly on traditional European dishes with his own personal touches using local produce so we don't usually have the more exotic type dishes on the menu but should you come again I am sure he can whip something up for you!
Best,
Laura
Reception
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have just spent Christmas at the Orestone and it was absolutely perfect. The whole package was better than advertised, the staff extremely friendly and welcoming and the food delicious.
This was the first time I have ever spent Christmas in a hotel and I would certainly go back next year if our circumstances allow.
The rooms are all individually designed and very tasteful, with all the extra little additions that make a hotel special.
Nothing was too much trouble and we would like to thank Neil, Catherine and their hard-working team for an absolutely fabulous Christmas.
(I also agree with Micky38 that it is a shame that Trip Advsor cannot be re-rest when ownership transfers as none of the old comments are relevant in the slighest).

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best. Rooms on the top floor have low sloping ceilings but also have a huge a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. You may like to know that we have finally managed to get Trip Adivsor to take off the outdated comments that were posted under the previous ownership!
Best,
Laura
Reception Manager
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My Husband and I held our Wedding Reception at the Orestone in October 2012. It was such a perfect venue - the hotel is lovely, the rooms are charming, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and the food was delicious, it was my dream wedding venue for an Intimate and stylish celebration. I highly commend this hotel to you for a romantic weekend away, or to celebrate your wedding. We look forward to returning for our Anniversary.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and beautifully decorated. We chose the Horsley suite which is stunning.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The new owners (Neil, Catherine and family) have done an excellent job of trying to get this establishment (Restaurant with Rooms) back to where it rightfully belongs as one of the best hotels / restaurants in Torbay.
It is a pity the Trip Advisor reports seem to carry on when an establishment changes hands. The new owners have now been there for 16 months and have made significant changes all of which are excellent and now Orestone seems to be cared for once again!!!
The rooms are a high standard and the food and service are a high 2 rosette standard.
My advice is don’t believe anything older than 15 months = the reports since that time have all been good – we returned we were not disappointed, we will return again

Room Tip: Rooms with sea views are best - only a little more expensive
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Orestone Manor? Share your experiences!