“Long wait, small portions” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #273 of 503 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Italian, Tapas
Dining options: Late Night
Description: A well established waterside cafe and bar in Plymouth England alongside several others which already have a Tripadvisor entry. Describes itself as Venetian Tapas which sounds a bit odd but the food style is light varied smacks many with a seafood bias. During summer week nights and lunchtime and weekends year round this is very busy but always offers daytime food. It is a lively fun place that deserves a listing.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Long wait, small portions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We visited Bacaro on a Saturday afternoon whilst the Maritime festival was happening in Plymouth which meant the Barbican area was fairly busy. Once we had ordered we had to wait 45 minutes for our food to arrive, in that time we had complained to a member of staff and another party sat nearby had also complained. We were told that only one chef was working today which we didn't feel acceptable as this weekend was expected to be busy for the area. We only ordered a set of 3 tapas and a baguette which should not take this time to prepare. The tapas were tasty but very small portions and the baguette which was advertised as 'beef and horseradish' but had no horseradish and was very dry. We will not be visiting Bacaro again, instead we will opt for one of it's neighbouring competitors.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nottingham
“Nice lunch sheltering from the rain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

After a day trying to explore Plymouth in the rain we wanted somewhere to grab some shelter with a good atmosphere.

We walked in, music was chilled and nice decor... Simple menu resulted in us settling at a table at the back and ordering jacket with Chilli and their cheese and onion baguette.
Food arrived quickly, well presented and tasted good... With tea and a coke came to just under £15.... And of course priceless shelter from the rain

We'd definaty recommend it as a nice place to shelter, but there are lots of options nearby and up the narrow streets

Hope it's drier when u visit

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty good quality but very small portion sizes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Tapas is one of my favourite meals, so when I stumbled Bacaro whilst looking for somewhere to eat prior to the national firework competition I thought great...!

Why do I point out the firework competition, that’s simple, it’s a massive event for Plymouth it attracts thousands of people many of whom descend on the local pubs, bars and restaurants to eat and drink.

So when we had decided what to have and then found that 2 of the 6 dishes were unavailable I was somewhat bemused, but anyway we ordered some alternatives and sat back.

Unfortunately disappointment ensued when the food arrived, whilst the food was of a good quality the portions where very small of particular note was the prawns in ginger and lemon, I’m not exactly how many prawns I was expecting but it was definitely more than the 3 that we got and they weren’t even particularly big.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Not bad,friendly staff made it better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Visited Plymouth for five nights and ended up here three out of the five evenings!lovely outdoor area to sit in and look out over the water. The wine was pretty pricey (around £15 for a bottle of white Chardonnay,which is a little more than I'm used to paying..maybe I'm exceptionally cheap!) all in all a nice place. The staff were very friendly which I think really makes a bar/restaurant.

Visited July 2012
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Food not in stock and Olives never delivered to table and Tuna not fresh.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

What more can I say.

I had lunch here on Thursday and tried to order a Tuna and crayfish Ciabatta with a side of Olives, there were only a few other people ordering and it was not busy.
I was told there were no Ciabattas in stock but I could have it with a brown slice of toasted bread. I reluctantly accepted as I was hungry.

When it arrived I waited for the olives to come out that I ordered. After 5 mins the waitress came over and asked if everything was ok, I asked for some Mayo and mentioned the olives. Another 5 mins went by the mayo was given to me but still no olives, by this time I give up and started to tuck into my now cold toasted sandwich. To my shock and horror the Tuna was from a can and very cheap, salty and full of boney gristle. To my surprise the crayfish was one of the best.

After I finished and I went back to the till and simply asked for a refund on the olives which I had asked for twice.

I wont be coming back, there are plenty more harbor side cafes that have basic food stuffs in stock and that offer fresh fish/shellfish with a much better service.

• Visited May 2012