“The front rooms need thick, heavy, black out curtains” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dunmore Guest House

Dunmore Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Dunmore Guest House
You added Dunmore Guest House to your Saves list
22 Blackall Rd, Exeter EX4 4HE , England   |
Ranked #59 of 73 Exeter B&B and Inns
york
“The front rooms need thick, heavy, black out curtains”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I was crazy to stay here. I am fussy about noise, light, cleanliness & cotton sheets. I knew it was on a busy road and I asked for a back bedroom but there were none & they said it would be quiet with the window closed.
I was still awake at 3am. The traffic noise, the city lights, as bright as day, shining through the pale curtains, the person snoring on the other side of the stud wall, and the polyester sheets, all contributed to my insomnia.
I couldn't face breakfast after such a night so I can't rate that and the room was clean. The price was the same as I pay at my regular B&B in Bristol so it wasn't cheap.
If the owners could invest in some thick, heavy, blackout curtains & some cotton sheets the front rooms would be 100% better.

Room Tip: Don't book a front bedroom
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
lewis666, Owner at Dunmore Guest House, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
congratulations, I would just like to add that in twenty four years of running the guest house you were the rudest guest we have ever had and that is saying something as we have had thousands of guests stay over the years. Also the mess left in your room after your stay was disgusting to say the least. !

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

We wanted a B&B to stay in Exeter for one night - the Dunmore ticked all the boxes. It was clean and tidy, with a good central location and reasonably priced. Although we had a room at the front, the double glazing kept traffic noise to a minimum. I liked the wifi broadband and vouchers for on-street parking - both provided at no extra charge. We will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We had a large, very sunny room with sofa! Spotlessly clean, and a nice little bathroom with good shower. Double glazed windows and solid walls, so it was quiet, despite being at the front of the house and by the entrance (and I'm a light sleeper!). Lots of tourist information leaflets and a useful guide to the city. We overslept to the end of the official breakfast time, but the hostess was very amenable and provided a cooked breakfast and did not hurry us in any way. Good location, easy walking distance to the city centre, Central Station and about 15 minute's walk from Exeter St. Davids. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
basingstoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

coming from a long journey by train it was lovely to be welcomed into the Dunmore by their friendly staff. It was our first business trip to Exeter and we would absolutely stay at the Dunmore next time we stay in Exeter. We were suprised by the value for money at the guest house. Can you believe they had flat screen TV's and free wi-fi with good signal. We didn't have any time to thank the staff as we had to catch a train and hopefully they read this. Thanks for a lovely stay. We will pass on recommendations to friends.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
croydon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

I stay in many B&B's due to my work and found this guest house to be well worth the money.
On arrival i was greeted by a pleasant lady who gave me all the information i required to get to the company i needed to be at the following morning and the best places to eat in Exeter.

My room was very spacious and extremley clean, fresh towels and shower supplies were waiting in a lovely decorated room. The Dunmore made my stay incredibly comfortable with little guestures like the complimentary bottled water and other little perks that you find around the room.

The breakfast was more than substancial comprising of crossiants, fruit, yoghurt, cereals ( and actimel!!!! ) and a full english, toast and tea/coffee.

The ladies were so nice and lovely to talk to during breakfast. I had a wonderful stay.

Will always make the Dunmore my first call when having to stay in Devon.

• Liked — The room was cosy warm and v clean.
  • Disliked — No car park but on street parking with permits issued.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new romney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

The only reason I’m writing this review is because it’s not very often that you get a Bed and breakfast that bends over backwards to accommodate such a large party. Being a small friendly B & B the lady was unable to provide us with the rooms required however they managed to located other B & B within the area. We had a fantastic weekend with a warm welcome good accommodation and fantastic food, only wish we hadn’t of lost to Exeter City.

• Liked — warm welcome
  • Disliked — nil
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
east anglia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

I have stayed in this B & B several times over the past 18 months and you must remember that this is a B & B and not a 4 or 5 star hotel.

The cost to stay here (for 2) including cooked breakfast is about a third of a 4 or 5 star hotel

I have always been given a warm friendly welcome both by the owner and the manager.

Walking distance of the city and university (but its uphill) - 7 mins drive from Dunmore to the university (door to door)

Starting with the rooms - all rooms are exceptionally clean with basic tea/coffee facility, tv and additional lighting (I find it difficult to read in some hotels but the lighting here is good and I have found that I can read in this B& B). Some rooms are en-suite (again very clean). I think most of the rooms are colour co-orindinated (curtains and bedlinen of the same colour). All the rooms I have stayed in the bed linen and towels have been fresh and clean.

The beds (this is difficult because different people like different types of beds and its a very personal thing). I found that rooms 9 and 3 had the best beds for me.

Towels soft and clean. I have always been given shampoo, conditioner and body wash (you wont get that in the Travel Lodge). I showered early morning and again before going out for dinner and had loads of hot water.

Heating ..I've found that the room temperature was a little too warm for me so I turned down the heating (which I think runs all night (I stayed recently on the very windy day and night).

I slept well and woke to the smell of a wonderfuld cooked breakfast. I simply adore the cooked breakfast - hot, substantial and very filling. Unlimited tea, coffee and toast (I can last until dinnner!). There are also the normal range of cerals, juices, crossaints, fruit, yoghurts etc.

There are no off street parking facilities (you can park outside overnight and until about 11am free - traffic wardens about after that time) but if you need a permit one can be given for the length of your stay or alternatively use Howell Road long stay car park (if you have a room at the front you should be able to see your car).

The road can be fairly busy (early morning and rush hour) but unless you open the windows at the front you dont hear the noise. I think the windows are all double glazed. (I stayed in another place but couldnt slepp to due to the volume of traffic and noise).

I have stayed in many B & B's as well as top London hotels (some have been real disasters). I enjoy staying here - I personally think its very good value for money. Its comfortable and very clean. I feel I am very well looked after and will hopefull stay again soon. Thanks girls

Stayed January 2007

Been to Dunmore Guest House? Share your experiences!