“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Penn, Buckinghamshire
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I had an superb evening here. The food was totally delicious, you would be hard pushed to find better anywhere, we could not fault one single thing, this is equivalent to Michelin starred dining but without the hefty prices. The restaurant is small, intimate and has such a lovely warm atmosphere. The waitresses were very friendly and you could not fault the attentive service. My only complaint is that we did not meet the infamous Werner as he was away! We will definitely be back when we visit Torquay again, thank you.

• Visited November 2013

Warrington, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went for a family meal. There were five of us and well all had a different starter, main and desert. Everything we were given was delicious. I would recommend it to couples and small family groups.

It was a really good price, I would recommend you book early as we were lucky to get a table two weeks in advance.

London
“Nice meal but the struddle was with a pie pastry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The meal was good and so was the service, when i wanted the duck breast waldorf salad the chef made it specifically without apple as i have an allergy to them. The place was pretty empty though at the start and lacked a little atmosphere but picked up later on.

All of the food was good with our only disappointment being the Apfelstrudel that my wife had. I know this was his mothers own recipe so I can't say it wasn't correct but the pastry was pie pastry not a filo pastry (as we are used to seeing with Apfelstrudel) and was very thick, and not completely cooked through, in the middle. Still an enjoyable evening and worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Werner R, Owner at Old Vienna Restaurant, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Well - thats embarassing- strudel not cooked through .Unfortunatly I had to go home to Austria - my 85 year old mother with had a knee operation and I had to go over to see her -which was nice as I was also running short on schapps .My stand in chef has worked with me of and on for over six years and I have full convidence in him. My oven door hinge was broken and the door had to bee supported with an ironing board trying to keep it shut.,.New hinge on its way - should arrive tomorow I am not making excuses- the pastry should have been cooked properly - however if you look at Austrian strudel Recepte you will find it amongs pulled pastry we also use short crust and not a lot of sugar in it as the sweetness should come from the filling as well .It is of course as always a matter of personal taste
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very nice but not truely Austrian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Really enjoyed the food in the Old Vienna, staff was nice and helpful too. However, many of the dishes were certainly more for the English market and not true to the Austrian heritage you might expect. And you are reduced to the choice of one dish only if you are vegetarian...

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you as always for your comments- on my logo it says Restaurant with the Austrian Touch.Yes my Menu is modified and as i have been living here for quite some time.I have put on Grammel Knodel, Szegediner Gulash and Tiroler Grostle along with quite a few other dishen on the menu which did not sell a lot exept for special Austrian Evenings
On your visit I was actually in Austria to visit my mother- she had an operation . I had a friend standing in for me who has worked with me for a good number of years.
I am back now and with me are a few specials whilst I was away my baking oven hinge broke and as usuall things go slightly wrong as soon as i am away.
As far as vegetarian dishes are concerned there is only the Kohlrabi Schnitzel on the menu as such but I also have wild mushroom risotto and I make Kasespaezle und Kartoffelpuffer, basicalyy I do talk to my guests an produce other meals for vegetarinas from stock Items.Idont just produce a plate of veg in tempura batter .
I am going to visit my daughter in bristol next week for her birthday and I always get some hints from her - she is vegan so we do have some interresting conversations.
Of to a local shoot tomorow to pick up two deer and some pheasants.Venison ragout with Semmelknodel and cranberries in 1/2 a poached pear will be on as special as well as Venison Goulash with Spatzle as well as soon as my oven is fixed Linzertorte and Sachertorte will be some of my Austrian delight .I a sorry I was not here myself as I gather you are Austrian and it would have been nice to have a glass or two of Schnapps together
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“beautiful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went to old Vienna after reading about it on Trip Advisor, we had a beautiful meal the food was lovely,the wine flowed and the host was charming.

We will definately visit again the next time we have a break in Torquay.

It was good to chat to the owner chef and the free schnapps made the night even more special.

Would recommend a visit