“Simply magical!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Falkland Road, Torquay TQ2 5JJ, England   |
Ranked #31 of 98 hotels in Torquay
“Simply magical!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

the carlton hotel,played host to our 3 day wedding bonanza,and can honestly say I wouldnt have had it anywhere else!

Everything was perfect. From the minute we arrived,nothing was to much trouble for the staff,from checking in to service in the Aztec bar! And I must say,food all weekend was superb.

As our guests pretty much took over the carlton hotel,over the weekend I did not hear a single complaint from anyone. The rooms were imaculate and spacious! Also would like to add,we had 2 disabled guests,incuding my mother,and all staff were only to glad to help when asked.

Bottom line to anyone reading this review,is not only the carlton,aswell as the location a great place to go,but for any couples looking at wedding venues,the carlton is simply magical!

A quick shout out and thankyou to both Lee and Jocelyn,u were amazing!!!

See you next year for the anniversary x

• Stayed July 2011
CarltonMgt, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments.

It was a pleasure organising your special day and we wish you both best wishes for the future.

We look forward to seeing you for the anniversary celebrations next year!

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Izon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our four children were "farmed out" so this was just the two of us for a week. Welcoming staff set the tone. Despite being an "oldish" fashioned hotel (s) it had all that was required to feel relaxed and comfortable. We did have to ask for a bed topper as the mattress was poor but this was provided rapidly which solved the problem.
The fire doors banged shut with the passage of people, so I fixed it myself when I bought some self-adhesive fely pads and our room was instantly quieter!
The pools were splendid and we had many great moments there.
The shows were spoiled by the room's disposition, notably the banister which was at eye level, and always a scramble to get a table... The high spot of the day was the really good dinners.. and the restaurant staff were so friendly without being too familiar... the right balance to keep a modicum of "a class feeling".
Food was excellent. Breakfast can also be classed as excellent. Lots to do and see in the area...

The dinning room does need decoration.. edges of wallpaper rubbed away and it needed someone with an eye for detail to freshen it all up without having to outlay a fortune. We live in France and this was a lovely week in Devon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that you had a good stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel is part of the Torbay Leisure Hotels, Carlton, Derwent, Victoria and Toorak. The Hotel has an excellent family atmosphere, wonderful indoor pool and spa and an outdoor pool. There is also amusements for children and indoor bowling for adults. We have stayed at the Toorak and Derwent and now the Carlton. However, we will not be back as the beds are just too uncomfortable - very, very hard and cheap. The showers are also very weak. All of this is a shame because otherwise the staff are very friendly and do try and make it a good holiday for families. Amy, the Receptionist was particularly good. Very professional, helpful and friendly. I have stayed in very many hotels both in the UK and Worldwide, many far higher star-rated than this but she is VERY GOOD. A real asset. Don't loose her TFL! Shame these hotels cannot sort out the comfort of their rooms/beds and showers which are essential elements to a good relaxing holiday. We did have the upgraded rooms - again not good enough and until I know otherwise we won't return here. If beds, and showers better I would have given it 5.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a sea view. Carlton probably best of the 4 hotels within TFL.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your feedback on trip advisor. I am pleased to read you enjoyed yourselves and had a great time.

I am sorry that you found the beds uncomfortable during your stay. We purchase mattresses from Moonraker beds. They are from their "hotel range" and offer firm support. They are manufactured to suit all types of people who will be sleeping in them who all have different requirements. We do provide toppers for the beds, which make them better for guests wanting a soft mattress. I have also passed your feedback onto our Property Manager who buys our beds for future reference.

I hope you will return to us again in the future.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The staff where very friendly very comftable rooms and very clean the food was ecxellent

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
CarltonMgt, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your stay.

I am glad you had an amazing time, it doesn’t get much better that that!

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Carlton hotel again soon.
Lytham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We really enjoyed our time at the Carlton this year.
We thought the room, facilities, service, food and friendliness of the staff was first class and have re-booked for next year.

Room Tip: We've stayed in the Derwent before but much preferred our room in the Carlton because it was muc...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving your feedback on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and have already re booked for next year!

