“Best food and accommodation in the area.” 5 of 5 stars

Chi Restaurant & Bar
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Fore Street | Kenton, Exeter, England   |
Ranked #22 of 73 Exeter B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Best food and accommodation in the area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have stayed at Chi previously in September last year, and as far as I am concerned the best for accommodation,service, and food in the area.
Once again I stayed solo for three nights from 01/04/2014.
Great service with friendly staff.
A great room, clean, tidy, and well equipped with a 32 inch wall mounted TV set.
The food was superb, and you must try the spare ribs and sea bass.
Coming from London where you are spoilt for choice with quality restaurants
this place is a real find.
Very reasonably priced considering the quality of the service, surroundings and food.
My thanks to Sui and her staff.
You will certainly see me again if I have to visit the Langdon Hospital.
Thanks,
Paul Whitmore

Room Tip: The road side rooms can have traffic noise during rush hour, but I can assure the reader this did no...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at Chi for three nights 17th. of September until 20th.
Was somewhat concerned about my choice of accommodation as I had stayed there previously some seven years ago when it was a pub named Devon Arms, but it was near to Dawlish where I had to do personal business over a period of four days,
Happy to say my choice was excellent and I cannot recommend Chi highly enough.
The single room was clean and adequately furnished.
I am somewhat disabled, but Mr. Choy helped me with my luggage up the stairs which are very steep.
The bonus is the food, and I ate in the superbly decorated dining room each night I was there, and coming from London where the local restaurants are excellent was pleasantly surprised. If you are staying there given the restaurant a go. Suggest spare ribs and the steamed bass. Great.
The full english breakfast is good value and will set you up for the day.
Criticisms. Yes. Nowhere is perfect.
The wall mounted TV is to small to be viewed from the bed, and the pillows are to hard, and if you book there try and ring them before you arrive as you could find yourselves banging on the door in the rain.
But taking the accommodation and the food into account I would suggest that Chi represents excellent value.
I will certainly book again if I find myself spending time in Dawlish.
Well done Chi.

Room Tip: The single is small and the shower takes some getting used to. Do not set on 5 or 6 but 3 or you wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Marlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I wanted to stay in Devon for a few days so a room with en suite at a restaurant should have been perfect. Good things first: room was clean & tidy...sorry, that's it. We notified them in advance that we wouldn't be arriving until mid-evening on a Monday but nobody bothered to tell us that the restaurant is closed on Mondays so, as there was nowhere else to eat in the village, we had to settle for coffee, biscuits and an early night. We also waited over 10 minutes in the lobby area before a hunt through the ground floor eventually produced somebody to take us to our room; not much of a welcome.

Upstairs, we knew the room would be small but were amazed at just how small. Tiny double bed - very snug as we both rolled to the dip in the middle. No privacy as there was no door separating the shower & hand basin from the bed and though there was a door on the loo, it would not latch. Plenty of towels and shower gel available, tea/coffee tray with biscuits and a single small bottle of water, and the tiniest wardrobe I've ever seen - the same size as my locker at work (though it did have a safe inside it). Couldn't set clock radio (glad I had brought my own) and had to climb over the single armchair in order to reach my side of the bed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChiRestaurant, Owner at Chi Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Firstly, I would like to apologise for your wait upon arrival.
As we are a small business, we are unable to provide staff waiting at the reception at all times, unless during opening hours.
The front door is usually locked whilst we are closed. Guests arriving to check in, are able to ring the door bell for prompt service.
Unfortunately on this occasion, the door was left open by one of our guest.

It is clearly stated on our website that our restaurant is closed every Monday.
There are ample restaurant/pubs within 5-10 minute drive to neighbouring villages.

The wardrobe provided is small, but is usually sufficient for several nights stay.
The bed in the room is a standard 4ft 6in bed.
Our small double rooms have all the same facilities as our larger rooms. The size of the room is reflected in the price difference

Apart from the faulty lock on the toilet door, which we were unaware of but will fix immediately, the room itself is in good, clean working order.
We would have gladly moved you to another room, or perhaps fixed the door. But during your stay, we were not made aware of your dissatisfaction until now.
I am somewhat disheartened by the ‘Terrible’ you have rated us but appreciate your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The room we had was very very clean and nicely furnished although small and I did bump my head on the tv during night. the little extras were nice e.g. bottle of water, slippers and other bitscand bobs. The shower was absolute rubbish! The staff service was also efficient but to the point. The downside was the small room as felt like the furniture was a bit crammed in. Overall I was a nice place to stay. Both my partner and I had a bad nights sleep which was due to a very hard mattress but we are used to memory foam!

Had a nice night in the pub opposite.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Room Tip: Make sure yr shower is adequate
worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

well you just have to go to this place its brilliant superb food and great food and the bonus is its an hotel just great try it you will not be dissapointed we have taken friends here and have sent others no one was the least bit dissapointed and all agreed it was perfect food and such a nice place

Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Chi describes itself as a restaurant with rooms and this is exactly what it is. An old pub in the village of Kenton (12 - 15 minutes outside Exeter) has been converted to a fairly upmarket Chinese restaurant with a menu that has a focus on fresh fish. Honk Kong money I think and the conversion of the restaurant area is extremely good quality and very tasteful. The young couple running Chi are delightful and really happy to help in any way they can.
Rooms - we stayed three nights during the recent hot weather and in the main it was very comfortable. It is a B&B and the furniture is not 4* hotel but is clean and perfectly adequate. Comfortable and clean if basic bed. Electric shower, plenty of hot water, complimentary soap, shampoo etc. Tea and coffee facilities in the room with bottled water and quality biscuits. The floor boards squeak a lot but it is an old building converted. It makes a more fun place to stay for a few days if staying in Exeter itself is not essential. It is not really a place for a two week holiday - that is the job of a conventional B&B, but it is tasteful - lovely garden - and an economical alternative to Exeter B&Bs. Nice to go down in the evening to a really good Chinese meal without having to drive which would normally be the case with a conventional B&B. Prices in the restaurant are toward the high end but quality is high and portions are large - possibly too large. If you need a change there is a fine dining restaurant opposite (Rodean) which is run by what the locals call a "posh" chef. Very into presentation and the food is highly rated by same locals.
I was disappointed that the Chi restaurant was only open Tue to Sun evenings. They used to open for lunch but must have not had enough custom to make this economical. The downside of this is that the place seems deserted most of the time with the bar and lounges closed except the evenings the restaurant is open. I have stayed in similar places in the past (pubs rather than Chinese) and you could have a drink / coffee / snack from mid morning to late. This didn't happen here and I guess this was down to general sluggishness in their trade.
Breakfasts were rather good with choices that included Dim Sum - a first for me. The fruit option included lychees, two kinds of melon, pineapple and strawberries and showed the quality of the kitchen in its presentation. However you are asked for your breakfast choice and time before you have actually got to your room, I know they do this to keep quality high and waiting times to a minimum but the process needs to be a bit more customer friendly. This is my only negative comment and I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by this. A good place to stay and for the price very good value. The B&B down the road offers a cup of tea and a slice of lime cake on arrival and a chat to get to know you. Don't expect this at Chi - I hate this anyway - focus on the convenience of the excellent Chi restaurant or Rodean across the road, all without needing a car.
There have been comments on Tripadvisor about traffic noise - yes - but only really noticeable during the morning rush - so get up at 07:30, enjoy the area and forget the noise.
Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chi Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!