“The Palace in the English Riviera” 5 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Babbacombe Road, Torquay TQ1 3TG, England   |
Ranked #61 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Windlesham
“The Palace in the English Riviera”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We decided to get away for a quick weekend break and although the weather was mixed, we had a wonderful time at the Palace Hotel.Previous reviewers must have been incredibly picky to fault this oasis of measured calm, with its wonderful facilities, walks & views. We were treated with such courtesy and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food was great & breakfast really sets you up for the day!! My advice is try this imposing establishment and relive how the British spent their holidays in style before the Costas came along.

• Liked — Wonderful architecture, sculpted gardens & views.
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Have just stayed at The Palace Hotel with my wife for four nights. Our overall view of the hotel was one of extreme disappointment. Our room was to say the least tatty and in serious need of refurbishment. Paint was flaking off the cornicing and the bathroom looked as if it had not been refitted/redecorated since the 1960's. Generally the hotel looked dated. The staff in the dining room were excellent- the only good thing about the hotel. We had stayed here four or five years ago and had enjoyed our stay. This time we were pleased to leave.

• Liked — The hotel facilities (golf, tennis courts etc) were above average
  • Disliked — Redfurbishment desparately required
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

I travelled with a group which was booked in to the Palace after being let down by another venue. Having read some of the previous reviews I had some misgivings but I have been most pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and comfortable with a lovely view over the gardens. Good hot water supply and comfortable beds.Friendly staff, good food and excellent service.
We couldn't ask for more. Thankyou. I'll come again but hope for better weather.

• Liked — the spacious rooms and excellent grounds
  • Disliked — the shower fitment
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

What a let down, expecting a nice hotel break in a four star hotel. The first room we were given was the size of a broom cupboard, very dark, very old fashioned, but more importantly, filthy dirty. The nets looked like they have never ever been washed since they were hung (1970's). The paint was seriously flaking off the windows. There were stains all over the carpet and wallpaper. Paint chipping off everywhere. A chair with two big rips and foam hanging out. The bathroom was so small; you had to get in first, manoeuvre around before you could shut the door. The bath was so small; my Husband would not have been able to get into it. My husband complained and we were immediately given another room. This was bigger and brighter, but I am afraid it was even dirtier than the first. The wardrobe was filthy. The bathroom had broken tiles, carpet up the side of the bath, which was hanging off, the light had loads of dead flies in it, and the window had all the paint flaking off and was disgusting. The shower did not have any hot water. We stayed for one night, but I could not sleep, with the thought of how dirty everything was. We did not want to get any of our belongings out of the case. This, I have no doubt was once a grand hotel. It is no longer grand. It requires a full face lift to be dragged out of the 70's. That you may be able to put up with, but not squalor. I feel that with the ease that the Management changed our room, they are very used to guests complaining on arrival and having to find them alternative rooms. It must be an every day occurrence. Breakfast was not too bad; the full English was sub standard and not cooked correctly. However, the waiting staff were very efficient. I wish this could be their saving grace, but I am afraid that it is not enough. I would not recommend this hotel, nor would I visit again. Faulty towers may not be that bad after all.

• Liked — Checking out in the morning
  • Disliked — Filthy squalor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

OK, this is the third time we have been to the Palace, so I may be a little biased, but reading some of the previous reviews I wondered if standards had indeed fallen.
The service in the restaurant was a little speedy at times, but when I asked for waiting time after one meal before choosing a dessert from the amazing selection on the trolley, it wasn't a problem. The staff have changed a lot in the past 18 months since our last visit; some were Eastern European, but were very polite and charming when engaged in conversation.
The hotel could do with a spruce up in places, but the overall impression is one of calm and efficient grandeur. For a hotel still in private ownership the standards are still very high. The evening meals are excellent and the kippers at breakfast were the best I have tasted for years. One of my main moans about hotels is the mark-up on wines and the Palace is no different. I don't think there was a single bottle of wine under £19. But for value for money, I still think the half board price is excellent.
The standard rooms aren't as spacious as in some hotels, but they are large enough.
No Sky TV as already mentioned and the wifi, although free, was incredibly slow.
BUT........... when we got home, we realised that we had left a couple of phone chargers behind. Before we had chance to phone the hotel, they phoned us the following morning to say they had them and would post them on. That is typical of the level of service we have found time and again at this hotel.

• Liked — old-fashioned service, good food
  • Disliked — slow/no wifi
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

Just returned from a wonderful 2 night break at the Palace Hotel. I chose the Palace Hotel because I was looking for a hotel that would suit the taste of my mother-in-law. I was looking for a hotel with character, elegance and good leisure facilities. This certainly fits the bill. It is a fantastic hotel, rather grand. Ok the rooms maybe faded at the edges but they are very comfortable and have everything you need. Do get a room with a garden view because the grounds are lovely and really are the highlight. Fabulous indoor and outdoor pool, great sauna. Can not fault the facilities. Meals were excellent and the staff were very friendly. The hotel has an elegance to it and would suit anyone looking for a peaceful get away. Not a place for those looking for a party atmosphere. Rather nice to be so close to Ansteys Cove just a short walk through the grounds of the hotel.

• Liked — Hotel Grounds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

The Palace Hotel has wonderful facilities no doubt. The par 3 golf course, tennis courts, walks and sumtuous main rooms are lovely. That is where it ends. The standard rooms are anything but standard. If you want remote control TV, forget it. If you want SKY TV, forget it. If you want a shower that does not flood the bathroom if you leave it on the wall, forget it. If you want a room that is warm when it is cold outside, forget it. Don't expect duvets, expect 70s tea and coffee fitted wall units, old wardrobes and windows that rattle with the breeze. At breakfast, ensure you are down before 10am, weekends included, or the staff will start to pack away the buffet part of the breakfast at around 9.50am. They want to go home. Don't complain to the receptionist, she will just nod and smile inanely. If you want to pay over the odds for a room that makes Premier Lodge look smart, book in here. Poor show Palace Hotel - last visit from me or my company.

Stayed April 2008

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!