“I don't mind this place” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Armada Way, Plymouth PL1 1AR, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Cambridge
“I don't mind this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stay in Plymouth on business every few weeks and I think it's the best Plymouth has to offer.

I always go for a club room and they are pretty good if you overlook the dated appearance. Spacious and very clean the beds are quite good and the bedding decent quality. Only double beds though so be aware if you like a bigger bed. There s a small gym in the hotel which has good equipment and I always use.

Only slight quibble I have is that the breakfast is a bit chaotic - the food is ok but the service slightly crazy. You order toast and coffee and the forget etc but now that I know what to expect I am onto it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Berkshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Cant fault it, clean and tidy, low price, didnt use any of the food facilities.Right in the middle of the city. Moaned a bit to ourselves when we saw the queue of four for check in but the efficient reception guy whizzed through that in no time so cant even complain about that. Helpful lady at check out and they stored our rucksacks after .Possibly better value than anywhere else we stayed in the past year.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high up room. We could see the sea ( first beers on me) and over the rooftops.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on The Copthorne Hotel Plymouth.

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We aim to ensure all guests are seen to in a timely manner and not kept waiting too long, thank you for appreciating that this was adhered to as best we could given the circumstances.

Customer service is important to us and we are glad you had good encounters with our staff members.

Should you ever return to Plymouth, please contact us direct and allow us to assist in your return visit.

Kind regards,

Swansea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great location. Staff very friendly on the whole. Room was pretty good although a little dark. Wasn't impressed with an obvious stain on one of the bed covers (despite it being washed) - poor observation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Southend on Sea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

There is only one half decent feature that I found in this hotel and that was the breakfast. However given the terrible bed and drab dated room I wasn't in the mood to stomach the food. This hotel is almost everything that you wouldn't want. The staff were not welcoming or helpful, there was no offer of help with bags which had to be lugged up from the car park.
I have stayed in cheaper hotels in similar locations that outshine this by a mile.
£2.50 for an ice bucket, no complementary WIFI, cold shower. I could go on and on..........
Have also stayed at the Copthorne at Effingham and had a much better experience so I assume this is just a case of poor staff training and attention to detail. In the case Copthorne, I am clearly not 'The centre of your world'.

Room Tip: Don't book via sites like booking.com you will end up in a rubbish room that their 'real cus...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel.

May I offer my sincere aplogies for the poor service you recieved during your stay with us. As a hotel we strive to deliver a high level of customer service and I apolgise that we failed you on this occasion.

It is noted that the Copthorne Plymouth requires an injection of capital. Whislt this is in the early planning stages we would not expect work to commence until Mid 2014.

Whilst It is never pleasant to recieve negative comments on our review sites, all your comments are valuble as this enables us to strive to improve our standards througout the hotel.

Should you be planning a return trip to Plymouth, please conatct myself directly and allow me the oppourtunity to restore your faith in us.

Once again please accept our apologies and I hope to welcome you back to the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for a conference.
Fire alarm: unfortunately we were woken at 5 a.m. by a false fire alarm only to go back to bed and have a real fire alarm 40 minutes later. I am not sure what happened. Initially a member of staff said that they had smelled something burning in the corridor, later we were informed that was an electrical fire. I have to say despite the rude awakening I appreciated that the staff choose to be 'better safe than sorry'. It made me feel safe as a guest.

The rooms are worn but very clean and most importantly spacious! Next to a big bed there was a working desk with wireless internet available, a seating corner which fitted a smal couch and an easy chair and despite all this the room was not crowded. If you can live with the early 90s decor it is worthwhile.

Staff were always helpful and friendly.

The hotel is particularly well situated with easy walking access to the town and it takes about 20 minutes to walk to the harbour.

Quirky: there was bottle opener screwed to the wall in the bathroom and if you are travelling for a while you might appreciate that the bathroom has a small fold-away drying rack over the bathtub.

Dear Guest

May I start by offering our apologies for the disruption to your stay. Thank you for being so understanding on this matter. Due to Health and Safety proceedures we must treat all fire alarms as full evacuations to ensure the safety of our guests.

Its good to hear that you were mostly pleased with your Hotel room. As a company we are aware the hotel is in need of some refurbishment. This is now in the early planning stages and we are hopeful work will commence Mid 2014.

Should you find yourself back in Plymouth do not hesiate to contact me directly to help with future bookings.

Many thanks,
Llanelli, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Chose the Copthorne for its location, it's ideally situated if you need to be near the shops. Its a very clean hotel, but as you can see by others, it is a little dated and in need of something to bring it up to todays standards, (carpet in room was thread bare in places). The staff where really polite and helpful even under pressure, just didn't seem to be enough of them when it was really busy. Stayed for two nights B&B, first night was wonderful, but it was the breakfast on the second morning that spoilt it for us, it was a very busy Sunday morning with not enough staff to cover, started well with coffee but had to go to another room to get the food, got back to the table and it had been cleared, food was cold by the time replacement cutlery was found. (no point going for replacement hot food, there were no plates.)
Just a little thing to remember when booking, The parking is NOT free, £6 a night even if you park outside the front.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth.

It’s nice to hear your positive comments about our location and the cleanliness of Hotel. As a company we are aware that the hotel is in need of some refurbishment. We are currently in the early planning stages of this and hoping the work will commence mid 2014.

May I offer our apologies for the lack of attention you received during your breakfast on the 2nd morning. It is our aim to offer customer service of a high standard and your comments will help us strive to achieve this.

Should you ever find yourself in Plymouth again, do not hesitate to contact me direct and allow me to assist in your hotel arrangements and ensuring your stay will be the best possible.

Kind Regards,
Reception Shift Leader
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, a few steps from the town centre. However, it's 'tired' and a bit shabby and needs updating.
Great to have secure parking, and staff were helpful.
Just needs a face lift!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Copthorne Hotel Plymouth? Share your experiences!