“A Great Evening” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #142 of 416 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The ASK Italian restaurant group boasts an excellent Exeter venue, situated in a stunning period building on the green next to Exeter Cathedral. The ASK Italian restaurant has recently gone through an extensive refurbishment. We've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Tiverton
“A Great Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went to Ask in Exeter on 15th December 2013 for the first time. What a great evening! The food was excellent, the service was quick and the staff were both friendly and attentive. Particularly Rowley who looked after our table. A credit to the company. We will certainly be returning in the new year.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sidmouth, Devon.
“First rate.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Since first coming to this restaurant last summer, on my own, I decided that nowhere was better than here for an excellent meal, friendly staff and stately surroundings. I loved the buzz of staff whizzing around and the general ambience was great. The music was varied and added to the atmosphere. The new manager, Tony, was the perfect host today on my umpteenth visit, as he was when I first visited. Each time I visited, I have never been shunted into a corner or ignored if there was anything I wanted. The food is well priced, varied and comes piping hot. There is competition, but for views and eating in somewhere with character, this restaurant cannot be beaten. I like the idea of separate rooms. It is the oldest part of Exeter. If you want modern/bland and do not have Italian in your soul - go somewhere else. Booking makes sense as it is not massive like London.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Very, Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Booked for a Saturday night after taking my son back to University. Busy but not uncomfortable. Pleasant and informative staff and excellent food - better value than Zizzi and better quality than Pizza Express. Will definitely go back on next visit. Good location near Cathedral but best to book as the whole area gets very busy.

Exeter, England, United Kingdom
“Rude Encounter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

A few friends and I visited Ask around 6pm on a Thursday, we hadn't booked but thought given the early time we may be lucky. We waited at the entrance where 3 or 4 members of staff passed us without any acknowledgement or customary 'be with you shortly'. Finally the floor manager 'greeted' us with a disapproving cold regard as he clearly clocked us as students. He scoffed when we said we hadn't booked, fleetingly flicked the page of his bookings and told us he had a table at quarter to ten. Not very helpful at 6 o'clock, I don't appreciate being treated like a child at 21. Please remember you work in the customer service sector and brush up on your manners. Such a shame as Ask was a favourite restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Shan't go again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Not a good experience. The restaurant is divided in to several rooms with one right in front of the kitchen. I would advise anyone not to sit in this area as you will be bombarded by the constant noise from the kitchen (it made my ears ache and I couldn't hear my companion talk) and if unlucky enough, as I was, a perfect view of the kitchen waste area.

The main bar area would be pleasant enough if it wasn't for the gradual build up of empties stacking up on the counter, where they were also serving drinks and coffee from.

The food wasn't too bad and in all honesty the staff were as good as basic untrained staff can be. Mediocre at best. (I'm sure they are all very nice and their mummies love them).

This is my second time here and I am positive I won't be bothering again, unless they can assure me that these two very basic problems have been sorted.

• Visited November 2013