“An excellent break, and value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Lawn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Abbey Lawn Hotel
You added Abbey Lawn Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Scarborough Road, Torquay TQ2 5UQ, England   |
Ranked #65 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Blackpool
“An excellent break, and value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We have been prompted to write this review after reading some of other peoples comments about this hotel, surely they cannot be talking about the same place. We stayed at the Abbey Lawn hotel Torquay, with Robinsons Coach holidays, and found the hotel clean, the food exscellent and the staff and management eager to please. We had stayed there two years earlier and were quite happy to return there, but were surprised to find that the standards at the hotel had even improved since out last visit. The bedrooms were imaculately clean, even if some of the furniture was a little dated. We would have preferred the oportunity to have a slightly later breakfast than 8.30 a.m. but on a coach holiday this has to be expected,

• Stayed February 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My elderly mother booked a coach trip to this Hotel with Robinsons.
I checked on trip advisor and found some of the reviews very uncomplimentary.
I was most worried about the review which berated the managements treatment of elderly guests.
My mother is in a wheel chair and I didn't want her to be upset or made to feel unwelcome.

Our experience of the hotel was far different from many of those uncomplimentary reports.
We received a warm welcome from the staff.
Our room was clean and decoarated tastefully, it was spacious and had a lovely view of the bay.
the food was well cooked and there was a good choice.....didn't seem to be frozen veggies as was noted by another reviewer, and theroast lamb was in good thick slices...definitely not commercially bought in cooked meat.

As for the comment about Barry, the Manager.......we found that his dry sense of humour was refreshing......he spent a lunchtime chatting with us and waspleasant and helpful....as were all of the staff that we encountered

The situation of the hotel was not ideal for wheelchair users, but we managed on public transport.
We had a lovely break which was worth every penny.....even the weather wasn't too bad.
What more can you ask for in February?

• Stayed February 2010
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

This hotel makes Fawlty Towers look like the Ritz. We live locally and when my mum came to visit (29th Nov - 6th Dec 09) she had the misfortune to stay at the Abbey Lawn Hotel.

Having already been given permission (as non-residents) to have a drink in the hotel bar with my mother. On one such occasion Barry the Manager seemed to take an instant dislike to my husband and myself, he asked us if we were guests, before we could reply he became very loud and aggressive shouting 'You're Barred'. Embarrassed and unable to defend ourselves he marched us off the premises and physically pushed us out of the doors. All the while ranting and raving much to the distress of my elderly mother who needless to say will be choosing a different hotel next time.

When local shopkeepers refer to this hotel as Scabby Lawn then there is a problem. Fawlty Towers aside this hotel does nothing to help the already poor reputation that Torquay has gained.

• Stayed November 2009
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Booked a late deal away break and chose this hotel for its pool and location. We were not disappointed.
Allan the coach driver - very amusing and friendly. He had good advice for people and gave us enough one liners to keep us amused until next year.
Hotel management - friendly and helpful. They run a "tight ship" with energy and focus. I could not fault them and I feel the impression given on other reviews is unfair based on what I saw.
The restaurant staff - our waiter Kevin was a star..... amusing ...always cheerful. efficient and pleasant. he brought our friend extra Hovis digestive crackers with his cheese . 10/10
The food was a pleasant surprise. I found the variety and "crunchiness of the vegetables very pleasing. I had ham salad on 3 occasions for evening meal as it was fresh. crispy and had plenty of variety. i also had the waldorf salad....I mean at a hotel in Torquay one had to. My American husband also had his request for his egg sunny side up catered for and remembered ! The fruit crumble was yummy - well recommended.
Our room. Room 502 - a premier room..... as we first approached it from the "interesting" lift I was a little wary as it did feel like a basement floor...not too inviting but the room was smashing.... very large 2 high twin beds with good mattresses and bathroom and shower all ok.... the bonuses were the plasma large screen tv with good channel choice and.... french doors out to a "private" patio with chairs and little table with a view over the pool. This was a bonus (alas my hubby smokes so he was well pleased by this discovery)
The evening entertainment was not really to our taste but I have to say the evening with the magician was excellent and proved this cynic wrong.
We had arranged car hire (Thrifty - based at the station - a 10 to 15 min walk through the Abbey gardens - and they were very accomodating and helpful) so we took ourselves off for days out and only did the Totnes Dartmouth coach tour - which was fine as was the River Dart trip thought I felt the captain of that fine craft could have taken the ride a little slower to help us amateur photographers.
I agree with one reviewer that some flexibility re meal time attendance would have been good but we were a coach tour party and efforts had been made to socialise the group and we got on tremendously with the other couple on our table and it contributed well to the success of our stay.
For the cost of the holiday I felt this was good value and felt we were looked after and valued as customer. Robinson's staff seem to like their company and that is a good recommendation too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

we have just returned from a holiday with robinsions from the 12th september to the 19th september 2009and stayed at thius hotel the abbey lawn we enjoyed the holiday but we felt that the standard of the rooms at this hotel and by that i mean the furniture in the rooms was very out of date also we felt the food was not bad but i think they could have gave you more in terms of quannity also my husband was going down to dinner one night and he had shorts on whilst queing to go into the dining room the assistant mananger i am not sure of her name came up behind him and said you cant wear them and said it in front of other guests he felt very humliated by this it could have been handled better. i feel that you should be able to wear what you want when you go on holday the entertainment was good at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Abbey Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!