“poor quality and value meal” 2 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sea Front, Torquay TQ2 6NT, England   |
Ranked #58 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“poor quality and value meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but had one evening meal in the dining room. This was, in my opinion, poor quality and grossly over-priced. Moreover I found the attitude of the staff condescending and I would not recommend the restaurant to anyone else. Gwynneth

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Paignton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had a super evening watching the 200th anniversary firework Display, disappointed with the Gourmet B B Q not very gourmet, a bowl of coleslaw and a dish of mixed salad, thought there might have been some hot dogs, as well as burgers also raw onions maybe some cheese to top the burgers just totally lacked imagination would not have cost much more to have put sauces and salt and pepper on the table instead of in plastic squeezy bottles ,
the dessert was superb

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed watching the fire works on bank holiday Monday from our terrace. I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy our gourmet barbeque. I have listed our menu below which I feel is a gourmet menu. However we always listen to our customer feedback and we will be looking at adding sausages next time we do a barbeque.
The menu was as follows, chilli, lime and coriander chicken, beef burger with caramelised red onions with thyme, tiger prawn skewers with teriyaki dressing, apple and raisin coleslaw, English garden salad with soft herbs, garlic infused marinated new potatoes, buttered baps and rolls. Iced summer berry parfait, chantilly cream, strawberry sauce.
Salt and pepper was available on the evening. I am not sure what bottles for sauce you had on the evening as we don't own any and always serve our sauces in ramekins. I hope to welcome you back for our future events and must apologize for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Deputy General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand for 2 nights. We payed £99 per room per night including breakfasts or a compact room, the description of the room was accurate as it was compact and had a view of the station and the kitchen, both if which provided early morning wake up calls in the form of station announcements and very clumsy kitchen staff dropping what must have been the largest stainless steel trays known to man. The room was typical seaside, as in a bit tired but clean. In fairness we paid a £99 per night at peak season, breakfast was great very good quality buffet of hot or cold selections. There was a good indoor and outdoor pool which we used both. The outdoor pool area was good with a bar etc. location was a 10-15 minute walk from the harbour but overall the hotel offered good value for money at peak season.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was sorry to hear you had an early morning wake up call from the train station and the kitchen team. Unfortunately the train station is beyond our control but the latter I have made the team aware in the kitchen to a bit more careful in the future. I hope to welcome you back to the Grand in the future where you will hopefully see some changes over the next 12 months.

Deputy General Manager.
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Visited the Grand today to have a luxury day at the beauty spa. I cannot express my degree of disappointment sufficiently. The hotel is clearly under-staffed as the bar was closed and had to be manned by the swimming pool life guard. The restaurant runs at a snails pace 3/4 of an hour to get the first course on the table. The place is a shabby , tired old hotel that is well overdue for a makeover and staffed by personnel that should seek employment elsewhere as hospitality does not feature very high on their agenda. The indoor pool is more suitable for children as it was filled in to reduce the depth so that under health and safety a life guard was not required and would save on the employment costs. The showers were dirty , the lockers were the same - just long term neglect was visible everywhere. One of the Spa staff was so rude it spoilt the day because the restaurant took so long to serve food it put her schedule out - apparently a situation that happens frequently. For a days visit I was appalled at the general state of apathy, staff confusion and overall shabbiness of the hotels fabric and very disappointed that it cost me £200 to find that a 4 star hotel could be in such a state. These are only a small sample of what to expect at The Grand - Torquay can offer far better than this - and at half the cost!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere for your accommodation
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with your spa day this is not the kind of service we like to offer our guests hear at the Grand. Waiting 3/4 of hour for your lunch is not acceptable, especially when we are already aware you are hear. I must point out the pool bar by the outside pool may well of been closed temporarily, but our main compass bar was open all day to cater for our guests needs. We are looking at refurbishing our swimming pool and spa area in the future and you will hopefully see a big difference.

I wish the reviewer had asked for me on her spa day as I would have liked to have spoken to them. I hope you will come back and visit us soon as we are able to provide excellent service with a smile. As this time we did not achieve our usually high standards.

