“Could Have been Better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Could Have been Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The outside of the hotel ie the pavements and the steps needed a good clean the inside of the hotel most of it looked tired and needs renovation.
The water in the swiming pool was so cold we had to get out very poor.
Food was just about passable they did a good cooked breakfast but the porridge was uneatable i had to send it back. And when you complained to the waiter they answered back with comments such as no way!.
Its not good enough this was a shearing holiday i have travalled with them before but never been this dissapointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a great seaview.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am sorry if you felt that there were areas that let down your recent stay with us. Normally the food receives such wonderful praise, so I am disappointed that you did not enjoy it.We have discovered a heating pump fault with the pool that is being rectified, so hopefully if you return it will be its normal temperature and you can enjoy your swim.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely time here the hotel is in an excellent position next to the town centre but also straight across from the marina and beach the rooms were clean but need a little refurbishment, the meals were really good had a good choice three course evening meal and breakfast and the service was fantastic would definately stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you helen b, for your lovely review and I am really glad that you had such a great time at the Torbay. Its location, as has been posted before, cannot be beaten and I am also happy that the food and service were mentioned as being to its usual high standard. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

On arrival a member of the hotel staff came on board our coach to explain the hotel procedures etc.We were also informed that a coach had arrived 15 minutes before ours and so it would take about thirty minutes before the luggage would be taken up to our room.In reception we were quickly dealt with and recieved the key to our room on the fourth floor.Fine so far.Then we discovered that the only lift was being used to distribute the first coaches luggage and so to get to our room we had to climb four flights of stairs.We are both pensioners but reasonably fit so we
managed it with only one stop on the stairs
A nice room with a pleasant view at the side of the hotel(Room 403).We made ourselves a drink and waited for our case as we wanted a shower and a change of clothes as we had been travelling on shearings coaches for eight hours.After about 45 minutes I decided to see wre our cases were and went down to reception,once again on the stairs as i could not get the lift to come up to the fourth floor as it was still being used to deliver cases.As unfortunatley our case was at the back of the queue of cases(fourth floor last?)I was told that it would be at least another 15 minutes before we recived our cases at our room.Did not believe the estimated time after the last incorrect one so I said I would take my own case.Upon reaching the lift I was told I could not use it until they had finished delivering all the cases and so I had to use the stairs.One case,one pensioner and more than one stop on the stairs up.
Upon switching on the shower I had to wait more than five minutes to get any warm water from it ,this with the hot water tap turned on as well to help get warm water through to the room .This was a prolem to a lesser degree evey time we used the shower,as was the poor strength of the shower due to innadequate water pressure.The standard of the bathroom facilities in this room are poor by todays standards
For our first evening meal we had to queue at the dining room entrance for over 20 minutes to be shown to a table as there was only one person allocating tables to all the new guests.needs better organisation.Thankfully, then it improved.We found the food very good and our waiter Shaun gave us excellent service.The service from all the staff was good although the cleaner did not make the beds very well.
The hotel is in a fabulous position with the gardens and the marina just across the road and the main shopping area around the corner.We enjoyed our holiday in Torquay and the trips we had to Brixham and on the river Dart were special.WE will return to Torquay and possibly this hotel but not on the fourth floor

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I do admit when all of our guests arrive at the same time it can take a while to get two hundred pepole and their luggage to their rooms at the same time and in this event we do ask for some patience as we are all working as hard as we can to get them to you. the same can be said when everybody arrives at the restaurant at the same time, which is why we allocate one and a half hours for the restaurant to be open, so people can drift in, in a relaxed style and not all at once.. I am pleased though that once the opening night arrival dissipated you were looked after by the staff especaily Shaun, who will be pleased to know that his hard work was recognised by yourselves. I am also happy that you found so many other parts of your stay with us to be enjoyable, notably the trips and service form all our staff. The location of the hptel is excellent for Torquay and we do look forward to seeing you once again in the near future.If you contact me beforehand, we will see if we can put you on a lower floor when you arrive.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

what can i say we stayed for 7 days our room wasnt cleaned the quilt cover on our bed was dirty for 5 days the food was poor especially the evening meal our room and the downstaires rooms all needed renovating there was paper coming off the walls. one evening while having our evening meal the couple on the next table asked if we could shut the curtains as the sun was in their eye as we pulled the curtain over we were covered in dust god noes when they were last cleaned.
the only good thing was the staff we will never return to this hotel again

