“An Absolute Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jay Cottage

Jay Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lynton
Jay Cottage
You added Jay Cottage to your Saves list
6 Lynbridge Road, Lynton, Exmoor National Park EX35 6BD, England   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Lynton B&B and Inns
“An Absolute Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend break, and stayed in Jay Cottage. The cottage is beautiful and rustic, our room with its four poster bed was of a decent size considering we were in a cottage and a large en suite.
The room was clean and well presented and the couple who own and run this delightful B&B are very engaging and friendly. The breakfast was lovely and overall we had a great time. Having read the one negative review I can only assume they did not now the difference between a 100+ year old B&B and a modern hotel or they were confused and staying in a different B&B! Don't miss this Gem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Jay Cottage for a weekend break. We were made to feel very welcome, the room was lovely and breakfast was superb. Set us up for a full days walk and a great place to come back to and relax! Well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I have just returned from an enjoyable stay at Jay Cottage. Located on the edge of Exmoor National Park, we visited hoping to find relaxing settings and a base from which we could do some walking and visit some of the local attractions such as the Valley of the Rocks. We were greeted by the friendly couple who own the cottage, who welcomed us in and helped us to carry our bags to the room which was spacious and immaculately clean. The bathroom is a good size, with bath and shower. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower… perfect after a day walking, or an evening at the pub come to that. The room also had facilities for making hot drinks. Although we didn’t use it, there was a living room downstairs which was nice and warm which we were invited to use if we wanted to do so. The breakfasts, which are cooked to order, are fantastic! The owners were extremely knowledgeable about the local area, and were able to advise on walks, attractions and where to (and perhaps more importantly not to) eat – ideal when you’re new to an area. We would particularly recommend the Blue Ball for food or an evening drink… a fantastic pub a few miles away. In summary, Jay Cottage was everything we wanted. A comfortable temperature, nice clean room, good location and friendly and helpful owners… I’d have no hesitation in recommending it and will definitely be going back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here in this B&B and found it lovely. The couple, Debra and Gary are extremely friendly, helpful and obliging. They catered for our needs without complaint and this included a very early breakfast on the Saturday. The rooms are lovely and there is obviously a lot of thought gone into decoration etc. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a lovely little B&B. The rooms were immaculate and well decorated and the breakfasts were fantastic - cooked to order and including home made jams! The owners were friendly, had a wealth of local knowledge and were always happy to help. A great little spot to get away from it all!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The owners were very helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable and clean with good facilities. Breakfast was incredible with every taste catered for, I can highly recommend the homemade jams. Great location with numerous walks on the door step and just off the South West Coastal Path. In all a comfortable and relaxing stay I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Hi Guys,

My partner and I decided to have a weekend break here. Our first B&B experience. I wouldn't recommend it. Allow me to explain. When we arrived, all-be-it half an hour early, we were greeting by the owners as they pulled up in the car. I was knocking on the door and turned to find two slightly disapproving facial expressions. "why are you here so early, we don't normally allow people to come in so early" I was got shot at me. I waved down my partner in the car to realise that th driveway was tiny and if anyone else arrives I would have to approach them to move their car and let us out. Slightly akward with people you don't know, particularly if you have to knock on their door, when their in bed in the morning to ask them. Thankfully the owners did that for us. The room was not to bad to eb honest. The pipes make a hell of a sound when you flush the loo. I thought the food was all right, my partner wasn't pleased when she took a mouthful of stale cereral though. The location is pretty good, close to everything, but I can assure you this is not the location to go for in the off-peak. Ultimately the B&B is very small. We had to share our small table with a pair of strangers. It was akward regardless of the amount of small talk one tried to create. Wasn't impressed when I was told no food or drink in my room after coming back from a little trip to the shop. Owners I thought were a bit off. example- when I was loading our push bikes in teh rain I put teh room key on the roof of the car. The owner tutted and came out from his little shelter away from teh rain to get it. Strange behaviour I thought. Best thing about this trip was the journey home.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jay Cottage? Share your experiences!