“Simple, effective, entertaining” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Simple, effective, entertaining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Been on a few of these distillery tour things now, and can honestly say this one was the best. we did the short tour (roughly 20 minutes) as we had some time to kill and had read positive reviews on here. Due to the flammable nature of the distillery, you are told not to take photos and often have to toch a metal bar before entering certain areas to ensure static is not introduced in to the environment, which all feels very James Bond. Not being a massive Gin fan, I was delighted that the tour centred on the most interesting parts of both the brand history and the recipe. Getting to hear about why Gin is 100% proof is a story that I've bored many of my friends with ever since! After the tour you get either a free drink in the classy members bar upstairs or you can take a miniature home with you. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Visited May 2013

Lennox Head, Australia
8 attraction reviews
“Plymouth Gin Distillery Cocktail Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We wanted to go to the restaurant at the Distillery however it is currently closed. The barman made a great suggestion for dinner - Hakisan and we decided to return to the bar for a nightcap. We enjoyed a couple of delightful gin and champagne cocktails lounging in the comfy settees. The same barman was a delight to talk to and more than helpful providing other tips for places to dine while in Plymouth. I thoroughly recommend a visit to the cocktail bar!

Visited July 2013
Newbury, UK
“Top tour and cocktails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We took a last minute tour of the gin distillery (we were lucky enough to find spaces - you need to book in advance) for my birthday.

I'm a big Plymouth Gin fan so they were already onto a winner with me!

The tour was lead by a very knowledgable lady who made the facts interesting. We did the 40 minute tour, which included the history of the distillery, learning how the gin is made, seeing the ingredients and tasting the output! It also included a money off voucher for the shop and a free drink in the 'bar'.

The bar (Refectory) is stunning! The service is impeccable and the G&T was (obviously) perfect. We enjoyed it so much we booked a table to return later that evening with friends for after dinner drinks. It turns into a members only bar in ghe evening, from what I can tell, so you need to ask. But the atmosphere was perfect, no booming music - we could actually have a conversation! And the service, once again, was faultless. The lady on the door even remembered me from earlier in the day and wished me happy birthday!

You may think from my review that I don't know Plymouth - but I grew up there! And still I found this a brilliant find, interesting tour and wonderful bar. I highly recommend doing the tour and visiting the bar whether you're a local or a tourist.

We'll be back again to do the 2.5 hour tour where you make your own gin!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“INTERESTING BUT POOR SERVICE! RUDE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was visiting a friend in Plymouth Saturday and she had booked for us to go here; we booked the 4.30 tour but it did say to be here at 4.20. Unfortunately we were running late and arrived a minute after 4.30! literally! The lady who served us made us feel like naughty school girls! Firstly she moaned about us having to pay separately, then she decided to grab our bags off us because apparently they were too big to carry around, I didn't even have chance to take my purse and phone from my bag and felt very uncomfortable leaving it with her; she then told us she had to get the tour started so to come back and pay after! Her tone of voice and manner was very very rude and this was in front of paying customers who we could tell also felt awkward. I was shocked - so much so the tour was a bit of a blur! Cocktail and bar after was great!

Plymouth UK
10 attraction reviews
“Plymouth Gin Refectory Cocktail Bar - Saturday night group experience was fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Much better experience than Plymtown below a few days ago (19 June). Both the primary members of staff who welcomed and served our group were new, so perhaps they were very new last weekend, or maybe the old ones no longer work there! Bill was efficiently dealt with by giving each sub-group its own 'table number'. Some of the cocktails took a while to arrive, true, but "Art takes time"!