“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Scotland
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Home for a week from Scotland, had booked a table for 14 to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary (which turned out to be 15), we had a fabulous evening. The food was great, the service was fantastic! Thanks to Paul and the girls who run the restaurant so well and make all customers feel comfortable and at ease. We ate at the Ship 4 nights out of our 8 night stay in Ugborough. You always know you will have an excellent meal and service.

Visited March 2014

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not family friendly!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We didn't get as far as a drink or the food, so I can't comment on that. We were celebrating my 17 year old son passing out from HMS Raleigh. We were shown to our table having told the server we were having a meal. She took our drinks order which included beer for my son, and that's where the wheels came off! On discovering he was 17 she told me it was house policy not serve anyone under 18 with alcohol. I pointed out that the law allowed 16/17 year olds to have wine, beer or cider with a meal but she refused. We left. Management later confirmed that the server was correct, that is their policy.

I don't dispute the pub's right to set their own rules, but I must say I regarded it as very unfriendly and unwelcoming. I have never encountered a problem anywhere else when ordering a drink with food for a 16/17 year old, and it was somewhat embarrassing. The lad is old enough to serve his country, he's certainly old enough to take a drink if the law permits it.

• Visited March 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“SHIP INN RESTAURANTEXCELLANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Excellent service, food and large menu, staff always warm welcome, roaring log fires and some evenings special offers, Fantastic value

Visited March 2014
South Brent
“monday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

First visit to this off the beaten track village pub. A very nice village too! Very clean looking throughout the Inn. Friendly welcome and good service throughout the meal. Other than a party of 5 at another table, who surprisingly I knew, we were the only other diners. The menu was fairly extensive and should satisfy most tastes. I probably made a mistake with my starter, ordering scallops at a time when fishing vessels have been severely restricted in their activity by long spells of adverse weather. The starter portion of 5 scallops, with chorizo and butternut squash puree, was generous and tasty enough, but probably not as fresh, as I would normally enjoy, but I am spoilt by my connections with commercial fishing! I might add the menu had hake and lemon soles on it and these are fish currently being landed in South Devon. For mains my wife had a venison casserole and I had haunch of venison. Both good sized portions and both tasty ( I tried both!). My venison had a nice thick sauce or gravy, which according to the menu should have been of blackberry flavour, but I found this hard to locate on my palate. My wife also thought the casserole lacked slightly on seasoning. Both sweets looked and tasted good, albeit again I would have liked to have tasted the rum and coconut more in my brulee. Overall a fairly good attempt at attaining an excellent cooking standard, but let down a little with lack of seasoning or taste. I would go there again and give it another try. Price I found reasonable at just over £60 for the whole meal for two + drinks and a nice coffee.

Visited February 2014
Bigbury-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious,excellent and consistent in my experience for the last fifteen years.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We live reasonably close and it is always worth the journey. If there was a competition for the best combination of food and service Paul and his team would undoubtedly get my vote. A few of the reviews that I have read indicate a severe lack of understanding of consistently good English cooking and excellent meat,fish and vegetables.

The wine list is exactly right ,offering choice and range - and excluding some of the more "posy" recent offerings and encompassing much of the Chilean/Argentinian new creations.

We were four -fully fed and properly served- a special experience and far enough from Plymouth to keep the traditional hospitality appreciated by visitors and locals alike!!

• Visited January 2014