Deputy General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel over the bank holiday purely because we decided last minute that we wanted to go away and this was the only hotel with vacancies left. We arrived and firstly couldn’t find anywhere to park. The car park has a grand total of about 15 parking spaces and good luck finding a space on the road! The entrance to the hotel was reasonably nice but that was about the only thing that was... Our room was potentially the furthest one away from the entrance down long lopsided and dated corridors and our room looked like something from the 70’s. The bathroom had the craziest tiles, enough to give anyone a headache looking at them and don’t even get me started on the shower. It was just a trickle, good luck to any ladies wanting to wash long hair and go out on the same evening. There were also some disgusting brown marks around the toilet roll holder, does anyone want to guess what that was?! Fair enough the bed was comfy, there was a kettle with tea, coffee, milk and sugar and there were toiletries in the bathroom. Breakfast is served until 10am. It comprises of a buffet style “hot” (more like luke warm) food selection along with cereals, very limited amounts of pastries, toast, yogurt and fruit. You also get a choice of tea or coffee and fruit juices. The hotel itself is quite a distance from the main part of Torquay. It’s good if you have family and want to be away from the noise that a more centrally placed hotel would have. It is by a train station though so you can hear trains passing by. This hotel wasn’t terrible but it definitely needs a lot of work doing to it to become a little more modern. It wasn’t worth the £270 we paid for 2 nights either and I definitely wouldn’t stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write you review. We do have more than 15 spaces for car parking for our guests at the Grand. We have numerous red bays in the train station car park, further parking on the road and we have negotiated a deal with the sports club car park across the road. This is in addition to our 15 spaces in our covered car park.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy other aspects of your stay and have instructed our housekeepers to look into paying extra attention to the smaller details of their cleaning routine in the future. All our showers are in full working order, on occasions like any hotel we do have maintenance issues and if you report them to reception we would endeavour to fix them as quick as possible.
It is a shame you have decided not to return at this point, however I hope in the future you will give us another chance to show you the majority of time we get it correct and our guest leave happy.

Deputy General Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Pitched up early hours in the morning, early June. Parked on the road right outside, no mither. Had to ring the night bell, arrival processed by one of the night porters, but you can't expect a genuine receptionist at that time of night, can you ? Walked over to the empty bar for a well deserved bottle of lager. Place deserted. Well, it were three in the morning, you can't expect the place to be buzzing at that time of night, can you ? Wandered over to the balconee offav the bar to have a long lingering look at the Italianate curvature of the town of Torquay and the harbour in the middle distance. Beautiful. Said as much to another of the night porters who was having a sly fag on the balconeee. He just grunted by way of response, prompting an awkwardness as the two of us stood there silently, smoking and watching, in the early hours of that unforgettable Saturday morning in early June. Bet he thought I was coming on to him, because I'd arrived alone. But, I wasn't. But, that's why I think he weren't for striking up a conversation. And, if he's reading this now, let me just say 'Mate, I weren't trying owt on, I were just saying how beautiful the scene across the bay were'. Anyway, they gave me a crummy room for the first night, with a rubbish view, but, when the Missus arrived the following day and started kicking off, we was upgraded to a proper mint massive room with a smashing view of the beautiful bay. Special mention to the guy what were doing painting by the poolside. Lolling in the pool, watching him painting. Absolute joy. Got those brushstrokes spot on. Total genius. Real pride in his work.

• Stayed May 2013
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have eaten here, partcularly for lunch on quite a few occasions over the last few years, but the lunch menu is now very limited and uninspiring. It doesn't feel like very good value. The young waiting staff are generally poor except for one more mature lady lady who smiled and wanted to be helpful.
It amazed me that there was no Sauvignon Blanc in stock, although they do offer 4 or 5 on their wine menu.
Overall the hotel needs an update, the area with the leather chairs and libaray feel is pleasant but the rest of the main areas and run down. The colour scheme is dated. This needs a review by someone with style, who can maintain the original features but give it a wow factor. The bar in the centre of the lounge could be lovely but it is worn out, in a bad way.
The views are lovely but the hotel could be capitalising on its position with some imagination and flair.
The rooms need a similar overhall, it feels very much past its best, which is a shame.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!