“Great service, good food” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Spring Sale Room & Dinner
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great service, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at the Devon Hotel on 22 September as attending a dinner. Our room was at the front on the ground floor of the motel. Room was compact, but clean and comfortable and bathroom was very nice. Size of room didn't matter to us as we were in, changed, off to the dinner, back to sleep, up in the morning and off home after breakfast. Whilst it is on a busy road this didn't bother us either as we live next to a busy road so we're used to traffic noise. Food was good, service (at the dinner, at reception and at breakfast) was great. In fact, we were slightly late for breakfast (our fault, we hadn't checked times when we checked in!) but the staff were great and rustled us up something although they were already busy preparing for lunch (I understand they have a very good, very popular carvery lunch on a Sunday). Customer service can be sadly lacking in the UK but not at the Devon Hotel. Would have rated very good, but the customer service means we have rated excellent. Well done to the staff and management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Harrogate
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having stayed at 2 other excellent hotels in the Brend Group I was deeply disappointed with the Devon Hotel. We had a tiny room at the front of the hotel which was dowdy and depressing. The room was too hot but when you opened the window the traffic noise was deafening. Even with the windows shut it was too noisy to sleep.We understand it is near a abusy road but the brochure makes it look as if it is set well back; there should be some mention of the traffic noise.
On the positive side the restaurant was excellent and the restaurant manager, Phil, was friendly and professional.
This is apoor advert for the brend group and should be rated 2 star for room quality.

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After wedding meal on 22nd September 2012. Perfect meal, wonderful staff and lovely setting.

Compimentary Bucks fizz and orange juice in garden on arrival, just perfect!

We would highly recommend The Devon Hotel and Carriages Brasserie to any one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Did I like the Devon Hotel? Yes & No!
Liked the rooms, Nice bathroom with bath and shower, big wide comfortable bed and wide screen free-view TV.
Didn't like the three steep steps up to the room which could be lethal when leaving the room.
(Note I was on the 2nd Floor of the Motel type accommodation block which was separate from the bar and restaurant)
The door had to be banged to close it, always annoying at night time.
The breakfasts were buffet style, amongst the best full English I have ever had.
The waitress was an absolute babe but much to cheerful for me at that time in the morning. she was cheerful in the evening too.
I am used to women who are grumpy when they are not nagging!
The evening meals were excellent too, but expensive as was the breakfast.
Not being able to get a suitable restaurant reservation in the evening was very annoying especially as I wanted to be finished in time to watch the Championship league.
A quick 20 mins trip to Puffing Billy (recommended) solved the food problem but i missed the first half.
The location of the hotel was good, not far from the M5 or the airport and even Dawlish and Torquay.
What was not so good was that it was situated on a very busy island and until the law ensures effective silencers are fitted to all motor bikes and rally cars I will not return here.

Shrivenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed just the one night due to attending a seminar at Exeter Rugby Stadium. Upon arriving the staff were quck and efficeint at the checking in process. I was given a room on the first floor and was amazed at how lovely it was, a huge king size bed, all very clean, nice bathroom which sparkled it was so clean !!! Tea & coffee available complete with buscuits which was a nice touch too.
The only downside is the room walls do seem to be a bit thin, I heard a mobile phone conversation that went on for nearly 2 hours in the next room!! I put the TV sound up but could still here them !!!
Breakfast & dinner was included in the cost, both brilliant value for money and both very good. The young lady at dinner was great and very customer focussed, cheerful and chatty which was nice, so well done to having such lovely staff.
I would def stay at this hotel again and would let others know to stay there too.

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

It was a bit noisy from traffic which is to be expected as hotel is on a very busy roundabout. Hotel is split into two buildings, one is the "motel" part (ie, rooms) and the second part is a short walk to the restaurant and function rooms. This is actually quite nice. After an evening out I ordered coffee, (very good) a brandy and a Baileys for the wife. The latter is sold at 25mls for £3.40. This means for a "standard" measure (50 mls) this would have cost £6.80 or retail to the hotel of £168 per 1 liter bottle. My comments to the bar staff and manager failed to get any understanding of my point. Generally speaking our 3 night visit was OK and staff were friendly. I do think they should cook/fry breakfast eggs perhaps 4-6 at a time, not a trayful going solid from being out for too long.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel is great, even though the downstairs rooms are slightly compact.
(when it was a Motel, these were the garages). Tastefully decorated, but compact.
Telephone them after 10:30pm, you'll never get answered.
Often my work carries on till the wee hours and my instructions for next working day and where I am visiting come via email late evening. So I need to book hotel accomodation, but when it comes to The Devon Hotel they don't answer I have tried to contact them 4 / 5 times this year, and I have rung between 10:30 and midnight, and I don't get answered. It just rings and rings. All I want to do is book a room. So I have to take my business elsewhere. They state reception is manned 24/7,
but sadly it's not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Devon Hotel and your kind comments.

We have Night Managers for security and health & safety of our residents each & every night, with a 24 hour room service available for refreshments.

With regards to the communication breakdown, we are sorry if our staff were unable to answer your call, it signifies that as a company we have moved to more online reservations, so that bookings can be made at any time on our easy customer friendly system set out on our web site or alternatively use one of the well know booking agents which are operating partners with ourselves.

Been to The Devon Hotel? Share your experiences!