“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
long eaton, nottingham
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just had 6 wonderful days at this hotel, good food good entertainment and lovely sea view room,
weather a bit wet and windy but still plenty to do, bus stop very near for Exeter or Plymouth,
a special thank you to Robert restaurant manager who looked after us all week, and also Istvan in the bar, and Nigel on the keyboard who kept us dancing, hope to see you all again when we return

john and breda sault

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your holiday at the Torbay hotel, I am sorry about the weather but despite that I am glad that you enjoyed your break with us. I shall pass on your kind words of praise for Robert, Istvan and Nigel; they will be pleased that they helped make your stay a good one. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from us all

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just returned from three nights at the Torbay hotel. 16/12/13. We enjoyed every minute of it and hope to return very soon. Our room ( 230 ) was immaculately clean and had wonderful sea views ( pity about the weather though! ) and had tea making facilities with plenty of tea, coffe and milk provided. Flat screen television and telephone and a comfy chair to relax in and drink in the view out of the window. The shower was over the bath but worked wonderfully with plenty of very hot water. The beds were 100% comfy and linen crisp and clean. The service in the restuarant was speedy and the food first class. Although we didn't stay in at night for the in house entertainment we were told it was good. The lounges are tastefully decorated boasting a mini grand piano in one. This is by far the BEST hotel we have stayed in with Shearings. The staff are also so friendly and attentive. The location of the hotel could not be better, only a minutes walk to the centre of Torquay. Three nights wasn't a long enough stay so we WILL return back and will recommend the hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers have sea views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent weekend break at the Torbay. I am very glad that you had such a wonderful weekend with us and that you enjoyed everything we had to offer. It is also great to hear that you will be back and we look forward to seeing you again. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day pre Christmas break at the Torbay Hotel. It was our first stay in Torquay, the Hotel is lovely. We had a large, newly refurbished front facing room and thankfully a walk in shower. Because of disabillity I really struggle with a shower over a bath. A small table with 2 chairs where you can sit and have a cup of tea, watch TV or just take in the lovely view . Our driver Gordon was very knowledgeable and informative. The Hotel is very clean dispite ongoing referb. Food was of a good standard and plenty of choice. Our waiter was very attentive.
Entertainment was excellent on the whole except for the last night. A very pleasant stay indeed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you June G for your review of your break with us. I am glad that you enjoyed one of our new refurbished rooms as well as an all round enjoyable holiday. We try to upgrade as much as we can with minimal disruption and am happy that it did not cause you any problems. I shall pass your comments on to Gordon who will be pleased that he looked after you while you were here. have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.
Burgess Hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel location is everything, central Torquay, right on the sea front and many rooms (including ours) with superb sea views. The food was traditional, wholesome, and exactly what the fairly senior guests seemed to like. It is a Shearings/Bay Hotels operation so mainly filled with coach tourists. Herein lies the main problem, in that loading and unloading guests' luggage when there is only one small lift gives huge problems for many guests, especially those somewhat infirm. That single lift was slow and unavailable at times and simply inadequate for an hotel of this size.
Those who arrive by car, as we did, can book a paid-for parking space within reasonable distance although at a somewhat higher elevation. Using Debenhams' lift to get there saves climbing a flight of stairs or walking up hills. The pool was small but still more than you usually get at an old seafront hotel. Pity there was no heat in the changing room radiators.

Room Tip: One upgrade and a sea view room is well worth paying for.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Torbay hotel. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable holiday and that you found it all to your satisfaction. I wish you a Merry Xmas and a happy New Year.
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Travelling with Shearings on their East Anglian coach trip I arrived at the hotel along with 38 other guests. What a lovely coach and driver we had, Dale, I can't believe the coach may be pulled off Shearings books next year due to its age as it was spacious and immaculate, well done Dale.

On arrival albeit a little late at the hotel (the welcome was a little disappointing as the gentleman assigned to greet us had to speak to another coach which arrived minutes before us and then disappeared before coming aboard our coach to greet us after our long journey! We were swiftly given our keys but for some reason they lady didn't offer me mulled wine! I had looked forward to having a couple of sips before hoping to go for a swim, this was dashed as the youngsters moving the suitcases didn't deliver my cases and an hour later myself and another guest on the top floor were about to return 97 steps down to reception to see where they were and found them off loaded in the hall way near the stairs (fire risk!) this was soon cleared when I spoke the management. So I was unable to shower and tidy up for our first meal. like many other guests.

The three meals we had were much better than I expected - our table preferred the first meal the others were good value but the service was hurried and at times the staff lean over you to pass your neighbour food/clear plates, and removed plates when you had toast in your hand etc which is rude - some of the staff in the restaurant need training in basic skills and to be ahead of the promotion we were on i.e complimentary glass on wine with our Christmas dinner, this was resolved by my table guests before I arrived for our dinner, albeit the tone of the waiter spoilt their evening.

