“Should not be allowed to trade” 1 of 5 stars

Cavendish Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgrave Road, Torquay TQ2 5HN, England   |
Ranked #75 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Should not be allowed to trade”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I am writing tho review from within this "hotel" and I am horrified at the disgrace, filth and danger within, the light socket in my room is loos on the wall, the Yale lock on the room door is not safe and secure, the double lock latch has been removed and a good push against the door opened it, the wallpaper is falling off, there is mould over the windows, the ceiling is cracked, the shower head does not fit in the holder, its wedged in against the wall, the toilet Cistern cover is undersized so does not cover the rear of the cistern, the kitchen ventilation system is right outside bedroom windows and wakes up guest in the early hours, the pictures provided by management for the review are unlike the true picture of cavendish hotel, I have submitted a complaint to health and safety as well as Torbay council, do not stay in this hotel, not even if they offer you money to do so, in particular from my own experience, do not accept to be given room 127

• Stayed May 2013
Richard_Cavendish, General Manager at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Sometimes we get a bad review and we think 'ok, fair enough'. We don't always get things right and we're only a two-star hotel, so we're not going to get five-star reviews all the time. As long as people are fair in their comments we are quite happy to accept constructive criticism and feedback.

This review, however, is utterly, utterly disgraceful and I dispute every word of it.

I've been to the room and it is secure. Two of us have leaned on the door as hard as we could (my colleague is 18 stone) and the door did not give. None of the light fittings are loose. The decor inside is a bit tired but perfectly acceptable. The toilet cistern is part of a set. The shower head is snug in the holder. The kitchen fans do not go on until 7.30am, hardly 'the early hours'. I look forward to any future visit from Torbay Council and when they come back to us to say that nothing is wrong with the room I will be back in touch with Trip Advisor to get this libellous review removed.

The reviewer has also contacted us directly claiming he is a journalist and will be writing an article specifically to convince people not to stay with us. I will let you draw your own conclusions from this. Hoteliers beware.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Well just read the review below and i felt compelled to write my own.we were booked in over the bh weekend on arrival the room id booked had been double booked (see below review) we were given another room which was clean with a balcony,the decor was ok,the staff helpful,the food was good portion size fine the hotel is two star and yes its dated yes its in a timewarp but its warm its cheap the staff are friendly and helpful the carpark is safe,the room sizes for me and my family were fine lots of space and the outdoor/indoor play areas are good for kids,this hotel is very child friendly,i will be returning to this hotel as its a nice welcoming place to stay...£75 for a family room with dbb (includes kids meal) is a bargin just dont expect the grand...

• Stayed May 2013
Andy R, Owner at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will visit again. Kind Regards
Tamworth Staffs UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booking was great via web site, handle our party of 16 motor bikers with ease, Parked the bikes safe. The indoor pool was red hot, and clean. The breakfast even though on the small size for £5 you can double up for £2 more. Clean rooms, new beds and quilts. Ok its a bit dated but, it was clean, warm with excellent service at the bar and during breakfast. Entertainment was brill, was our own. Lovely, we plan to book again next year.

