“Fantastic Friday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 503 Restaurants in Plymouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Waterside restaurant and bar with stunning views over the marina and Cattewater. The Bridge is a relaxed modern restaurant with an ever changing and interesting menu along with good wines and beers. It's also a great coffee stop for the Coastal Path with dog friendly areas.
Plymouth
“Fantastic Friday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Visited on Friday, to escape cold turkey and left overs. So glad we did, 6 of us with a small bambino to boot. Service welcoming and friendly, food fantastic, nothing to much trouble. Had sea bass which was delightful, made to feel like old friends, all staff a credit to the place. Cheers team, wonderful as usual.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BruceBrunning, Owner at The Bridge Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hi JB18,

Thank you so much for helping to make the tail end of the year so good for us. It was very kind of you to review us so well on TA particularly at this very busy time of year. Thanks a million for taking the time.

I will make sure all the crew read it!

Happy New Year.

Bruce.

England
“Best dining this side of Laira Bridge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having eaten at Turtley a couple of times was pleased to see this place is under the same management.
Same interesting yet non complicated locally sourced menu and a great wine list, added to good value for money make this place a good choice for a relaxing meal. Knock out view over the marina is a real plus too.
It's gastro pub rather than fine dining, but great non the less and I'll definitely return!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
BruceBrunning, Owner at The Bridge Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hi Poppy,

What a lovely Christmas present! It was very kind of you to take time out at this oh so busy time to let us know your thoughts on The Bridge. It was very flattering and much appreciated by us all.

I will make sure the crew read it. Have a good New Year.

Bruce.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We went to The Bridge for lunch the other day and it was truly awful. We have been many times before and it has always been wonderful, but the staff were not on the ball this particular day, it took them ten minutes to take our order and when the food came at least 25 mins later it was stone cold. Even the toilets upstairs, usually pristine, had toilet paper all over the floor. What on earth has happened? Very disappointed, it did not live up to its previous reputation.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
BruceBrunning, Owner at The Bridge Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
You wrote to us, we wrote back explaining the differences events. It is clear you did not like us disagreeing with you and so decided to use TA to vent your anger. This is a shame and is not using TA properly.

We will simply post our full reply to on the TA site allowing readers to come to their own conclusions.

Our response was as follows;

As per my e-mail of yesterday I have now had chance to speak to the team at the Bridge and also watch the sequence of events on our CCTV and this allows me a little insight into the sequence of events yesterday.

Firstly, I must say we never take a complaint lightly and as you say you are a regular customer the last thing we wish to do is offend you by either being lapse on service or remiss in our food.

This is the timing sequence of your visit ;

· 12.45 Entered bar and ordered drinks
· 1.37 table cleared
· 1.48 Puddings taken to table
· 1.59 Josh clears table
· 2.15 Paid bill

As you can see from the sequence played back to me I am happy that service was as we would expect, sometimes, customers can feel that they have waited an interminable amount of time when the reality is that from our service point of view it was without question fine. We are not ‘fast food’ and therefore 20mins is not unacceptable for food to be cooked? From arrival to the food being delivered I fail to see what we did wrong but clearly you wished to order much quicker – of course we do state on the menu that if you wish to place your food order at the bar this is fine, maybe, next time this is what you may wish to do.

With reference to the food – you chose from the light bite set menu at £11.95 for two courses and I am sorry you felt it was remnant of school dinners. I have to agree with you as I also find pie, veg and potatoes with gravy a reminder of days gone by but wonder how else you feel it could have been served? We use ‘Tom’s of Exeter’s’ pies who are Taste of the West Gold award winners, however, I certainly did not have such quality at my school!! There is no excuse for cold bread and butter pudding and whilst more difficult to ascertain if this was the case rest assured we will ensure that the larder are aware of the need for ‘hot’ desserts.

The crew on duty did ask whether all was ok and this is the time to highlight problems to enable us to rectify – I think the fact you did not enjoy your pie allowed you to criticise a little unfairly your whole experience. We will certainly ask other pie eaters for feedback and will change if we find the same responses although they have been on since August with no comment?

I trust you will not allow this one off experience stop you returning as you have had many good meals and I hope that you are able to e-mail me the next time on a happier note.

Thank you for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Tasty food - excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My second visit to The Bridge, this time in the evening. Once again the food was delicious, with a fabulous fish stew in a rich tomato sauce. Initially one of our party was disappointed that the sea bass which they had had previously was off the menu, but the whole plaice was apparently equally tasty. The highlight for me was the smaller of the cheese platters, with a choice of four cheeses from the south-west served on a slate, with a separate square of jelly (cranberry, quince and two others) which I shared with one of my fellow diners. The staff were friendly and efficient. The only downside was the lighting - which was subtle, but made it impossible for my father, aged 92, to read the menu. Would be very happy to dine here again, next time I am in Plymouth.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BruceBrunning, Owner at The Bridge Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Great review - thank you very much. Sorry it was lacking in a bit of light for Dad to read the menu: mind you at 92 it's wonderful to be able to get out and about. Let us know next time and we'll sort it out!

Thank you for letting others know you enjoyed yourselves via TA. Most kind. Bruce.
Paris, France
“Lovely place with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Been here a couple of times for afternoon food. Lots of my friends that live near it rave about it. The food I have had has been really nice. My friends are real foodies and have eaten here a lot and cannot speak highly enough about it. I liked the decor and location.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BruceBrunning, Owner at The Bridge Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thanks a million for such kind remarks. It was very kind of you to put them on TA. We are, of course, absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your Trip out to The Bridge. We love it too! Bruce.