“Expensive way to buy wine.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 118 Nightlife in Plymouth
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
More attraction details
Owner description: Wine Lounge, Wine Retailer, Wine Education.
51 attraction reviews
“Expensive way to buy wine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

It's a clean pleasant environment. The young Frenchman on the till is very charming and helpful. But buying wine here, whether by the bottle or more so by the small measured amounts from the machine is astronomically expensive.

Visited August 2014
Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your review, however I'm very confused as to why you think we're astronomically expensive with tasters from 60p and glasses from £3.50. You might enjoy popping in on one of our offer days, for example we do Happy Fridays with a no corkage offer 4-9pm where bottle prices to drink in start from £8.40. Not many bars or restaurants that offer such low prices on good quality wines.

5 attraction reviews
“A regular visitor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

A concept I had not seen before - but provides and excellent way of trying a range of different wines in various quantities - from tasters to bottles. I go with my husband mainly - who doesn’t drink alcohol so this is fantastic for me to try a wide range of new wines, without the need to share a bottle. The best thing is I now try any and everything! Gone are the days where I thought I only liked one type of wine! Non wine drinkers are catered for with coffee, a limited range of juices, beers and if you have the munchies there are olives, and a couple of small but tasty platters to snack on. Seating outside, catching the sun in the morning / early afternoon. Blankets provided to sit out on the grass. A really good venue to unwind. For those who want to increase their knowledge there are regular wine tasting / course opportunities too - and of course you can buy to take home.

Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, we real appreciate the support.
Harlow, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
“A different but nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Visited Le Vignoble on a Saturday evening. I had rang earlier and reserved a table and glad I did due to the size of the place. There was a good selection of wines available to taste in various different quantities ranging from a taster to a 175ml glass. You were given a card which you could put into the wine machines and was charged automatically. You then paid when you left.

We tried some of the tapas plates, although nice were not that substantial for the price paid. Some of the wines were quite expensive but some were also very reasonable.

The venue is about 10 minutes out of the centre so a taxi works out quite well. Inside is nice but small. The place gets crowded and getting to some of the wine machines can be difficult as customers do not have much space to stand. The venue could do with being be a bit bigger.

Altogether a nice experience.

Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi Richard, thank you for your review I'm glad that you had a nice experience.
Mirfield
5 attraction reviews
“Do Not Miss This if You Go To Plymouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Being of a certain age there are not many new experiences that my wife and I come across nowadays, but I have to say we found Le Vignoble to be a brilliant and new experience. We were staying in Plymouth with my wife's cousin who had been here a couple of times before and thought we would enjoy it and we surely did.
For those of you who haven't been let me explain how the system works in this lovely wine bar. On entering you are greeted by the host who explains the system. You give your name and are given an electronic card. All the wines are displayed in cabinets which keep them at their ideal temperature. There are 4 or 5 wines to each cabinet and lots of cabinets. Each bottle has an LED sign above it which tells you the price of a taster, small glass or large glass. You then insert your card and choose your wine. Try a taster and if you don't like it, take another glass and try another. Tasters cost around £0.70 each depending on the wine and it's charged to your card. Go around and try as many as you like and when you find one you like have a small or large glass. Each wine has printed notes below it telling you all about that particular wine. You can of course buy bottles of wine to take away with you if you find a few you like. There are also meat and cheese platters available to go with the wine at around £7-£8 each. The seating is excellent and the whole ambience is brilliant. If it's a nice day they have outside seating, unfortunately on the day we were there it was wet so we sat inside. You settle your card on leaving as it's totalled up what you have drunk each time you use it.
This is a brilliant concept and I can't understand why it's only in Plymouth at the moment. My wife, myself and her cousin spent a lovely couple of hours in there enjoying the wines and chatting to the owner.
This is a place not to be missed if you are in Plymouth and near the The Royal William Yard. Can't wait for my next trip to Plymouth so that we can go again. Brilliant.

Visited June 2014
Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Look forward to seeing you again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great idea - but could still be improved on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Le Vignoble is a great idea and very well set out - with very informative pieces about each wine, I it took me ages to decide what to try first! The staff were very attentive too.

My partner and I had tapas - and while the selection of cheeses were very good it was very expensive for what it was and I would have liked to see more variety of tapas (although I appreciate that the focus is more on what you drink.)
It's also a shame that the venue is so small - my chair was constantly being knocked by the person sat on the table behind me, and I had to climb over stools and chairs to get to the wine/bathroom (not easy to do in a skirt...and after drinking wine...)

If I were to come back I would like to have an evening where you are told more about the wines/processes by a member of staff so that you can truly appreciate what you're drinking and where it comes from.

In all, it's a great place to try wines that you wouldn't normally buy, and a nice different evening activity to do in Plymouth - but it's not perfect yet!

Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review Natalie, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. We do private wine tasting classes and we're about to start a class on wednesday evenings for people that want to learn more about wine. Just drop us an email if you'd like some more information about them, info@levignoble.co.uk.