“Convenient but loveless!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Exeter
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Convenient but loveless!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a hotel that I have used a few times before ... so I knew what I was letting myself in for!! Lets start with the plus point - it is across the road from St Davids railway station and therefore extremely convenient as a journey start/finish point if travelling around the West Country by rail.
Now to the reality - it is a former British Transport Hotel - and appears to have seen little spent on it since those days. Old décor/fittings in the rooms accessed through a "main" entrance that also doubles as the access to the public bar. Have only sampled the English breakfast (adequate) and not even seen the food menu otherwise. Oh and the breakfast serving time is an hour later on a Monday (puts me off staying on a Sunday night).
To sum up the appearance of this hotel in 2 words - "uncared for".

Room Tip: I don't think there are any?
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

As soon as I arrived I thought, Christ on a bike.
It's an old building in need of desperate repair. It's one of those smelly old pubs you find beside the railway station.
Upon my arrival into reception I was created by a lovely lady. Very pleasent and polite.
As I walked through the hotel to find my room I noticed the musty smell eminating from the pub on the ground floor. The yellow nicotine stains still present on the paint and plastic fittings.

Once I got into my room I found it neat and smell free.
I did my usual inspection to ensure it was clean enough. Looked at the walls, bed, bathroom and toilet.
The bed had eight hairs on the duvet and two pubic hairs on my pillow.
The bathroom and toilet were clean as a whistle.

I chose not to complain, as in my experience, if you find a curly one in one bed then most likely you will find one in another.

I chose to go and drown my sorrows in the bar, £3.95 for a pint, and was greated by a small bar surrounded by locals. Not the overly friendly welcome locals but the defensive "this is our bar" type. I shoved my way to the bar and asked for my drink, the girl behind the bar was polite and pleasent.
I chose my seat in the back corner so I could see any bar stools coming ny way.

I stay in many types of hotels all over the country. This place I found to be old, out dated, smelly and in need of a refurb.
I would not stay here again when I return to the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This room was booked by my company for a business trip. I also had a colleague staying in another room. We both recommend anyone thinking of booking not to bother. We have reported how bad it was to the company booking department so no one else has to stay here. The room smell of damp. The carpet was ripped. There were tiles missing in the bathroom. The grouting was black. The bathroom was so small they have put the sink in the bedroom. The shower attachment was on the side wall so did not cover you, I had to hold it over my body to was. The door to the bathroom was a sliding door which would not close due the the ripped carpet. There was no headboard for the bed. The sheets were so old they were yellow, not white. The corridors are not well lit. And why anyone presents a chopped up fried egg as a scrambled is beyond me.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Marazion
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel. The room was comfortable and warm but like the rest of the hotel it is sadly lacking in TLC.Tiles missing in the bathroon ,chipped and craked lino,the paintwork leaves a lot to be desired though out the complete hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermanus, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This review is more for single travelers as I have no idea about the double rooms. The single was neat, tidy and clean. The included breakfast in the downstairs restaurant was a great start for the day.
As I arrived early in the day the hotel let me leave the luggage in their care and as I left late in the day they held it again for me.
Generally the staff attitude was one of being pleased to help.
Its close location to buses and trains make it an ideal city stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in September 20123. This hotel was perfectly adequate for the price. My single room was clean (if a bit on the small side), the staff were pleasant and friendly and the breakfast was good (although the poached egg I asked for seemed to have been 'poached' in hot oil). As per other reviews, extremely convenient for the station. Also highly convenient for the kebab van opposite which is open until 4am on Fridays and Saturdays.
Exactly what I'd expected for the price, if anything, I was pleasantly surprised after reading the other reviews.

Would definitely stay again if I needed a budget option in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

If you planning to tour Devon by train with Exeter as base, then this is a great place to stay- it is just outside the railway station (less than 50 metres); the room that I was in was en-suite; good English breakfast, basic but pleasant service and the pub is right inside the hotel! Good value for money! Exeter Centre is also just 12 minutes walk for dining out!

Room Tip: Ask for an suite room on second floor - they are quieter with no noise from the pub; although one ma...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Great Western Hotel? Share your experiences!