“Average but with a cost cutting feel.” 3 of 5 stars

Elfordleigh Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Colebrook, Plympton, Plymouth PL7 5EB, England   |
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Kent, UK
“Average but with a cost cutting feel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The room was a little on the small side with a high ceiling, it was also clean.. Despite the room feeling small, the television on the wall was even smaller, still, the picture was clear. I was gutted to find it didn't have a bath (room 8, Norfolk) or little pots of shampoo, just a wall mounted bottle. I'm not really into little bottles of shampoo, its just that a wall mounted bottle shouts of cheap. Staying in the bathroom the sink has a single tap mounted in the middle so you can't rinse your face with ease. Nor can you bend down over the sink because of the shelf sticking out. Minor things I know, but how long have people been building bathrooms.

I went to the bar for an evening meal and didn't get a good feel so went out. Nothing I can put my finger on, I just didn't want to eat there.

It was quiet in the night and I got a good nights sleep. The bed was comfy, but despite it being a double, I wouldn't have liked to have shared it with anyone, it was a bit narrow.

Breakfast was OK, nothing of note.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 9 months and loved every minute of it

Some of the rooms are big and very comfortable I even stayed on the honeymoon room which has a superb double jacuzzi bath

The staff are great and especially Anne who manages the breakfast and lunches

The golf course is also a good challenge with some stunning holes especially one which plays down from the hotel

• Stayed August 2011
Dartmoor,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

its was my 10th wedding anniversary and i wanted somewhere not far from home. i wanted a pool gym facilities and squash court. this place had the lot. the price for two with breakfast only £100. the front of house staff where lovely and helpful nothing was too much trouble. the pool and gym facilities great.
the building had some signs of ageing and bits could do with a touch up, but that added to the ambiance for me. i would go back again. its not 4 star luxury maybe 3 star with character. but who wants to stay at a faceless premier, marriot or what ever. shove me in the country side with lovely views and a pool and i'm happy.

Room Tip: bar a bit pricey, and dont expect a full slice of fried bread with your breakfast! bizzare why just...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Somerset United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed at this Hotel many many times over the last few years whilst on business in Plymouth, but this time when I arrived it had changed hands, and the difference was disturbing, I had asked for a room with a bath in it, and was told that there was only the bridal suite left with a bath, I booked this expecting a luxury experience, what I found was that it was exactly the same as other rooms I had stayed in before with the exception of a poor quality 4 poster bed, I even had to move the very small television so that I could watch it whilst lying in the bed, I was not impressed, and went down to the restraunt for dinner, gone was the specials board and menu that had previously been delicious, they had been replaced by an A4 sheet of paper with about 3 choices of starter, main and pudding, I ordered a main course Ploughmans which came with the smallest amount of bread you have ever seen, no onion or pickled onions, very tired pate and cheese, not very nice at all !, I then noticed that the people sat at an adjoining table had very different food from what was advertised on the menu, when I questioned this I was told that they were the new owners, to me this is very significant that the owners will not eat off of the menu that they expect customers to eat. I ordered a fruit crumble and custard for pudding, after about 15 mins, one of the bar staff came out to tell me that they had no crumble or custard, would I like an extra large helping of something else? I politly refused as if I had wanted something else I would have ordered it and the choice was so limited anyway, I thought that they might have offered me a complimentary coffee or somthing, but no.
And so to bed, the bed was comfortable enough, the spa bath was relaxing, and as always morning came too soon, now its time for breakfast, again gone from your table are the jams and butter, you now have a table to the side where you can make your own toast, there is a very limited choice of cereal with a few chunks of cheddar and chopped up tomato beside it, I ordered the cooked breakfast, what a letdown, everything was deep fried and horrid, the coffee was awfull, I took one mouthfull and could not drink it I think that it must have been the cheepest brand on the market.
All in all not the pleasant experience that I had been used to at this hotel, when I was checking out the girl at the reception desk asked me for feedback on my stay, so I told her exactly what I have reviewd above, and she was not suprised, and told me that I was not the only one to complain, and that they were very quiet at the moment, so I asked her why I had only been offered the most expensive room in the hotel, and she said that it was the new owners policy to sell from the top price down - What a rip off, I was due to stay another night, but decided against it and booked into the Premier Inn instead.

Room Tip: The Sunningdale has a spa bath, The Cambridge is very noisy, and the Elfordleigh Suite (top price ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cornwall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night as part of a large group. From the outside it looks very nice and the golf course looks beautiful. I was a late addition to the party and therefore booked through an independent budget website. I couldnt help but feel this might have been why the others had large rooms with lovely views over the golf course but I had a smaller room with a view of the bins behind the kitchen and a noisy kitchen extract vent outside the window. Despite this I have to say that the shower cubicle was really nice although it did leak all over the bathroom when used. The overall look and decor of the whole place is very old fashioned and dated which is fine but in a lot of areas it is also tired and delapidated.

We ate dinner in the restaurant followed by drinks in the bar and breakfast in the morning. All of this is priced at a premium, which wouldnt be a problem if we recieved a premium product and service (we didnt). All the food was pretty disgusting, overcooked and did not seem fresh. My steak was grizzly and wafer thin more like a cheap frying steak than a t-bone and no steak knifes made cutting it near impossible. £12.50 for a fried breakfast seems a lot at the best of times but when it is made with cheap horrible ingredients and overcooked to say the least it makes it a whole lot worse.(eggs to your liking??) I didnt even get asked and it was like rubber. Our waitress seemed to know nothing about the contents of the menu and simple questions such as what does the chicken come with involved going to the kitchen to find out and then after a 10 minute wait returning with information which turned out to be wrong when the dish finally came out. A round of drinks at the bar was another costly experience and with most of us drinking lager it was dissapointing that pint after pint was repeatedly flat and lifeless.

In summary I think it is a lovely place for a round of golf but thats as far as it goes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Lowestoft, Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a golf break for just a couple of nights, got back today. Absolutely brilliant staff, fantastic food in a lovely setting. The reception and restauant staff were very helpfull when we asked about anything they did their best to help, right down to directions into Plymouth. Nick the pro was more than helpful and gave us a lot of information about the course. The golf was challenging (lots of hills, coming from flat East Angia that was hard work). Even the players were friendly. Our room was clean and very spacious with a large bathroom and separate shower to bath. The queen sized bed was clean and comfortable, and there was plenty of storage space. All rooms are named (we were in Woodbury) which was next to the leisure centre with it's large pool, sauna, steam room, beauty room and fully equipped gym. No towel required as they are provided and the locker key is handed to you on the way in to the pool. They have a game area with a computerised large golf screen for indoor Golfers. The course itself was in immaculate condition and as I said very challenging. We took a buggy and it still took four hours to get round.

Stayed March 2012
Barcelona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The photos look great and it should be a nice place to stay. However, they ran out of steaks, 40 mins to get a pre-order snack for a diabetic, scones that took 40 minutes to arrive, ran out of cups, butter etc at breakfast and another run out the following night. Rooms are big and comfy but twenty pence piece on the floor in one bedroom and a container full of powder in another on arrival showed a great deal of lack of attention to the cleaning.

Several members of the staff are very good but they are fighting a loosing battle. After a speech, coffee and cake was supposed to be served. Went looking for the serving staff and ended up in the Kitchen where the chef said "What do you want?". When I told him he said "I´m not serving staff. Go find some some serving staff". Agree with some of the other comments that the management need to step up.

The pre ordering of your meals makes it feel more like a nursing home than an hotel.

At times, it felt like the hotel had been moved to Torquay and Basil would appear from behind the desk.

Room Tip: Find a clean one
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Elfordleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!