“They changed our crossing so we had to drive an extra 600 miles and they won't pay our costs!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Brittany Ferries - Day Trips

Ranked #5 of 20 activities in Plymouth
Type: Ferries/ Boats, Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth direct to France and Spain. Our routes take you closer to popular holiday destinations, saving miles of driving, fuel costs, tolls and overnight stops. Choose either superb comfort of a cruise ferry, no-frills economie service or speed across The Channel on our fast craft.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was recently returning from Spain to the UK and was booked on the Santander - Portsmouth crossing. This was cancelled due to a problem with the boat and Brittany Ferries could not accommodate me on another crossing until 15 days later! Therefore the only alternative was for me to drive from mid Spain to northern France to get on a crossing from Caen (an additional 600 miles and 9 hours drive). This in itself, of course, caused me quite a lot of distress as it cut my trip short. Brittany Ferries agreed to pay the cost of the petrol but, despite a number of complaints from myself, will not reimburse the cost of the extra toll roads that I incurred during my extra journey through France (£80) leaving me significantly out of pocket! Surely any reputable company would provide some kind of compensation, however small, for my distress and inconvenience but Brittany Ferries not only won't do this - they won't even cover my out of pocket expenses for the massive extra journey! I'm thoroughly disgusted. I recommend that you think very carefully about travelling with them as, if something goes wrong, they do not seem to care enough to ensure their customers' are taken care of.

Visited October 2013
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries - Day Trips, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear ‘Chapman81’,

I am very sorry for the disruption caused to your travel plans and I understand how inconvenient this must have been for you. Unfortunately, following an unexpected technical fault we had to cancel your crossing for the ship to go into dry dock for repair.

Problems such as these are thankfully very rare, but when they occur we do our best to help those customers affected. On this occasion this has meant advising customers of the options available to them and refunding according to the customer’s choice. As you chose to travel through France and return via Caen with us we have refunded the difference in the crossings and provided you with a contribution to your onward travel costs, to assist you in getting to Caen.

I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me directly via my email jane.aldridge@brittanyferries.com so that I can ensure that you have been given the appropriate refunds and contributions. I will also be able to provide you with a letter to send to your insurers with detailed information regarding the situation to help assist with a claim.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

York, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Very Good Crossings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I travelled on the 22:45 Portsmouth to Caen crossing and then the on Tuesday 29 October 2013 and 23:00 Caen to Portsmouth crossing on Saturday 2 November 2013. The Cabin I had on the outward crossing was great with tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and a TV. The Cabin steward was really helpful and welcoming as was the crew on Mont St Michel and in the Car Deck. The prices were just right and the cabin and en-suite were very clean. The breakfast which came to the cabin on the outward crossing was great. The self service breakfast was standard. Brittany Ferries gives fantastic customer service as soon as you board the Ship.

Poole, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Pont Avon and Cap Finistere - Portsmouth to Santander/ Bilbao”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

It was our fist time using this route. We booked well in advance to ensure a decent price and as users of LD lines in the past, were very pleased with the initial standard of the boat Pont Avon for the outward leg to Santander. The food is basic and expensive but we were happy to pay as it was better than what we had experienced before using LD. A nice surprise was that we had free WiFi in certain zones for the whole crossing which was fairly good strength. When it came to sleeping in our two berth cabin, the room was small but clean, the beds were excruciatingly hard and you only get one pillow, hence not a good nights sleep even though the sea was pretty flat. Outside space the boat was good and we found a sunny place to dolphin and whale spot, of which we saw a few. Getting off at Santander was pretty easy and the sat nav did its job and got us out and on our way with no issues. The return journey from Bilbao on Cap Finistere was not as good. We had issues finding the port using sat nav and eventually arrived with minutes to spare. Once onboard our four berth cabin was more spacious, very clean but we had the same issues with the hard beds and lack of pillows. The choice of food was less, so unless you wanted to pay £30 per person for dinner, your only choice was a salad from the mini market. Also hot breakfast was £10 but didn't look that nice, so instead it was a pastry or roll from the shop. The WiFi was not as good either, although it was available the signal/speed was very weak making it frustrating. Not much outside space in this boat either and most of which is taken up by smokers. A smoke free outside zone might be worth a thought on both boats. This boat also seem to have TVs on in the WiFi zones and main seating areas, which is fine if you are a fan of daytime TV but as I am not I found it annoying and intrusive. Entertainment on both boats was good, if you like that sought of thing. Brittany Ferries really need to brush up on a few points to make this a wholly pleasurable experience but for me, I will be sticking to the Pont Avon in the future.

BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries - Day Trips, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear ‘eejayflipper’,

It is good to hear that you were pleased with the standard onboard Pont-Aven when you travelled to Santander.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the pillow provided; we do offer more pillows if you would like them, please just ask at the information desk onboard for another one.

It is disappointing to read that you were unhappy with the choice of food available on Cap Finistere. For your information we also have Le Cafe Salad Bar on the top deck which offers hot food such as pasta, pizza and burgers amongst other things. An English breakfast and continental breakfast are also available from here.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment onboard as well as making use of the complimentary WiFi.

Thank you for travelling with us and we appreciate the feedback that you have given us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again in the future.

Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just returned from an overnight trip from Poole to Cherbourg.
Being our anniversary we were thinking of something different to do, and spotted the special offers from Brittany ferries for a "day trip" to Cherbourg. In fact on further investigation the time away could be up to 36hrs, so we crossed to Cherbourg on the 0830 and came back the next day on the 1845. Excellent value for money.

We have experienced Brittany Ferries before on the Portsmouth to St Malo run, which we enjoyed, this was no exception. Good service, nice clean ship, smart pleasant staff, good French cooking available in the restaurant. All in all a very good time out, thank you Brittany Ferries for making our time with you enjoyable.

Only downside was leaving the ferry on return to Poole, having to wait 30mins queuing to get through Border Control, but that is not Brittany ferries fault!

Manchester
14 attraction reviews
“BIRTHDAY TREAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We travelled on the Bretagne as part of the Gourmet Cruise from Portsmouth to St Malo advertised by Brittany Ferries to celebrate my wife's birthday. We found it excellent value for money and enjoyed the experience. We travelled the night after the big storm and the crossing was a little interesting. The food both on board the Bretagne and at the Café de l'Ouest was excellent. We have travelled on this route and cruise ferry previously and were not disappointed by this latest trip. We would have no problems in recommending this package.

Visited October 2013
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries - Day Trips, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear ‘Mostonian’,

It is great to read your review of the Gourmet Cruise that we offer. I’m pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your meal both onboard Bretagne and in Café de l'Ouest

I hope that your wife enjoyed her birthday celebrations and thank you for your recommendation.