“wonderful, cosy evening” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 416 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Herbies has has a creatively eclectic menu with flavours from around the world.Enjoy the laid back bistro style atmosphere with the very best vegetarian food.A favourite with locals and visitors alike.
“wonderful, cosy evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great food, even our meat eaters were extremely happy. Menu has a lot of choice, the wine selection was fantastic and everything was so reasonably priced. A revisit is definitely on the cards!

Visited November 2012

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Needs a menu change badly, and either more or politer staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I used to be a huge fan of Herbies, as I loved their simple hearty veggie meals, particularly the bean burgers, the huge jacket potatoes with the fillings and beautiful verdant side salads and the pitta and dips. The place was always busy and hard to get a seat in, but was worth it because the food was lovely, cheap, healthy and the waiting staff (although overworked!) were always pleasant and friendly.

What a difference these days. The menu is smaller as are the portions, the plates lack imagination and enthusiasm, but worst of all the staff all seem to be young students who don't have the sense or courtesy to keep an eye on tables (meaning orders are taken in the wrong order), or neglect customers to the point that they lose all good will. I was sat waiting for someone to take my order for over ten minutes and watched several other people served and the floor circled three times before I was noticed. When I finally did attract the distracted young waiter's attention I made a cheery joke about feeling invisible and was coldly informed that the restaurant was "very busy". I suggested that an apology might have been a better answer and got a stare.

Won't be going again, despite having been a loyal customers since the early 90s. Pull your socks up Herbies.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We called in on the evening of Christmas eve without reserving a table and despite being ultra busy we were welcomed and offered the last table for 2 in the restaurant. As ever, the staff were really helpful and even though it was a busy night the food and service was excellent. we usually eat here at lunch times but whether evening or lunchtime we cannot fault the food or service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, England
“Good - but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Massive portions of home cooked style food. There's a few areas I think they could improve in, but mostly it's pretty good.

I think some of the food could do with a bit of tweaking - for instance I had the winter vegetable crumble, but there was too much crumble and the crumble was very dry and powdery. Add a bit of moisture to the crumble topping (or cheese?) and it would go up a level.

My wife had a cheesecake and felt the cheese element wasn't sweet enough, and just tasted like a blend of cheese and cream.

All things that could be easily fixed.

Finally it would be nice if they had paper towels or a hand dryer in the toilet. The loos have real towels, but this isn't nice from a hygiene point of view.

We feel the price is a bit high for cafe style food.

That said - these things wouldn't stop us from going again. It was really busy so they are clearly popular, and they have a big selection on the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My daughter and I went for a light lunch. The jacket potatoes were cold, my meagre portion of baked beans were cold too. We asked for a side salad each which was a small plate of just a few lettuce leaves @ £3 a plate! A very expensive light meal of poor quality.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
anthony M, Owner at Herbies, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I am really sorry you were disappointed with your meal. Unfortunately the kitchen was not aware that the jacket potatoes were for adults as you chose from our under 12,s menu. We try not to over heat food being served to young children. The salad you ordered was not our standard mixed salad but a green salad which consists only of green leaves.Im sorry you did not mention your dissatisfaction at the time as i am sure we could have rectified the problem.