The evening entertainment was good fun and with a lovely lady on the first night along with a quiz, bingo and dancing she was so welcoming after our long day, the last evening was a race night after a quiz and bingo and celebrating the New Year with a charming young chap who was fun. Whereas the Saturday night the lady who was part of a duo was speaking to guests like she was a school teacher speaking to children, this offended most of the people around me, the guy with her had a lovely singing voice and should have more say in the evenings events.

The room I had was on the corner on the fourth floor, a lovely warming room with a brown/pink colour scheme. it had two windows with a harbour and front view. I had paid extra for this view along with the single supplement. The bed was extremely comfy and outside noise during the night was minimal except for some noise around sometime after 6am - think the bins being taken out and nice and warm with hairdryer and coffee/tea facilities!

Overall the décor of the hotel was impressive with new carpets and furniture throughout the restaurant, bar and dance room.

The drink prices were a little expensive and I appreciate Shearings need to make some money - but if there were better deals like the Baileys deal I'm sure they would sell more drinks as for the price of 3 doubles my friends around £12 wasn't that much of a deal considering the measures and how you'd have more than half a bottle left, not good value for mature visitors. Bring back the vouchers for 3-4 free drinks.

Could I while talking about drinks compliment the local guy who served the coffee one evening he's was charming and a treasure to meet and very helpful and polite the other waiting staff could learn loads from his charms and the night porter was pleasant and helpful.

The swimming pool is dated and get rid of the plastic plant like things hanging from the ceilings and try and fit in a spa would be an improvement and improve the hallway between the pool and the changing area as is horrible, a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss.

I would highly recommend this hotel and wonder where some of the guests have stayed at I'd give this hotel 85 out of 100, please extend meal times thus less rush for the meals, nicer bread rolls/fresh bread with the meals and train the waiting staff then I would offer score you 95%.

Thanks Charlotte

PS: It was a 50th birthday while at your hotel (Monday) over this weekend for me. I was surprised this was not picked up on the booking form as most hotels look out for specials dates, I travelled alone and a little hotel gift wouldn't have gone a miss!

Hope 2014 is a successful year for the hotel.

Room Tip: room 400 is lovely and comfy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Torbay and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us, you have mentioned a lot of positives and that it is always nice to hear. I will look into some of your other comments regarding the restaurant service. I am glad that you enjoyed your glass of wine at dinner, but am sorry your did not get your mulled wine, but we do keep it available throughout the early evening and we would have been only too glad to have given you a glass. Hopefully you can return for another festive break where you can enjoy it at your leisure
crewe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Myself and my partner have stayed in 6 Shearings hotels during the past 12 months and have each time requested a twin room and there has never been a problem, however the Assistant Reception Manager, I believe his name is Mr Gabor, thinks that a twin room can consist of a family room which has 1 double and 1 single bed which are placed at totally different angles so with the bathroom dividing them so that when each person is in bed you cannot see each other due to the locality of the bathroom. Also if each wishes to watch television in bed it is not possible as the tv can only be angled to suit one bed not both.
Before unpacking I went to reception to ask if we could be moved to a proper twin room which is what we requested but Mr Gabor insisted that he had no other rooms and the room we were given was in his opinion a twin room. Not according to the dictionary as I made a special point of looking this up when we arrived home and the description of a twin was an identical or similar people or things and my Readers Digest dictionary actually used a twin bed as an example, so there doesn`t appear to be any reason why we should not have expected a room that contained 2 single beds that were placed side by side.
There are a lot of positive things I could say about this hotel and also positive things regarding many of the staff we met there, however being forced to stay in the room we were allocated put such a major damper on the weekend that I cannot honestly say we enjoyed ourselves to the extent that I would be giving my usual good or excellent review of a Shearings hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your posting and firstly thank you for your positive comments in general regarding the hotel and the staff. We do not usually hear of any issues regarding having a family room as a twin bedded room, quite the reverse in fact, where many people enjoy having a larger bed. I do take on board your comments though.
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We would like to thank all the staff at the torbay hotel for their welcome and helpfulness in everything during our tinsel and turkey stay and a special thank you to our designated waiter Lazlo who could not do enough for us nothing was too much and he was very polite and attentive to our needs he always had a smile on his face We would like to thank all of the other staff who were helpful in all other areas.The hotel was clean and warm and the menu was excellent in choice we will certainly come again. Our only concern was the creaky floor but that was only cosmetic. Dot and Phil Bond

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at the Torbay and in particular Lazlo. I will be sure to pass on your praise to him. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!