We look forward to seeing you again next summer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the Carlton hotel with my 3 year old boy and 5 year old daughter who loved the resort. Rooms were lovely and spacious for us all we had plenty of room for of the four of us!! Food was superb, kids are fussy eaters and found something to cater for them aswell as us. They also made use of the Toby club facility which they loved. The entertainment team are fantastic, their own show was fab!! Regarding the below comment and believe we were playing bingo on this night and found it very hard to hear with the little boy running around constantly on the dancefloor and believe Danielle asked the child nicely to sit with an adult as it is very distracting for us trying to play. We loved the bingo and won on two occasions!! We loved the soft play area and games room kept us all amused on the one day it rained. The hotel is fabulous location really close to town and the beach! Had a great time and will be returning next year!! Thanks to all the staff who are all brilliant! Photos to follow ....

• Stayed August 2011
CarltonMgt, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay.

I am so glad you had a brilliant time with us and enjoyed everything!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
stoke on trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We got back from our stay at the carlton hotel yesterday and are definately going to book up again for next year.

The staff in the Carlton hotel have given us excellent service duriing our stay. The hotel restaurant manager, not sure of his name, but he was a young guy, was excellent. He welcomed everyone and chatted to all of the guests with a genuine interest, and this included the children. The bar manager was also very friendly and helpful and gave us advice on where to visit locally during our stay and how to get there too. The receptionists were also very helpful and polite.

The food in the hotel was nice, with a nice selection for adults. Although, the childrens buffet was nice, i think they maybe should have had more of choice.

The pool area was fabulous, my daughter loved the inside pool and the sun loungers round the side were also a nice touch. The Aztec bar and bistro also looked fabulous, and although we didnt eat there, the food we saw always looked excellent.

The night time entertainment was also very good, with a wide selection of entertainment in different venues for different age ranges. The best entertainment in my opinion, was KB sounds. We sat outside when he did his family night and had a really good time and we also sat with him in the riveria lounge where he was doing different styles of dancing. he was an excellent entertainer and a really nice guy!

One major crticism i do have though is of a member of the entertainment team name Danielle. She was calling the bingo one night, which i was playing. My husband and my two children, who are 5 and 2, were sat with me. At one point during the bingo, by son, who is 2, was running on the dancefloor. He was not making a sound, not shouting, talking etc, so the bingo numbers could still clearly be heard. Danielle spoke down the microphone, so everyone could hear, drawing the attention of everyone onto us, and told the grown ups of the child, to take control of him and stop him from running. My child is two, and does not understand the need for him to sit down, so my husband had to take him out of the room. By this point my child was very distressed, as he did not understand why he had been removed from the room, and he stood at the door to the starlight lounge screaming for his mummy. Because of this i was not able to carry on with the bingo and when i requested a refund i was refused. I was not happy that my son, who was previously happy, had been reduced to tears, when he was supposed to be on holiday in a family friendly hotel, in the same room where he had just been allowed to watch the children entertainment! I was also very upset at the entertainer talking down the microphone to us, which i thought was very embarrassing. If she had an issue with my son i think it should have been dealt with more discreetly. I tried to speak to her after, to explain how difflcult it is to get a 2 year old to sit down, and she would not speak to me. I made a formal complaint to the receptionist at the derwent hotel, giving my name and room number etc, but never heard anything back from the complaint.

I also think the housekeeping was quite poor, as glasses we had from room service seemed to collect in our room, and the floor wasnt hoovered during our stay, which may have been benefical as my children and dropped a few crisps on the floor.

The bar staff also served my husband lager in a bitter glass, which ultimately went flat very quickly. When he asked for a glass with a agitator he was told there was none available as they were in short suppy.

In summary, its a good hotel, with excellent, caring staff, but a few small details, that can be easily rectified, did let it down slightly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your stay.

I am pleased to read you had a great stay with us and have noted your couple of points. August is an exceptionally busy time for us and I understand that despite the team working hard the occasional small attention to detail or oversight happens, for example the wrong glass being used or the carpet being missed, I apologise for this and assure you I will pass these comments on.

I have spoken to our Entertainments Manager regarding the incident during bingo and passed on your feedback, Danielle has been with us for a number of years and regularly calls bingo. I am sure you can appreciate managing a room of 500 people so everyone can hear numbers being called is not an easy task when you have a large mix of people in the room. Danielle also looks after our children’s clubs and families on site and as a long standing and well liked member of the team would not intentionally upset any of our guests. I am sorry for this incident happening, if you would like to discuss it further do not hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!