Room Tip: i would not choose any room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I am sorry if your recent holday was marred by the issues that you have raised. It is most uncommon of these types of complaints to occur, as you can see by the many satisfied customer reviews posted. I will certainly look at the issues mentioned and will attend to any that require attention. Hopefully you will return once again and can have an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your positive praise for our staff.
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hotel looks ok from outside, but it is very dull and dingy inside. The public areas would benefit from a deep clean and also redecoration. The public toilets are disgraceful, they were always dirty and quite often had no toilet roll.
The dining room was staffed by foreign staff whose basic lack of understanding of English meant that you never knew whether you were going to get what you'd ordered!
The walls in the dining room were covered in various drips of food and drinks, not very pleasant at all and from what I could see the carpet was never vacumned as the same piece of bread that was under our table on the day we arrived was still there on the morning of departure, it was like seeing an old friend every day!
It was almost impossible to get a drink from the bar as the waiting staff couldn't take your order and there was never a wine waiter apart from on our last evening, who asked if we wanted anything from the bar whilst we were eating dessert! I resorted to going to the bar myself and carrying the drinks into the dining room.
Service was so fast you really couldn't relax, as soon as you put your cutlery down, the waiter was there asking you what you wanted to eat for the next course. I think there must have been some sort of competition to see who get get all their tables out fastest!!
The food was so obviously the cheapest possible, it was of a very low standard and mostly completely tasteless, after 4 days we ate out in local restaurants. I don't like being called "Darling" I find it derogatory and all the staff in the dining room used this term.
I also particularly dislike sitting eating my meal whilst tables are being sprayed with cleaning fluid and set for breakfast around me, I dread to think what was in the cleaning fluid floating round the room, surely this is a Health and Safety issue? The tables are so close to each other that it was difficult sitting at the table on some occasions without asking our neighbours to move their chairs!
The swimming pool was down a very dark and dirty corridor and really not worth the journey!
The bedroom was clean and adequate.
On the plus side, the hotel is in a nice position opposite the marina and the staff on reception were helpful.
Would I make a return visit, never!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
I am sorry that you did not enjoy anything on your recent stay with us. I am very surprised about some of your comments, as our staff, especially our restaurant staff ,get very positive praise from many guests and despite many of them being non uk nationals they are extremely good at their job and their English is not usually called into question. Food is often complimented on but I am sorry if it was not to your liking.
I will look into a number of the issues that you have raised with our Restaurant manager, and rest assured any that are found will be rectified straight away. There are often two to three wine waiters each evening, so I am surprised that you could not find one! I am glad that the Reception staff were to your satisfaction and the location of the hotel a plus too. i am sorry that you will not be returning with us as I am sure that we could give you the holiday that so many of our other guests find so enjoyable.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very enjoyable weekend, rooms good, food very good,staff very helpful, attentive at mealtimes (even with extra sausage at breakfast...... luverly) been before will go again....being very picky could do with cabaret on a Sunday and very restricted with small lift but this was explained to us satisfactory........Very happy

Room Tip: rooms at back quiet (very warm above swimming pool area)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SimonWMurray, Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Hi johniesXI, thanks for your review of your weekend stay with us, it's great that you have been before and that you will be coming to the Torbay again. I am glad that we provide you with everything that you need for your stay, apart from the Sunday night cabaret, it does give you the chance to epxlore or have a relaxing quiet evening though. I look forward to seeing you when you visit again.
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went to the above hotel for 4 days in August 2012.
Quite good Hotel. Only problem is the lack of time to eat your meal. Seems to me that the staff are paid for a very restricted time. Evening meal for instance served between 18.30hrs & 20.00hrs. We went in one night at 19.50hrs waiter told us to come earlier in future. I pointed out the card in our room said 18.30hrs till 20.00 hrs & we were within that time,I tried to order a bottle of wine only to be told that the wine water finished at 19.30hrs. I spotted the wine waiter about 5 minutes later & did get my wine. I went to reception & reported the inciden but despite beingt told my waiter was wrong nothing changed.

Room Tip: Have an upgrade plus sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thnk you for your review and I am glad that you had a nice stay. i am sorry if you felt rushed at dinner and were unable to get wine, this is unusual and I will look into it to ensure this breakdown in service does not recur. We value the fact that you should have a relaxed dining experience and usually find that the hour and a half is sufficient time for the restaurant to be open.

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!