Room Tip: Try the sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Andy R, Owner at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. All the family and staff work hard and it is nice to hear to were happy. We will continue with upgrading and refurbishment.
Eastleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A last minute treat for the family I'll never hear the end of! Even our small daughter of seven thought it was a dump, pleading that we should stay somewhere nice! The Hotel looks great in the pictures but they really don't give a true picture. I should have looked at 'Tripadvisor' before booking. My biggest puzzle with other reviews is to the point of reference used when assessing this hotel as excellent. Clearly these people have stayed at some terrible hotels. My other theory is that the reviews are written by members of staff. I use hotels on a regular basis with my work (often several times a month). I have become used to a reasonable standard of presentation and value for money. Often they exceed my expectations for what are essentially traveller's accommodation and I will comment to my wife that she would have really enjoyed staying at them. Hotel Cavendish is a relic from a time when a hotel provided basic accommodation to be endured rather than enjoyed. OK possibly when you're working away but not as a holiday treat. I expect to enjoy the hotel as a part of the holiday rather than be eager to get away from the place. The good points, staff work hard to offset the grim reality of the ageing decor and overall scruffiness of the place. There is good parking and Torquay is a short walk. The state of the room was such that my wife who is not normally an early riser was so desperate to get out of the place that we had unusually early starts. Our short stay of two nights cost around £150 - for something that I'd have put a value of £35 a night on and certainly wouldn't care to repeat. Our room had a dreadful view over an old cracked concrete yard with cheap plastic garden furniture. The padlocked second door in the bathroom lead to a small kitchen which indicated we were probably in what was once staff quarters. the second door from this kitchen onto the yard had been damaged and crudely repaired with a piece of wood which only partially covered the aperture. I could easily imagine the disused kitchen being used as a breeding area for vermin with such easy access, it certainly looked beyond disgusting! There were bundles of cabling running along the surface of the walls in our room along with patches of black mould see photo. there was an odd smell which convinced my wife that dogs had been kept in the room or it could have been from the kitchen which was close by. There was layer on layer of paint over the heavily embossed wallpaper. This may be the worst room in the hotel as the booking.com site indicated there was only one room left - Judging by the reviews there are plenty more rooms as bad. we didn't risk food here! Hotel Cavendish is not quite the bottom of the rankings but close so worryingly there are worse out there in Torquay. the Cavendish needs a lot of money spending on it to bring it up to an acceptable standard and I suspect this isn't going to happen anytime soon so best avoided - There are only 22 hotels that are worse in Torquay and 77 that are better according to Tripadvisor. I won't make the same mistake twice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Andy R, Owner at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I think your review is unfair. The room was checked by myself and the Maintenance Team after seeing your review. Yes the exterior of the room was not up to standard I completely agree it should not have been left like that and the Maintenance team had neglected that area. However inside the room is lovely except for the area above the window in the adjoining room and the bathroom is immaculate with a brand new white suite and white tiles and it looks beautiful. There was no smell whatsoever. The photographs do make the areas look worse than they are.
If the rooms had been as bad as you say you would not have stayed - no-one would or at least you would have complained to Reception and asked for an alternative. In fact we had a family look at the room on the day you left, before we knew about your review and they booked a holiday in that room.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

this place needs a visit from health and saftey- just had 4 nights there - its awful- the only good thing was the staff- the hot water in bathroom was as hot as boiling water- toilet kept backing up- power went off in half the hotel- one of our friends showers fell to pieces while they were in it . could not shut window - carpets torn , damp , peeling wall paper - i could go on and on - keep away- i know alot about health and saftey and this place is a danger and a health hazard

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Andy R, Owner at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
We cannot accept all your comments the hotel is clean, comfortable, and under constant redecoration as rooms are vacant. The Health and Safety of our Guests is obviously a priority, surely you would have reported any problems, during your stay, if you were concerned. If you had any problem with your room why didn't you ask for an alternative, with 96 rooms of varying styles (all to 2* standard or better) there should have been something to suit you. SW Power are the cause of the power cut, not us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from iow tors trip hotel average a bit tired and dated staff excellent except head waiter who was rude to guests had a good time food good rooms clean batman/ dep manager excellent made welcome

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend to see a show locally.

Very good value. Nice bedroom, good facilities all around the hotel. Very helpful, attentive staff (one of the waiters noticed, without me asking, that I preferred a vegetarian breakfast which he organised ), meals varied and good quality and the hotel is easily accessible to local shops, public transport and a short walk away from the seafront. Newspapers available daily from reception.

Generally very pleased with the hotel. We're already making plans for future visits to the Cavendish whenever there's a concert on at the Princess Theatre.

Thank you to everyone at the Cavendish. We will return very soon.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!