“Could do better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #121 of 416 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: American, Diner, Ice Cream, cuisine.name.191
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A modern twist on the American Diner. Serving fresh fast food, produce sourced locally and all meat is free range. Ruby red beef straight from the farm, local ciders and international beers, great wine list.Grade 2 listed building, cool interior, big benches and comfy booths.
Exeter
“Could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a 3.5 overall, the food s a 4 though. I was so excited by this place but it fails to deliver. Having walked out the first two times after waited ages to order and watching others walk out having waited an hour for food, we finally booed for earlier int the evening for a big group. The food was good not exceptional, chips are good and side order portions very generous. This place lacks massively though in atmosphere and in the offering of anything unique or special. I'm sure it could be great with a few tweaks but for now there's not enough to return

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've been to Ruby's many times since it opened earlier this year- with my partner for lunch, with two teenage girls (who thought it was the coolest place to be on a Saturday night), with friend and baby (the staff were super lovely about the baby throwing food on the floor), for a girls from work lunch and with my mum. That tells you something about the versatility of this diner.
My favourite is the bareback chicken burger- really moist chicken with a chargrilled flavour. A bowl of skinny fries is plenty for two to share. Make sure you leave room for dessert- the ice-cream, waffles and hot fudge sauce are amazing! Honestly one of the most delicious desserts I've had.
Staff are great, decor is cool, ethos is spot on for people who care about eating decent food at a great price from local suppliers. I'm sure we'll go there many more times this year. I'd pick Ruby's over any of the chain restaurants in Exeter every time. It's restaurants like this that make Exeter a great place to live.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“If I only ever eat 1 burger, I'm going up Ruby's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We've visited Ruby's many times now sampling the delicious breakfasts to scoffing gown the awesome burgers later on.

I really can't say enough about this place, the atmosphere is very cool without trying hard at it, the place looks retro-modern giving a diner feel, but without any offensive neon ;)

We turned up a couple of days ago with our newborn and the staff were very accommodating fitting us on a table where the buggy could go next to us without a squeeze (another thing to remember they haven't tried yo cram a thousand tables in which is really nice).

As the title says if I only ever have I've more burger it would be the piggy at Ruby's; beef burger in soft bun with lettuce served with a gurkin....oh and it is also topped with their mouthwatering pulled pork, get it, get done fries and a salad as sides and you will thank me!

I haven't even started in the drinks yet! Rich Filter coffee with free refills (very American), sweet cold five dollar shakes (£3.50 inenglish money - worth every penny!!) and anything else you can think of.

Just go Ruby's, coolest place yo eat in Exeter

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Quality experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Very tasty food and freshly cooked yet very prompt service. The bowls of chips are huge, definitely one to share! The strawberry milkshake was also huge and yummy. I would recommend this for friends or families, we went on our lunch break and had a lovely break from work in a great atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Uninspiring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great concept with good service but over priced and lacked any magic.
Probably wouldn't return as the offer is not that inspiring and so many other places to try in Exeter.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere