“5 days in the sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sefton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Sefton Hotel
You added Sefton Hotel to your Saves list
The Sea Front | Babbacombe Downs Road, Torquay TQ1 3LH, England   |
Ranked #77 of 94 Hotels in Torquay
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
“5 days in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

got what I requested, room with walk in shower and suitable for disabled person. Wallpaper dated and ripped in places and carpet stained but storage was OK . Kettle right against wall and steam ran up the wallpaper. Beds comfortable and view was excellent with easy access for disabled. Staff very pleasant.Food adequate but pity it wasn't home made, veg was mostly frozen.Waiters were helpful.Enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: lots of rooms for disabilities, choose either walk in shower or wet room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Dudley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I are disabled, I'm in a wheelchair and my husband walks but not to far. We stayed at the Sefton hotel in july at first we thought oh wow what a view. Our room was ok on first look but after we noticed the wallpaper was marked the beds had holes in. The wet room looked ok but when we used it the shower came away and it flooded so when we used the toilet our things were wet this was daily. We reported the problem and all we got was it is a wet room. The welcome was cold and unwelcoming and we had several problems which the bar man was kind enough to sort out.

The food was lovely couldn't fault it at all. The staff was mixed in the dinning room our waiter was very nice and helpful so was the other male but the lady was out of order with the one thing she did. They need a acting manager running the dinner room cause when new people arrived they didn't have a clue.

We were happest out of the hotel. The bar staff were really nice and helpful. The hotel was really cold.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I liked the hotel itself, the staff were very nice. But I do hate frozen food in a hotel.
Although there was plenty of choice at breakfast, and that was fine as obviously freshly cooked.

It was in in lovely spot overlooking the sea.

Room Tip: Ours was fine, top floor, sea view, No.44, but I cant say about any of the others.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend at the Sefton. Didn't expect too much on arrival as it was a very cheap deal. It's a 'Majestic' type hotel, mainly for groups/tours although we were private. Efficient book in (book in time 3pm) and we were delighted to have sea view rooms on the 3rd floor (lift only goes to 2nd floor). Basic ensuite facilities but clean and as I said wonderful views.
Dinner 3 course meal and tea/coffee was adequate. Bingo in the lounge followed by singer/comedian, pub priced drinks. Breakfast next day was tea/coffee, toast etc, fruit, cereal, choice of cooked and our waiter Mark was pleasant, helpful and brought us anything we asked for. What more do you want for £50 a night D, B and B for a couple. It was Babbacombe Festival weekend so plenty to do/see, spent some time at the Buccaneer Pub 100 yards away which we recommend. We had a great weekend for peanuts !

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

recently stayed for 5 days 4 nights at this hotel,5 star it is not,however,room was clean,lovely sea view and recently updated bathroom.Food was good and plentiful witheverything you could think off for breakfast including kippers!! evening meal was 3 courses waiter served,tables in restaurant were for 2,3 or more and table you were given was yours for duration of your holiday,there was evening entertainment most nights.All in all hotel was very good value and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for seaview,most rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Yet again on my travels,this time with GB TOURS, a wonderful 5day break.Overall a great hol for the money! Food/bed Tours all very good.A night out in the Babbacombe Theatre WOW!! SPELLBOUND by name SPELLBOUND by nature,a great night out.The Hotel entertainment also very good.Tours were superb,Sidmouth.Dawlish,Dartmouth,Salcombe.Allmade up a great midweek break.Well worth it! Off to Ireland in August with GB TOURS ,cant wait!

Room Tip: I had a Front/1st floor room overlooking the sea,couldnt be better! Quiet,Had the Gulls visiting in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Sefton Hotel last October, 2012. I think my terrible review, at that time, wasn't posted by Trip Advisor (to my surprise) perhaps because I didn't give a 'rating' (I didn't think it even warranted a "terrible", so didn't click on it at all) - here I'm trying again ... .

During my first (and only) night I was awakened by something crawling over my shoulder. I threw back the covers, and to my horror found myself covered in little insects (later to be confirmed as bed bugs - they look like tiny, black ladybirds, for future reference).

These bugs were all over me, and also inside my nightie! I rushed (after snatching-on a T shirt and jeans) downstairs to the night porter, and told him my bed was covered in bugs! He phoned the manager, who didn't appear. I later found out that the manager lives on the premises!!!! He obviously couldn't be bothered!

I spent the whole night, sitting in the bar, alone, and tramatised! At 7am, Sharon the duty manager (and daughter of the owner, I found out later) arrived, and I was escorted to the lovely 'Morningside' hotel, next door. By the time Sharon arrived, I was stuttering with stress, and absolutely desperate for a shower!

None of this is exageration of any kind, and can no doubt be checked with Torquay council, as the room was fumigated two days later, I was told.

I was left with bites all over my body, from my face to my ankles. I'm just so terribly relieved that I don't appear to have brought home the bed bugs in my clothes and luggage (another thing to be aware of) - but I did wash and scrub every item in my suitcase, and thoroughly vacuum my suitcase.

Just DO NOT GO HERE! The manager is ignorant and ineffectual! Goodness knows why the owner employs him! I did not even receive an apology - and I still have nightmares!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sefton Hotel? Share your experiences!