“Very good specials” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Very good specials”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We went as a party of 9 recently for someones birthday. My particular experience was brilliant. My starter of Moules was nice and tasty. ( hard to go wrong with such a classic dish!)

I had the special of Fillet steak, king prawns and scallops for main with bacon mashed potato. Presentation was first class, and the food was very good. I did order the steak rare, and it came out nice and pink although just a touch undercooked.

The price wasnt cheap, £23.99, but there is a set menu for £16.95. The food on the set menu looked very good as well and seemed great value.

One point you can improve, chambers, is by increasing the beer variety. You had either carlsberg or non alcoholic. The beer appeared to be cans poured into a glass and at £4 a pop thats not good enough. The house wine was enjoyable enough!

Not a cheap night out by any means, most other restaurants on the barbican are of a similar price and better decor but i was happy with the food :)

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to Chambers and what a dissapointment. The service was extremely slow, but it was the food which let it down, starters were ok we had to ask for bread and received two half slices no butter, the mains were really a let down with dry oven chips served and the most awful vegetable dish, the saving grace was the desserts which were delicious, if chambers wants repeat business stop serving oven chips and re vamp your dining area it is very 'tired'

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Devon
“How 6 months can change”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Returned again for the first time in 6 months to find what seemed to be new owners. Maybe to bring some charm and life back into the place. Oh dear. This is a small pub anyway with limited space but is now jammed full with a nut vending machine, fruit machine, table top football gaming table, beer barrels and tables and chairs stacked in the corner resembling more like a storeroom, tv screens displaying tacky adverts and seats turned upside down on tables, to stop apparently people sitting down if they are not buying food. The owners of this place of years gone by who had this place buzzing and who now very successfully own the Clovelly Bay would be amazed how the fortunes of this little pub have changed.

Visited June 2012
Newcastle
“Hidden away, nice food and good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I've been working in the Plymouth area for 8 years now and only found this restaurant last week by mistake, what a nice mistake it was.

You go up a creaky staircase and the restaurant is in a small but well decorated room overlooking the end of The Barbican.......I'd guess that they only have seats for about 20-26 covers but thats fine by me.

Menu a good choice with a special platter for 2 menu on the wall, they also did a 2 course menu for about £16 which is what I went for.

The waiter was very knowledgable about the menu, I think he also cooked the food, if he did then it is commendable to him and the waitress who were possibly the only two working that night.

One small grumble was that the wine wasn't what I ordered and we didn't realise until we had our glasses full and had a drink, the wine we were given wasn't bad but wif they didn't have what we ordered than they should have given us the option instead of giving us what they felt was closest.

All in all though, nice food, nice room, great service.

We will return next time we are working down Plymouth.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant worth finding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We found this restaurant as we were walking around the Barbican area of Plymouth and liked the look of the menu so gave it a try. It had a lovely, cosy atmosphere and as I love fish I had 2 seafood courses which were great. This made me extremely happy as I haven't had a well-cooked (i.e. not grilled/steamed beyond recognition) piece of fish from a restaurant in a long time. My wife enjoyed her meal too and we will definitely be going back.

• Visited June 2012