“Quintessentially English - The Perfect Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Colindale Guest House
20 Rathmore Rd | Chelston, Torquay TQ2 6NY, England   |
Ranked #45 of 97 hotels in Torquay
London
“Quintessentially English - The Perfect Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Colindale Hotel for 4 days at the beginning of September and I couldn't have asked for a nicer place to stay.

I arrived in the afternoon, and was immediately greeted by Barry & Sven. They kindly took my luggage and provide tea for me in their elegant drawing room which contains a treasure trove of antiques and interesting books (all of which I was invited to read at my leisure).

After tea I was shown to my room which was tastefully furnished and had all the amenities one would wish for including tea/coffee/biscuits and a host of toiletries in the bathroom. It was nice to see these features, as many hotels (notably the chain hotels) are gradually removing tea/coffee facilities in bedrooms in an attempt to make you pay for room service. I have stayed in some of the best hotels all over the world during my travels, and I can honestly say that my bed at the Colindale was one of, if not, the best beds I have ever slept in (which made it somewhat difficult to rise for breakfast in the mornings). The room & bathroom were immaculately clean and well presented (something I hold in high regard).

Breakfast at the Colindale is such a wonderful affair that I ensured I never missed it. Barry & Sven clearly know the importance of a good breakfast to start the day as they have an extensive breakfast menu. There was a number of different cereals, fruit, yogurt, and fresh juices to choose from on the breakfast table. In addition, each table had a little menu which listed the cooked breakfast options, and to my delight included Hash Browns (why do so many hotels not serve these?). Safe to say, I had a delicious breakfast every morning, and Barry and Sven were most kind to tailor this to my dietary requirements. The breakfast room is very comfortable and also has some lovely antiques to admire.

Barry & Sven were most kind in providing maps & tourist information for Torquay and the surrounding areas, and the location of the hotel is perfect, minutes from both Torquay station and the beach.

This hotel is beautifully decorated in a traditional British style, which makes it very comfortable. It is clear that Barry & Sven take real pride in operating an establishment of such high calibre and I am so grateful to have found it.

I will for sure be returning for regular breaks as it's a little retreat that provides the best in quintessential English hospitality.

The chain hotels could learn a lot from this boutique gem.

Room Tip: I was leaving on Sunday afternoon, and when all the other guests had checked out I was given a tour...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

stayed again for the 5 time and once again we were made very comfortable by Barry & Sven,the food is excellent the rooms very clean and tidy & the beds are very comfy cannot understand what Mike f309 is complaining about it could not have been the same Colindale that we stayed in cos barry and Sven could not have been more accomodating

Room Tip: if you want a good hotel to stay in book direct with Barry Greenwood the owner do not use Laterooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

stayed here about a month ago,the place is gorgeous and the breakfast is fab,the place is very welcoming and very near to the sea front,its quite quirky and has a gorgeous breakfast room,there was even a teddy on the bed it was like a home from home !!!oh and the beds were really comfy...would go again,thank u

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Booked over 2 weeks in advance with laterooms, who send email and fax. Turned up on the day to be told by the owner he had double booked dispite the 'vacancies' sign. Obviously didn't want to honour the one night we had booked. Absolutely no help.

Stayed August 2012
Hoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in september 2010. Barry & Sven make you feel very welcome. Lovely rooms and good food. Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed September 2011
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is a perfectly acceptable B&B, with good attention to detail and excellent breakfasts.

Practicalities – three car parking spaces at the front, and further on street parking in the road the hotel is in. Three or four minutes level walk from Torquay Station, with the sea front a minute or so further on. Then you can walk along the sea front into central Torquay which takes another 10 minutes or so.

The B&B is in a terrace of substantial properties with a couple of other B&B’s in it. Quiet location with a sports field opposite. My room was quite small, but it was a single room so no complaints. Ensuite shower and toilet and there’s a communal bathroom as well. Fresh towels each day. Good attention to the little things in the room – extension leads where needed, jar of nice sweets, good supply of tea and coffee etc. Bed very soft. Breakfast was excellent. I had the corned beef/bacon mix on the second day and it was first class; one of the best breakfasts I’ve had. Regretted not having the kippers before I left.

Only issue I had was over payment. I had booked through booking.com. When I went down to pay on the last day I was told that they had used the credit card I used to reserve the booking to take payment; which they had done just after I arrived. Not encountered this before, and I’d been planning to pay in cash. Not a major problem for me but one to be aware of (they don’t tell you on arrival that’s the plan).

Tip – I bought a Devon Day Ranger ticket at the station which costs £10. That took me up to Barnstaple, then down to Exeter and Exmouth before returning. Absolute bargain.

Would I return ? Possibly – but there are plenty of B&B’s in Torquay and if you don’t need to be by the station try shopping around.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was treated like royalty. The room and facilities were second to none. the attention from Barry and Sven, just delightful. It's home from home and the atmosphere so welcoming, I will recommend to all my friends and family and I have the utmost confidence that anyone who visits the Colindale will go back again and again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Colindale Guest House? Share your experiences!