“Updating needed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Vaasa, Finland
“Updating needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was traveling for business and had been booked in a family room by mistake. The hotel was fully booked so there was no way of switching to a standard room. The room was located right across the elevator and right above the parking garage, not the quietest location for a room but that probably rarely is the case with a family room. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a bunk bed, something I've only seen in hostels. Luckily enough the spacious room also contained a standard queen bed (and a crib). The flush on my toilet didn't really work, so if I would have been staying for longer than one night, I would have had a big issue with this. Wifi isn't included, something I was not expecting. The location however was splendid, it is right at the sea and only a short walk to all the restaurants at the harbour. The restaurant is in the penthouse of the hotel so it has a beautiful view (or so I've been told, it was rather foggy when I was visiting) and the breakfast is a proper English one, including (blood) pudding and all!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your review.
Please accept my apologies for the error in your bedroom allocation and the fact that we could not move you as we were fully booked. I have discussed this with our Reservations Team to ensure that it does not occur again. I have also asked our Maintenance Team to address the issue with the toilet flush.
I was pleased to read that you found the location excellent. It is unfortunate that during your stay the fog prevented you from enjoying the view from the Penthouse floor, it is great when the weather is clear. Thank you also for your comments regarding our breakfast standards.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Plymouth.

George Arizmendi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Nuneaton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The main virtue of this hotel is its outstanding location and ease of accessing all the key tourist haunts of Plymouth. The executive room we had was spacious with fabulous views but the furniture was grubby and tatty. The bathroom was fine. The air conditioning worked but was so noisy that sleep was impossible with it on. Even when it was off you could still hear other units adjacent. Room cleaning was adequate but clearly with so many coach parties the staff were overstretched.

Breakfast was well run and much improved on my last stay. Despite large numbers there was very little waiting and the staff worked very hard to clear and provide tea and coffee quickly. The evening meals were normal Holiday Inn prices which means you could eat out in very high quality places such as the new Gary Rhodes restaurant or the River Cottage Canteen for the same prices.

The leisure facilities were well maintained, clean and the pool a reasonable temperature. Please note there is not always someone on duty so families need to be aware of this.

Reception were efficient but the male managers outside of the restaurant were very poor in their treatment of guests. Certainly not Holiday Inn standards. No welcome when you came in through reception and no good mornings etc when they passed you by. In contrast the lady staff were always full of smiles and a greeting. Indeed the cleaning staff were more engaging than some of the male duty managers. The location of the hotel is great for holidays ,business and pre and post ferry travel. Understandably a lot of coach companies use it so it ought to be a flagship holiday Inn but sadly it is jaded with jaded management that makes this the poorest Holiday Inn I have stayed in this year both in this country and abroad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Mikem28,

Thank you for your candid review. We are delighted to read you enjoyed our location. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

stayed here whilst visiting family so only really slept here, well tried to, beds not very comfortable and there was building work going on outside at 8am on a Saturday and Sunday morning. I know this is not the hotels fault however they must have known about it as it looked like it had been going on a while and we should have been told.
car park was ridiculously small, with no room to actually move around it.
few staff I did meet were friendly

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear daftbat1987,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your comments about the beds have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We had reserved an "Executive Room" in the hope of something of a slightly better standard than one might expect in a city center Holiday Inn property. Alas, we were disappointed.

The room decor looked rather tired - panel under the air conditioner was hanging off; about half a Ritz cracker and associated crumbs were evident behind one of the bed side tables; there was only one bath towel provided for two guests. A call to front desk for advice on a local taxi company just rang and rang - when I tried the number of the Porter, it was eventually answered and I was told quite clearly that this was not the porter's job and I should call the front desk again!

Buffet breakfast was fine and the gentleman who seated us was friendly, welcoming and very customer focused. In addition, the lady at checkout was delightful - extremely warm and friendly.

Overall, not somewhere I would select again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NovaDiners,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Really impressed by the holiday inn. We ad a family room. It was huge! Everyone was happy and the kids slept well. We enjoyed evening drinks in the penthouse and breakfast was great! Lots of choice, it was well cooked and again,the views were awesome. Our room was a bit smelly and our air com didnt work. The rest of our party didnt have either if these problems so we think it was just unfortunate. Staff listened to us when we talked to them about this and did their best to find a satisfactory solution. I would definitely consider staying again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. I was delighted to read your comments regarding dinner and breakfast, and as you say, the view from the Penthouse is quite spectacular.

I have noted your comment regarding the Air Conditioning in the room and will action it accordingly.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Plymouth.

George Arizmendi
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I have been staying at the Holiday Inn for 20 years even when it was the Moat House and it is in an ideal location on Plymouth Hoe with the view top restaurant and the swimming pool on the 2 nd floor one of its qualities

My wife and I took our youngest daughter and granddaughter who is 3 who said can we live here please perhaps WIlheim the General Manager could comment ( only joking ) as she enjoyed it very much especially the pool ,breakfast and friendly helpful staff,

We had a meal at 6 pm in the bar on Friday and this was enjoyed by us all especially the ice cream for the granddaughter. A. Special thanks to the waitress and barman on Fridayand Lisa and all the staff on reception who were efficient with good customer care skills on check in and out. Hope to see you all again soon

Room Tip: I always get there early and park in the car park outside and have no problems. Ideal for the barbic...