“Two Hours Well Spent” 4 of 5 stars

Midlands
62 attraction reviews
“Two Hours Well Spent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We visited on a rather damp morning so adjourned to the restaurant for coffee and a snack. There was plenty to choose from and if this had been later in the day we may well have chosen one of the hot meals on offer.

The structure of the Abbey is being repaired and cleaned so some parts were inaccessible but our overall impression was of a place of serenity and simple beauty.

The gardens were not at their best having suffered in the long winter weather but it was interesting to see the myriad varieties of lavender and the culinary and medicinal herb beds.

There are two shops, a standard gift shop and one that only sells products from monasteries and convents across Europe. The latter was particularly interesting and resulted in several purchases.

Aldridge, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Very pretty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a beautiful place in a lovely setting. Only visited due to bad weather and wanted somewhere indoors to be honest but we are so glad we went. They are restoring abbey at the moment but you can still see the architecture and beautiful stained glass around abbey. Cafe lovely and clean, staff polite and reasonably priced with good selection of hot and cold food. Nice gift shop with things for all. The monastic produce shop was a little pricey but again had some interesting things in there. The Buckfast Tonic wine worth buying especially if you like sherry.Quite sweet but very nice. Well worth a trip to here if you are in the area.

London
24 attraction reviews
“Not great in poor weather but -”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

- really liked the cafe (despite negative reviews). Staff were friendly, choice, value and quality were far better than at similar places (i.e. National Trust). Gift shop poor. Produce shop ok. Abbey itself is a little disappointing, grounds looked lovely but it was pouring! May return in better weather!

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
“Buckfast Abbey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Lovely setting and the abbey itself is v impressive. Nice grounds and cafe. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I been more religious.. The homemade fudge was extremely sweet so avoid if you don't have a very sweet tooth

7 attraction reviews
“Love the abbey and grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Lovely place to visit, beautiful building an grounds. Especially in spring/summer when the well attended gardens start to bloom! We visit regularly, including a couple of weekends ago.

My only concern is there is one elderly member of staff who works in the restaurant (clearing tables mostly) who seems to be quite rude and undermining other staff. When we last visited he clearly and loudly put this other female member of staff down in front of the busy customers in the restaurant. When we were due to leave I thought I'd help by taking our tray over to the lady clearing them and sorting the dishes from food waste, she was lovely and directed me where to place it and said thank you. The gentleman in question came over, tutted and said "she's slow today isn't she," to me and in front of the lady in question. I walked away: I was helping, NOT putting my tray over because it hadn't been collected yet. I don't think this is an appropriate way to address a colleague in front of customers.

I will visit again, because I love it there but I do hope not to have to witness staff being treated this way in he future. Maybe he was just having a bad day?